Yu Suzuki to speak at "Reboot Develop Blue 2019"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always assumed that Baisha was gonna be more about the warring kingdoms seige game that Yu talked about than traditional Shenmue walking and talking gameplay. I could be wrong though.

i hope there is some misunderstanding here.
i don't think of Bisha as a small area or a less robust than others.
it's the most important area with many new ideas planned for it with unique structure and important major plot events etc etc... scraping that would hurt the game tremendously.

supposedly they were planning to have minigames/activities in it just like all other areas.

I think it's simply a matter of them not wanting to publicly reveal much about the final part of the game. It's only known to the Shenmue fanatics at this point.

Look at the completion achievements - they're defined by location. If Niaowu/Chobu was the end of the game, that would be the completion state achievement; it wouldn't have a separate one. Same with the herbal medicine and fishing, the achievements are grouped as three all defined by the geographical location of the game.

Yes, Baisha isn't mentioned by name because the developers consider that third achievement a completion state, but it doesn't change the fact these achievements have come in threes and we've known since day one that Shenmue III would take place in three separate locales.

Except that doesn't make sense for every other achievement that isn't "finish the story in this area".

Let's take a look at three such achievements:
fishing_hakkason - presumably awarded for catching X amount of fish in Bailu
fishing_chobu - presumably awarded for catching X amount of fish in Niaowu
fishing_all - presumably awarded for catching X amount of fish in... all three areas?

What happens if you haven't caught X amount of fish in Bailu or Niaowu? Do you still get the third achievement on catching X amount of fish in Baisha?

If so, then why is it labelled "all", when it's specifically only for Baisha and doesn't require either of the other two achievements?
If not, then why is there no achievement for catching X amount of fish in Baisha?

Iit makes no sense to lay it out this way if fishing in Baisha is as equally prominent as fishing in the other two areas.

Except that doesn't make sense for every other achievement that isn't "finish the story in this area".

Let's take a look at three such achievements:
fishing_hakkason - presumably awarded for catching X amount of fish in Bailu
fishing_chobu - presumably awarded for catching X amount of fish in Niaowu
fishing_all - presumably awarded for catching X amount of fish in... all three areas?

What happens if you haven't caught X amount of fish in Bailu or Niaowu? Do you still get the third achievement on catching X amount of fish in Baisha?

If so, then why is it labelled "all", when it's specifically only for Baisha and doesn't require either of the other two achievements?
If not, then why is there no achievement for catching X amount of fish in Baisha?

Iit makes no sense to lay it out this way if fishing in Baisha is as equally prominent as fishing in the other two areas.
Who knows why they defined it like that? Maybe those achievements aren't for Baisha after all.

The important and primary point is really that Niaowu/Chobu isn't the end of the game as proven by separate achievements for full game completion and finishing Niaowu/Chobu, and that people shouldn't be panicking about Baisha.

I always assumed that Baisha was gonna be more about the warring kingdoms seige game that Yu talked about than traditional Shenmue walking and talking gameplay. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, at the very least akin to Yellow Head HQ, but more epic? If not, then a fully playable area. Either way, I'm hyped more than yesterday's forklift and wasn't expecting anything til next month, earliest!

The conspiracy theorist in me still strongly believes that a DC prototype of Shenmue III exists somewhere in Sega's offices.

It's not far fetched to think that Shenmue II was about 90% complete when the first game released in 1999. So it makes me wonder what was done between 1999-2001?

I hope to be surprised again after I beat Shenmue III the same way we all were when we got the Saturn footage after beating II.

I'd assume more like 60-70%. There's too many discrepencies between footage shown back in '98/'99 we now know as Shenmue 2, to how it was finalized. Not just small polygonal inprovements, but the textures and architectural design of areas and buildings were pretty different. Definitely agree there's a bit of Dreamcast Shen3 at Sega. Wholeheartedly agree there might be a DC alpha video ala Disc 4 Shen2, as you mentioned.

The important and primary point is really that Niaowu/Chobu isn't the end of the game as proven by separate achievements for full game completion and finishing Niaowu/Chobu, and that people shouldn't be panicking about Baisha.

Just like how the Shenmue re-release having separate achievements for defeating Chai in the harbour and completing the game proves that there's more gameplay after Chai!

C'mon, that's a weak comparison and you know it. Two of the story completion achievements for Shenmue III are defined by clearing a location, it's not the same.

