Why kickstarter to make S4? What about SEGA?

Yakuza is a great series.

You know what truly stank though?

VIRTUA QUEST

why the hell was THAT made??

Also this sucked:
I saw that too, and Virtua Quest was called the real Shenmue, and Yakuza is called better than Shenmue 3 all over the net. Every time I see it, it makes my blood boil. And all because of lack of cash Shenmue 3 had to make better faces and facial animations. I really so hated that thing, I never finished Yakuza 1, and I've played so many bad games to the end. Some better, some worse. That one though, I know I'm talking myself here. I plain hate it, sorry.

I saw that too, and Virtua Quest was called the real Shenmue, and Yakuza is called better than Shenmue 3 all over the net. Every time I see it, it makes my blood boil. And all because of lack of cash Shenmue 3 had to make better faces and facial animations. I really so hated that thing, I never finished Yakuza 1, and I've played so many bad games to the end. Some better, some worse. That one though, I know I'm talking myself here. I plain hate it, sorry.

Virtua Quest was called the real Shenmue?? :oops:
When did this ever happen? I never heard of that

Yakuza being called better than Shenmue in general has been said for years so you dont really need to even specify Shenmue 3. Many Yakuza fans feel Yakuza is the 'proper replacement for Shenmue' and all that noise, even though they are different games despite Yakuza obviously taking some forms of inspiration from it. Yakuza's DNA is beat em up (hence all the random battles, etc). Shenmue's is more point and click adventure (hence all the detective solving/talking to NPCs, investigating for clues etc)
Both series have their strengths and weaknesses. I dont like saying 'this is better than that'. It doesnt feel right to me. If Yakuza is the arms, then Shenmue is the legs. Why would you cut off your own legs?

In any case, you can't really make a judgement call on the Yakuza series by only playing Yakuza 1. That isn't even remotely fair. Yakuza 1 had a bad dub (good actors, just horribly directed with a botched script), fixed camera angles, and many other shortcuts.
The game was remade into Yakuza Kiwami which is much better. Same with Yakuza 2 (Yakuza Kiwami 2)
When the series moved to HD with Yakuza Kenzan!, a historical what if period piece spinoff, is when the series got an overhaul of sorts; free camera, completely 3D rendered environments etc. Thiis was repeated in Yakuza 3, then on and so forth through to Yakuza 6. The story focused primarily on Kiryu, the series protagonist, who in Yakuza 1, started off as a 35 year old ex convict, and his adopted daughter Haruka, who started off around 8 or 9 years old in Yakuza 1, and by Yakuza 6, she was 20 years old and Kiryu was 48. Each Yakuza game took place in the actual year and month the game came out in Japan (aside from Yakuza Zero, which is a prequel set in 1988 when Kiryu was 20 years old). No other video game series did something like this so its pretty special in that regard. You got to see the character development of these two main characters and how they grew over the years from 2005 to 2016.
Now Yakuza 7 is coming out, which stars a new protagonist, and the gameplay has gone to turn based, so that right there is a huge change.
I never thought it made sense to pit Yakuza and Shenmue against each other. Same with Sleeping Dogs. To me, if you're a fan of one, you should be a fan of all three. They are all special in their own way. Some people just like to be fanboys I guess.

Virtua Quest was called the real Shenmue?? :oops:
When did this ever happen? I never heard of that

Yakuza being called better than Shenmue in general has been said for years so you dont really need to even specify Shenmue 3. Many Yakuza fans feel Yakuza is the 'proper replacement for Shenmue' and all that noise, even though they are different games despite Yakuza obviously taking some forms of inspiration from it. Yakuza's DNA is beat em up (hence all the random battles, etc). Shenmue's is more point and click adventure (hence all the detective solving/talking to NPCs, investigating for clues etc)
Both series have their strengths and weaknesses. I dont like saying 'this is better than that'. It doesnt feel right to me. If Yakuza is the arms, then Shenmue is the legs. Why would you cut off your own legs?

