What is your estimated global sales of shenmue 3

I hope 1 million at least, but I’m not certain it can actually happens... I’ve seen that Shenmue 3 is featured in the the most wanted games list for Famitsu’s readers (although it doesn’t reach the top 10, it’s still higher listed than Yakuza 7), so I really hope it will sell well enough in Japan to compensate the poor sales I’m expecting from western markets.

Yea that's annoying, it would be dead for awhile, but as soon as 2k/rockstar makes a noteworthy announcement, all of a sudden people are back to acting like It's the best ever, even though they don't believe it themselves, damn tools.

It's probably the whole bandwagon thing. People are afraid of saying "You know what? This actually isn't very good but I won't admit to it cause everybody else loves it". But everybody else is pretending aswell.

Rockstar just can't do anything wrong. But its the shallow image their games represent IMO. We all grew up with GTA and the first thing that a lot people mentioned whilst talking about it was "You can sleep with prostitutes" like it sells the game. Guns. Violence. Prostitutes. If it doesn't have any of these it probably won't sell. Ya know...cause its cool and everybody loves it so it means I should love it.

Same thing happened with Call Of Duty. But after so many years people started seeing the light.

The last good Call of Duty in my opinion was 2.

How many people say Mass Effect 2 and 3 were the best? Because it simplified too much and turned into a cover shooter. In my opinion Mass Effect 1 was the best. Went downhill after that which is a massive shame.

It's so refreshing to hear we will be getting a proper Shenmue experience. Don't listen to the masses. Listen to the passion. Make art.

I hope 1 million at least, but I’m not certain it can actually happens... I’ve seen that Shenmue 3 is featured in the the most wanted games list for Famitsu’s readers (although it doesn’t reach the top 10, it’s still higher listed than Yakuza 7), so I really hope it will sell well enough in Japan to compensate the poor sales I’m expecting from western markets.

Um you do realize Japan is literally Shenmue's worst market don't you? If It's on such a list in Japan at all, that should give you more faith in the western sales numbers.

Um you do realize Japan is literally Shenmue's worst market don't you? If It's on such a list in Japan at all, that should give you more faith in the western sales numbers.

You're right, but on the same note, there is potential in an untapped Asian market as Shenmue III will be released in China. Hopefully it does well there.

You're right, but on the same note, there is potential in an untapped Asian market as Shenmue III will be released in China. Hopefully it does well there.

Yea I know, but China, and asia ingeneral is considered a completely different region from Japan.

How's Korea for the console market? Is Shenmue scheduled for release there?

I don't think the console market even exists in a "meaningful way there, however they have the biggest MMO market, so I imagine the PC market ingeneral is pretty big there as well.

If you look on the S3 EGS or Steam site, Korean language is not supported
and if you look in Korean online stores for Shenmue on PS4, there is no Shenmue 3.

First post here and I get to start it off with some good ol fashion pessimism.

I worry about this game's sales alot, I just see little to no traction for it anywhere outside of the die hard fans especially when you look at how little views and such it seems to actually get any time something related to it on youtube, which is great that we all like it but I just don't see any newcomers really being that hype to get into shenmue 3 especially when the marketing for it has been odd to say the least in addition to some of the negative press the epic games store fiasco caused. And now we see the game is getting sandwiched inbetween the wombo combo that it's releasing on ps4 with death stranding and on pc with red dead 2.

I honestly am bracing myself for this game to sell like 100K-200K. I hope to god I'm wrong cause I do want a Shenmue 4 and potentially 5 and all that jazz. But it's hard to really believe thats going to happen if im being totally real with myself. I think there's one wild card here that can make or break it, I really think this game has to review well, all us die hard will buy it regardless of the scores but for newcomers and the uncertainty of this games quality for many people that could be a make it or break it factor for many. To be frank I have no clue how 3 is gonna review, like at all, its a divisive game as is but its also just looking like an easy target for some, at least reassuring that so far reception from critics over actual gameplay being shown is that its clearly not the most polished game in the world but that its good so at the very least I don't expect the game to get trashed.

I for one am just grateful this game is happening and that it's shaping up nicely into what I want out of it. If 3 flops hard and it just kills off the series again, then I will honestly not really be complaining too much I'm just happy I got to see this story and type of game continue even if for a bit. But that sugar coated optimism aside, hell no give me the whole series if it can happen.