But yet it's there.

I would be very surprised if Baisha wasn't present in at least a moderately significant capacity, but poor attempts at using the achievements list to defend it is doing no favours to anyone. The fact that it's right there on the Kickstarter page is much more concrete evidence.

But yet it's there.

I would be very surprised if Baisha wasn't present in at least a moderately significant capacity, but poor attempts at using the achievements list to defend it is doing no favours to anyone. The fact that it's right there on the Kickstarter page is much more concrete evidence.
It's because the "Baisha being cut" freaking out started when it wasn't mentioned by name in the achievements, when it's entirely obvious the three major main story achievements are unlocked by clearing areas as defined by the developers.

I know it's silly that people are suddenly panicking that it's been cut given every assertion that it's a part of the game (including visual evidence from the prototype days), but the progression of those main story achievements logically dictate there is a third area of the game anyway.

Simple - you don't get the "all" achievement.

You might argue that "all" could then be applied to just the two named locations... but the word "all" isn't usually used to refer to two things; typically the word "both" would be used.

I tend to think the simplest explanation is the most likely. Here's what we know - there were five stretch goals specifically related to Baisha in the KS campaign. They were lower tier stretch goals than either Niaowu or Bailu. Omitting specific references to third act gameplay makes sense from a spoiler perspective. If the entire third location (which was the subject of five stretch goals that were achieved even before the Slacker Backer campaign) was removed from the game entirely, that would be something that the team would want to get out in front of with a public statement, not spring it on the backers as a nasty surprise on release.

Last edited:
Who knows why they defined it like that? Maybe those achievements aren't for Baisha after all.

Baisha is definitely in IMO. But I'm doubtful it'll be a full fledged area such as Bailu and Chobu. And honestly, by the look of it, it'd look to big to be one.
There's a reason why IMO Yu Suzuki only took Bailu + Choubu combined to compared it with the map size of the previous games. Because Baisha isn't the same kind of map. If it end up being a fully featured part of the game, great, but I think people should set their expectations back. If anything, there's also no saying that even at a huge budget, Baisha was going to be a thing in Shemue 3 to begin with. We just have to go with what Yu Suzuki planned for the game.

It's because the "Baisha being cut" freaking out started when it wasn't mentioned by name in the achievements, when it's entirely obvious the three major main story achievements are unlocked by clearing areas as defined by the developers.

I know it's silly that people are suddenly panicking that it's been cut given every assertion that it's a part of the game (including visual evidence from the prototype days), but the progression of those main story achievements logically dictate there is a third area of the game anyway.

I think people are just getting the wrong idea since the begining. What if Baisha was never cut but Baisha was never meant to be a place like Choubu and Bailu ? Since the begining, Baisha was always talked about a place where a different gameplay system would take place.

Baisha is definitely in IMO. But I'm doubtful it'll be a full fledged area such as Bailu and Chobu. And honestly, by the look of it, it'd look to big to be one.
There's a reason why IMO Yu Suzuki only took Bailu + Choubu combined to compared it with the map size of the previous games. Because Baisha isn't the same kind of map. If it end up being a fully featured part of the game, great, but I think people should set their expectations back. If anything, there's also no saying that even at a huge budget, Baisha was going to be a thing in Shemue 3 to begin with. We just have to go with what Yu Suzuki planned for the game.

I think people are just getting the wrong idea since the begining. What if Baisha was never cut but Baisha was never meant to be a place like Choubu and Bailu ? Since the begining, Baisha was always talked about a place where a different gameplay system would take place.
Fundamentally we agree. Honestly I don't care too much about the rest, I just want to stem the headless chicken syndrome some might get over the false impression that Baisha was cut. I don't think the achievements, even without naming Baisha, are directly incompatible to that.

Fundamentally we agree. Honestly I don't care too much about the rest, I just want to stem the headless chicken syndrome some might get over the false impression that Baisha was cut. I don't think the achievements, even without naming Baisha, are directly incompatible to that.

We do. Honestly, even if worst case it was "cut", at least we're still getting Shenmue 3 to some capacity. I still remain on the boat that we weren't promised a full fledged Baisha. If we do, then great, the game just got even better. If we don't, then it's cool, we still get a game as big as Shenmue II. Beggars cant be choosers after all.

I agree though there's some overreaction about Baisha and people should just remain cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back