In any case, you can't really make a judgement call on the Yakuza series by only playing Yakuza 1. That isn't even remotely fair. Yakuza 1 had a bad dub (good actors, just horribly directed with a botched script), fixed camera angles, and many other shortcuts.
The game was remade into Yakuza Kiwami which is much better. Same with Yakuza 2 (Yakuza Kiwami 2)
When the series moved to HD with Yakuza Kenzan!, a historical what if period piece spinoff, is when the series got an overhaul of sorts; free camera, completely 3D rendered environments etc. Thiis was repeated in Yakuza 3, then on and so forth through to Yakuza 6. The story focused primarily on Kiryu, the series protagonist, who in Yakuza 1, started off as a 35 year old ex convict, and his adopted daughter Haruka, who started off around 8 or 9 years old in Yakuza 1, and by Yakuza 6, she was 20 years old and Kiryu was 48. Each Yakuza game took place in the actual year and month the game came out in Japan (aside from Yakuza Zero, which is a prequel set in 1988 when Kiryu was 20 years old). No other video game series did something like this so its pretty special in that regard. You got to see the character development of these two main characters and how they grew over the years from 2005 to 2016.
Now Yakuza 7 is coming out, which stars a new protagonist, and the gameplay has gone to turn based, so that right there is a huge change.
I never thought it made sense to pit Yakuza and Shenmue against each other. Same with Sleeping Dogs. To me, if you're a fan of one, you should be a fan of all three. They are all special in their own way. Some people just like to be fanboys I guess.
I was interested in at least trying Yakuza 0. Now that Shenmue 3 finally happened. I don't see myself doing it this year, but I might next year. I hope I won't hate it as much. Sleeping dogs looks even more just action, and nothing else. I'd not enjoy it these days. It might even be good. There are too many good adventure/RPG games out now to bother for me. I grew out of plain fighters/shooters. They bore me.

I was interested in at least trying Yakuza 0. Now that Shenmue 3 finally happened. I don't see myself doing it this year, but I might next year. I hope I won't hate it as much. Sleeping dogs looks even more just action, and nothing else. I'd not enjoy it these days. It might even be good. There are too many good adventure/RPG games out now to bother for me. I grew out of plain fighters/shooters. They bore me.

Yeah it'd probably be a good idea getting back into it by playing Yakuza Zero. That game is set in 1988 anyway so its a good start to the series. Then move onto Yakuza Kiwami 1 which takes place immediately after it. Many people liked the improved combat of Yakuza Zero and its story.

In Sleeping Dogs, there's shooting mechanics but I only used them like sparingly for some certain parts where it was forced. 95% of the time I was fighting using martial arts. Also there's karaoke in that game as Yakuza also has. And the driving mechanics are good.

Also Yakuza 5 has five playable characters.
Kiryu Kazama - series protagonist
Saeijma has snowy mountain animal hunting
Shun Akiyama, the loan shark
Tatsuo Shinada, the ex baseball player
Haruka Sawamura, Kiryu's adopted daughter

Yakuza also had 5 cities:
Locations: The Five Big Cities

There were also character specific gameplay:
  • Kiryu's Arc: Taxi Driver
    Destiny Mission - As a taxi-driver, Kiryū earns his own keep in this manner. For a time limit, he has to take his passengers to their destination and at the same time watchful of the 'obstacles' that could snare points away, e.g. ignoring traffic rules or pedestrians.
    Race Battle - This happens in the midst of "Destiny Mission". Kiryū's taxi can undergo customizations like for e.g. turbo, the car's paint, sticker, tyre enhancement, wheel, tune-up, etc. You can even change the BGM playing during this mode.
    There is also a possibility to encounter Devil Killer, a street racing group.
  • Saejima's Arc: The Snow Mountain Hunter's Survival
    Using the "Law of the Jungle" to hunt, in order to survive. Dominate the nature of the snowy mountain and protect yourself from savage animals encounter. Experience ‘Real-Time Weather Changes' and the blizzard as well. Survival action in an extreme environment.
  • Haruka's Arc: The Road To Become An Idol
    Idol Lesson - A major record company's debut awaits the champion of the 'Princess League'. Haruka is the gemstone Dyna Chair talent agency From TV appearances to magazine interviews, Haruka is kept busy, as well as learning the basics of being an idol. Experience the entertainment field with performance, charm, agency's remuneration and fans are also something to look out for in this arc; while at the same time being a high school student.
  • Shinada's Arc: Batting Battle
    As a former professional baseball player, enhance his skills with his training coach, as he competes with his former high school teammate.

