Your Opinion About Music Integration

Oh man, found another case of old minigame music being used for a store, Roll it on Top this time.

I also cannot get over what an annoying and short piece of music they used for main area of Niaowu. It is literaly just a 23 second loop and repeats its notes in less than half of that. This wouldn't exactly be great in just about any game but for a Shenmue this is really lightyears below the standards.
You mean the "new version" of Worker's Pier Daytime?

The melody is actually more similar to the Willy Wonka Verdant Bridge.
What is in fact a bit odd is that despite having access to Sega's archive with hundreds, maybe thousands of unused tracks from S1, S2 and S Online, they re-used so many old tracks which were tied to specific places or events in S1 or 2 in the fans 'minds. Now I don't mean the Shenmue Theme, Shenhua Theme, Shenhua' s Song (the one playing during S1's prologue) or Waves of Morning Haze. Those are epic songs for cutscenes or certain moments which make sense to be re-used from time to time but I mean the countless other small songs they re-used. Why?

Still, I don't really mind and considering that
S3 has little to no (meaningful) story and character development at all
, this is really a very small issue to me.

I have to say, I thought there would be more original songs. My favorite song in the game isn't even story related.
It's the night theme for that place with the in-game backer rewards in. Super good.

I always thought it was a bad idea to hire one guy to do the whole soundtrack. After all Shenmue 1 and 2 had a whole TEAM of composers. Theres only so much memorable music a single person can compose for one game.

This still remains my biggest personal disappointment (if you prefer, read 'subjective'). I was merely hoping that the songs that would make sense to repeat would repeat, such as the menu screen or Working Man.

That said, I got used to some of the reused tracks. I think they're more versatile than that for which our nostalgia (again, the subjective aspect) gives them credit. For instance, Fortune's Pier day is tolerable as a dojo song.
I suppose my bigger disappointment, as some have noted, is how haphazard some of the choices are, especially repetition of tracks within the game itself. E.g., There's a really nice song where the cows hang out near the Hermit's Nest, and it's used for the night transition in the final area, etc. It feels lazy, not like the FREE variation in Shenmue.

Alas, I will buy lots of black garlic for whomever uploads the new tracks , especially New Paradise day. That's muh jam.

I'm playing the segment where you have to find the six tokens and I'm really digging that track.

On a related note, one thing that I hate is at Shenhua's house when you're going first person to look through drawers the main theme stops abruptly to switch to a very ominous track. It's a stressful vibe when you only want to look at spoons you know.

This still remains my biggest personal disappointment (if you prefer, read 'subjective'). I was merely hoping that the songs that would make sense to repeat would repeat, such as the menu screen or Working Man.

That said, I got used to some of the reused tracks. I think they're more versatile than that for which our nostalgia (again, the subjective aspect) gives them credit. For instance, Fortune's Pier day is tolerable as a dojo song.
I suppose my bigger disappointment, as some have noted, is how haphazard some of the choices are, especially repetition of tracks within the game itself. E.g., There's a really nice song where the cows hang out near the Hermit's Nest, and it's used for the night transition in the final area, etc. It feels lazy, not like the FREE variation in Shenmue.

Alas, I will buy lots of black garlic for whomever uploads the new tracks , especially New Paradise day. That's muh jam.
I still think it's inexcusable they used Fangmei's theme and the darts music in random places.

Still, I don't really mind and considering that
S3 has little to no (meaningful) story and character development at all
, this is really a very small issue to me.

huh. I thought Ryo had a lot of character development; shown particularly with his convos with Shenhua

I always thought it was a bad idea to hire one guy to do the whole soundtrack. After all Shenmue 1 and 2 had a whole TEAM of composers. Theres only so much memorable music a single person can compose for one game.

Not everyone can be Uematsu

I saw that Ryuji Iuchi was barely credited in the game. He was credited for previous help. Did he actually work in the Shenmue III or had previous work used, only? Can somebody please confirm this information?

About the technical details, I can speak a little since I am a game composer. Adaptive music is not a easy trend, it requires lots of experience to fully implement it well. And also, it requires all the music to be arranged in a certain way. In a budget game like this, I find it very unlikely the team would like to spend time on it. Also, the music in previous games were very characteristic, so they simply decided to keep it the way it was, playing safe.

Back