Welcome @jsh020.

As for the sales, at least 500000 would be good but hopefully it manages more to secure Shenmue 4 etc. On the other hand, some Yakuza games didn't sell well at all in the West but we eventually got sequels anyway. So you never know in the end without insight into financial details and specific business plans.

I assume that reviews will play a significant role though. Since many aren't familiar with the series they are less likely to just take a chance and buy without checking other impressions. A few usual suspects on Youtube will likely trash it but the demo also got several positive reactions from sceptics and Shenmue 3 gets quite some attention from gaming magazines/sites.

About Angry Joe trashing the game as mentioned earlier. He, Other Joe and Alex expressed interest in playing the game and it seemed genuine. Since he likes games as LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption 2 he clearly manages slower games which always helps when reviewing Shenmue.

First post here and I get to start it off with some good ol fashion pessimism.

I worry about this game's sales alot, I just see little to no traction for it anywhere outside of the die hard fans especially when you look at how little views and such it seems to actually get any time something related to it on youtube, which is great that we all like it but I just don't see any newcomers really being that hype to get into shenmue 3 especially when the marketing for it has been odd to say the least in addition to some of the negative press the epic games store fiasco caused. And now we see the game is getting sandwiched inbetween the wombo combo that it's releasing on ps4 with death stranding and on pc with red dead 2.

I honestly am bracing myself for this game to sell like 100K-200K. I hope to god I'm wrong cause I do want a Shenmue 4 and potentially 5 and all that jazz. But it's hard to really believe thats going to happen if im being totally real with myself. I think there's one wild card here that can make or break it, I really think this game has to review well, all us die hard will buy it regardless of the scores but for newcomers and the uncertainty of this games quality for many people that could be a make it or break it factor for many. To be frank I have no clue how 3 is gonna review, like at all, its a divisive game as is but its also just looking like an easy target for some, at least reassuring that so far reception from critics over actual gameplay being shown is that its clearly not the most polished game in the world but that its good so at the very least I don't expect the game to get trashed.

I for one am just grateful this game is happening and that it's shaping up nicely into what I want out of it. If 3 flops hard and it just kills off the series again, then I will honestly not really be complaining too much I'm just happy I got to see this story and type of game continue even if for a bit. But that sugar coated optimism aside, hell no give me the whole series if it can happen.

Welcome to the forums!

The RDR2 timing is unfortunate, true, the same thing happened to Alan Wake, which was completely overshadowed by the original one. However, it has been on consoles for over a year, and anyone truly desperate to play it has probably ponied up for a console version.

Death Stranding ...I just don't know what to make of this one. It looks more divisive to me than any game in recent memory. Personally, I can wait and pick it up next year. I like that it's out there and something different but I just haven't seen enough to want to buy it on release. The complete lack of end game to MGSV still hurts too, whether that was Konami's interference or not, but it certainly made my 40 hours with it, with zero payoff, seem pointless.

Shenmue 3 has a cult following, and the collectors editions have been consistently selling out across europe and the US version did sell out in 40 minutes, so there's a rabid fanbase out there. The lack of marketing makes sense - we are still too far out at this point - I would expect to see more on this front as we approach the end of the month and are into the final two week push.

Though overall, my feelings are similar to yours, if it does flop then I'm grateful for this third entry regardless, but I truly believe it won't, the market has changed so much since the DC days, I listed my thoughts in more detail earlier in the thread, I think the game will have a huge tail end, and we might not see sales figures for some time, but I honestly think this time next year we will have crossed the million mark, especially if the reviews are there too.

It's also nice to see games completely defy expectations, look at the Untitled Goose Game.

EF0EiUbVUAA3hTe

Fuck Zelda and Star Wars ! :ROFLMAO: Incredible achievement.

It's also nice to see games completely defy expectations, look at the Untitled Goose Game.

EF0EiUbVUAA3hTe

Fuck Zelda and Star Wars ! :ROFLMAO: Incredible achievement.
Good game too (y)

I started a thread about it here a week or so ago:

Honestly though, it's wonderful that a simple and charming game like that can in 2019, outsell the mighty Nintendo and Disney corporations.

Back