Yakuza is fun. I don’t consider gaming a competition. I l
I'm thinking of replaying it again sometime (especially since I got all the damn terminals but the trophy didn't pop; I suspect the guide I was using either missed one or in my haste, I neglected to get the VERY first one in the game), as I LOVE the gameplay and absolutely adore the plot; it is so well-done and the production values are superb for a mid-late PS3 title.

I want to see Nagoshi branch out and make another game like that; a different genre from Beat-'em-Up and make it a brand new story/universe.

Again, it worked quite well with BD, but if it indeed didn't sell as well as hoped, it could be the whole Shenmue sitch again (albeit a much cheaper game than 'mue was).
i would definitely love to see RGG studio work on something other than RGG. I have a feeling the new Monkey Ball reissue is testing the waters for a new Monkey Ball at least.

I still find it highly implausible Sega would ever ask RGG to work on a new Shenmue. A crossover? Possibly. I don’t share the opinion they’d do anything to the mood or vibe of Shenmue; I just don’t think there’s any incentive for them to work on it. I also doubt Yu Suzuki wants to share any creative control with RGG.

Yakuza is fun. I don’t consider gaming a competition. I l

i would definitely love to see RGG studio work on something other than RGG. I have a feeling the new Monkey Ball reissue is testing the waters for a new Monkey Ball at least.

I still find it highly implausible Sega would ever ask RGG to work on a new Shenmue. A crossover? Possibly. I don’t share the opinion they’d do anything to the mood or vibe of Shenmue; I just don’t think there’s any incentive for them to work on it. I also doubt Yu Suzuki wants to share any creative control with RGG.

Yu said no to a crossover

My boys... There's a thread of Yakuza saga if you want to continue there

Who says we'd need Sega or a Kickstarter? Shenmue III seems to be holding up well in sales right now. I'm in no ways claiming to be an expert, but if it sells even near the "realistic" number of 500,000, shouldn't there be more than enough profit to fund Shenmue IV?
Couple things: Shenmue's Kickstarter was "only" made up of around 70,000 backers, it made most of its money from those backers being extremely generous. Actual sales of the game appear to be pretty low (the only hard number I could find was 18k in Japan but it hasn't exactly been lighting up the charts) so 500k units may not be so realistic. I was shocked that the Kickstarter money, Epic money, and whatever was provided by the publishing partners, wasn't used to secure at least one more sequel. A second Kickstarter is unlikely to be anywhere near as successful.

From my own experience selling a game I'd say that the $7M KS was at least matched by other funding sources, requiring ~150k unit break even, likely 250k would be enough to get a sequel greenlit. That's 250k on top of the 70k who Kickstarted it, which I don't think is likely to happen. Games make most of their money near their launch window and Shenmue's lukewarm reviews and almost nonexistent marketing push (seriously, most people didn't even know it came out) have not done it any favors. I hope I'm wrong but Shenmue has always seemed to me like the kind of game that would benefit from charging the existing player base a premium (say $100/chapter) and offering a service model where it would release the remaining chapters that way. It's not the kind of game that's going to court new players unless they do a full remake with updated mechanics.

. It's not the kind of game that's going to court new players unless they do a full remake with updated mechanics.

Even if it did that, how many games with the heart of whats essentially a point and click adventure game, sell over 200k copies?
The original Shenmue selling 1.2 million was pretty impressive for its time in that regard. But essentially, when you strip away its third person character control, fighting system, at its core, its an investigative point and click, like Syberia, Myst, Life is Strange, or David Cage games (which the latter were inspired by Shenmue, and probably the only ones close to what I'm suggesting sales wise). Thats why I've always said that despite what people always try to say: Yakuza is nothing like Shenmue and neither of them are anything like GTA (though you will still see people saying they're trying to be one another).
The average gamer will not eat up slow paced adventure game.

maybe if Kojima made it

Shenmue sold 1.2 million copies, Yak uza sold 500k. It was all cost of making, plus of course catering to the lowest common denominator. shame be on them forever. That thing stank as a fighting game, stank as a sort of an RPG. It plain stank. I still have the DVD of that thing. Nothing on YouTube showed me it improved all that much in 6 games, visually, maybe.

Stop. Its one of the 5 best game series that Sega has ever created.

Even if it did that, how many games with the heart of whats essentially a point and click adventure game, sell over 200k copies?
The original Shenmue selling 1.2 million was pretty impressive for its time in that regard. But essentially, when you strip away its third person character control, fighting system, at its core, its an investigative point and click, like Syberia, Myst, Life is Strange, or David Cage games (which the latter were inspired by Shenmue, and probably the only ones close to what I'm suggesting sales wise).
True, these games don't usually have huge sales numbers but Shenmue certainly has the potential for mass appeal (lots of action, intriguing story, fun characters) that it constantly leans away from. It could be more "normal" (like a Bethesda RPG) or more "quirky" (like a Persona game), but it occupies this weird no man's land in between. It could also go the David Cagian set-piece driven, stripped down gameplay, pseudo-movie route but then it would need state of the art visuals and Shenmue is too big a story for that.

But I meant that S3 and beyond are unlikely to draw in virtually ANY new players (simply by virtue of its alienating mechanics and storyline) and that should be baked into the cake.

Thats why I've always said that despite what people always try to say: Yakuza is nothing like Shenmue and neither of them are anything like GTA (though you will still see people saying they're trying to be one another).
Agreed 100%. Though I find it interesting what Shenmue fans consider to be "in character" for Ryo or "on brand" for the series in general.

The average gamer will not eat up slow paced adventure game.
R.I.P. LucasArts

maybe if Kojima made it
Kojima is really good at capitalizing on his pretentiousness; people love an "auteur", which Suzuki definitely tried to be in the 90's.

But I meant that S3 and beyond are unlikely to draw in virtually ANY new players (simply by virtue of its alienating mechanics and storyline) and that should be baked into the cake.

I think that the ongoing negative publicity this series has had since its inception is ultimately what will always be the main reason it fails to draw in new fans.

Kojima is really good at capitalizing on his pretentiousness; people love an "auteur", which Suzuki definitely tried to be in the 90's.

Where'd you get that impression though? I never got that impression. Well, the internet certainly wasnt as big in the 90s as it is now plus there was no social media...(that Kojima loves to capitalize on in terms of branding himself; hence his pretentiousness as you put it)

I think that the ongoing negative publicity this series has had since its inception is ultimately what will always be the main reason it fails to draw in new fans.
Shenmue has always been held to an absurdly high standard compared to its contemporaries. Whenever I hear people complain about the fighting systems in the first 2 games I'm like, the PS2 GTA games routinely got perfect scores and have some of the worst shooting mechanics ever. People love to hate Shenmue (the Funhaus let's play is particularly brutal) and the memes have made it worse.

Where'd you get that impression though?
Shenmue begins with the obnoxious "produced and directed by Yu Suzuki" (as if he's some household name), most of his interviews at the time where he talks about creating a new genre, the whole cringy "FREE" acronym thing, the fact that Shenmue was this extravagant project of unmatched scale. That kind of thing. I think that's at least part of the reason people love to hate it, they point at it and go THIS was the most expensive game ever made at the time.

Shenmue has always been held to an absurdly high standard compared to its contemporaries. Whenever I hear people complain about the fighting systems in the first 2 games I'm like, the PS2 GTA games routinely got perfect scores and have some of the worst shooting mechanics ever. People love to hate Shenmue (the Funhaus let's play is particularly brutal) and the memes have made it worse.

Shenmue begins with the obnoxious "produced and directed by Yu Suzuki" (as if he's some household name), most of his interviews at the time where he talks about creating a new genre, the whole cringy "FREE" acronym thing, the fact that Shenmue was this extravagant project of unmatched scale. That kind of thing. I think that's at least part of the reason people love to hate it, they point at it and go THIS was the most expensive game ever made at the time.

All of that is Shenmue though which we all saw in 2000 when it came out, and 1999 when it was advertised.

Thats not really 'the 90's' then now is it.

The entire decade of the 90's, Suzuki was more of a 'let the games speak for themselves' kinda guy, Much like Nintendo's Miyamoto. And it was arcade games that was Suzuki's forte. Shenmue really was his first attempt at a story driven game on a large scale something he was working on since 1994 but in secret. by late 1999 is when we all got privy to what it was on a globally marketed scale.

Shenmue really was his first attempt at a story driven game on a large scale something he was working on since 1994 but in secret. by late 1999 is when we all got privy to what it was on a globally marketed scale.
Sorry, I meant specifically with regards to Shenmue. I know Suzuki never displayed that kind of attitude toward anything else. I just referenced the 90's because from basically '94-on he was working on Shenmue. This likely wasn't even his fault (he doesn't really seem to love the spotlight), near the early 2000s, when games started to cost and make a lot of money, there was this trend towards turning game designers into rock stars. Thankfully it passed.

Sorry, I meant specifically with regards to Shenmue. I know Suzuki never displayed that kind of attitude toward anything else. I just referenced the 90's because from basically '94-on he was working on Shenmue. This likely wasn't even his fault (he doesn't really seem to love the spotlight), near the early 2000s, when games started to cost and make a lot of money, there was this trend towards turning game designers into rock stars. Thankfully it passed.

But thats just it: games were expensive to make prior to Shenmue or FF VII etc. Think of how expensive it had to be to make games including their arcade cabinets for example. Hell, even Pokemon was expensive to make. Its just that the public wasn't privy to that knowledge until some companies chose to try to use that as an odd marketing strategy; or 'this game took this long to make!' (remember the FF VII ads?). I'm thinking it was probably SEGA who made this info known to the public as some sort of attempt to market the game which backfired. And its not like we were generally let to know that Suzuki was working on this 'huge game' during the years of 94 through 99'. We really only were made known of it on a large marketing scale by 99'.

But thats just it: games were expensive to make prior to Shenmue or FF VII etc. Think of how expensive it had to be to make games including their arcade cabinets for example. Hell, even Pokemon was expensive to make. Its just that the public wasn't privy to that knowledge until some companies chose to try to use that as an odd marketing strategy; or 'this game took this long to make!' (remember the FF VII ads?).
Making games became exponentially more expensive in 3D, but what really elevates these costs is the marketing budget. FF7 cost $45M to make but had a marketing budget of $100M (hence those ridiculous ads).

I'm thinking it was probably SEGA who made this info known to the public as some sort of attempt to market the game which backfired. And its not like we were generally let to know that Suzuki was working on this 'huge game' during the years of 94 through 99'. We really only were made known of it on a large marketing scale by 99'.
Yea it was definitely an attempt to sell the game. Even at the time I knew that there was no way $70M was just the cost for developing Shenmue 1. $70M was the total cost for developing Shenmue 1 and 2 across 2 systems over 6 years, which is a lot more in line with reality. Not sure why spending so much money on a game is considered a good thing (wasn't Destiny's budget like $500M or something stupid like that?), but it's definitely used as a cudgel to beat Shenmue with now.

Making games became exponentially more expensive in 3D

I dont think SNK or Capcom would agree with this quote as an absolute.
There's a reason SNK moved to 3D. Its cheaper to make than the sprite work.
It certainly depends on the type of game.

I dont think SNK or Capcom would agree with this quote as an absolute.
There's a reason SNK moved to 3D. Its cheaper to make than the sprite work.
It certainly depends on the type of game.
There are a lot of factors that go into this decision. 3D has more mass appeal than 2D, just like 2D sprites have more mass appeal than pixel art. Just the way it goes (broadly speaking). It's definitely easier to make something like, say, Skullgirls in 2D (crazy animation, lots of warping monster parts etc.). But for a game like Street Fighter? Where most of the characters are human and you want to sell a bunch of costumes as DLC? 3D is a no brainer; it would take forever to animate different costumes in 2D. On the whole though, across all genres, 3D is more expensive because it requires more people across more disciplines.

R.I.P. Metal Slug

There was no chance of Sega making a new mainline Shenmue game itself unless Shenmue 3 sold gangbusters, ie, at the very least 1.5 million. I really doubt it did that well.

Crowd funding is a non starter. A lot of backers (fans and those who just wanted to support a niche but beloved game) backed the game thinking Shenmue 3 would somehow end the story, yet instead it barely had any story at all. Kickstarter, indiegogo, gofundme, Fig, campaigns would fail in todays climate due in part to this.

Not to mention many things promised in the initial crowd funding strech goals did not come to pass, despite them being reached, and that may have soured any potential backers for Shenmue 4.

The best bet is to hope Yu Suzuki secures funds from Deep Silver, Shibuya Productions or Epic(lol) to make a sequel.

Back