Yu Suzuki to speak at "Reboot Develop Blue 2019"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, surely we can suspend our disbelief for just a second? Ryo had a SEGA Saturn in the 1980's. He found a duck in a tree which he proceeded to enter into underground duck races. He miraculously survived jumping into a fast flowing river during a storm, saving both Shenhua and a faun without drowning. And let's not even mention Shenmue II's ending.

A popup arcade in an unlikely spot really isn't that immersion breaking all things considered.

I only skimmed the last few pages of the thread, so it may have been mentioned already but I didn't see it.

The arcade shown in today's screenshot appears to be an updated version of the same one we saw a couple years ago in one of the backer updates - the walls of the building are those same rusty metal sheets.

I mean, surely we can suspend our disbelief for just a second? Ryo had a SEGA Saturn in the 1980's. He found a duck in a tree which he proceeded to enter into underground duck races. He miraculously survived jumping into a fast flowing river during a storm, saving both Shenhua and a faun without drowning. And let's not even mention Shenmue II's ending.

A popup arcade in an unlikely spot really isn't that immersion breaking all things considered.

You could also add a pair of macguffins that might unleash an ancient demon, dreams about a girl you’ve never met before, said girl being able to lift dandelions using the force etc.

Shenmue 3 is going to have tons and tons of easter eggs!

Indeed, if there’s any game made for Easter Eggs, it’s Shenmue III... ???

And that's what I'm referring to. Realism is being Gameplay's bitch, instead of the opposite.
Kowloon didn't have an Arcade center, all the arcade machines were in hidden rooms. Despite being practically in HK.

We're talking about a full blown arcade center here... In a mystical, rural village deep in the mountains of 80s Guilin. C'mon, that really doesn't look immersion breaking to you?

Remember, Shenmue occurs in a time where there is a cultural metamorphosis in certain respects...

Hi-Tech Land is the name of a chain of Sega arcades. https://segaretro.org/Hi-Tech_Land_Sega

Wow, great find. True to life once again!

So an arcade in a more populated area which is a boat ride away from the rural Bailu Village are a no, no.

But, floating swords which only allow one person to touch it, self raising plynths powering a mirror to fire a laser beam across to said floating sword, thus causing a reflective effect to set fire to a bunch of torches connected by rope is tickety boo.
Yeah, and what made those fantasy moments special was that it happened in a game that focuses on realism.

Or are you suggesting Shenmue should just shed it's realism layers and go full fantasy? Because if we accept flying swords, we'd accept any realism-breaking aspects? No holds barred?

???
Electric generators are commonly found in rural areas while arcade centers are not?
Bailu has more than a few electrical generators considering there's a whole network of street lights lining the village pathways. There are villages in rural England in 2019 that don't even have that! Like I said earlier, pull on enough of these threads and it falls apart under too much intense scrutiny.

And again, what about the capsule toys? It's great if they don't bother you the same way the arcade does, but in principle they're both "out of place" by your own definitions.

Is it so far fetched accepting head-canon that a villager bought some old games machines as scrap somehow and built a makeshift arcade? I mean it would certainly explain why the paddles on QTE Title look so fucked up.

I don't mean to rake you over the coals, but at some point you've just got to give yourself over to the fact that Shenmue being a 1:1 representation of reality went flying out the window long before this point. Being obstinate on some details but not others... I just don't really see the point. Especially when the embellishments are there for players to have a better time with the game.

Hard to say before I've played the game, but one of the main reasons I loved Shenmue is it's immaculate dedication to realism even at the expense of what people consider "fun", so I'm not thrilled at the prospect of playing these mini-games at the expense of losing some degree of immersion.
And if it really, really bothers you - just try not to engage with the activities you feel aren't immersive. You've still got your pick of more earthy activities from the sounds of it.

Bailu has more than a few electrical generators considering there's a whole network of street lights lining the village pathways. There are villages in rural England in 2019 that don't even have that! Like I said earlier, pull on enough of these threads and it falls apart under too much intense scrutiny.
Oh, you'd be surprised at how powerful those generators can be, especially the 20 kilowatt ones.
I dunno about England, but I live in a 3rd world country and have been to many rural areas, trust me, it's pretty common.

And again, what about the capsule toys? It's great if they don't bother you the same way the arcade does, but in principle they're both "out of place" by your own definitions.
It definitely looked out place, but the arcade center stuck out more.

And if it really, really bothers you - just try not to engage with the activities you feel aren't immersive. You've still got your pick of more earthy activities from the sounds of it.
It's not about choosing to engage or not, it's about atmosphere, immersion, it loses the feeling of being a rural village just by having urban commodities and entertainment centers.

I can't decide which I find more realistic: a stray Tomato Mart in Wan Chai, or Ryo somehow learning Cantonese on the boat ;)

Really, though, I suspect part of it is that:
a. We're all a bit older now, and we can see (through) some of the unrealistic aspects a little more easily
b. We're still nostalgic, so we hold onto the points that particularly draw us in (differing between us)

Gonna be different for different folks. Chai is a great villain and I stand by it, but he also looks like the DBZ version of Gollum. It's cool that Ryo has a Sega Saturn, but they could've given him a Master System.
For some, perhaps keeping the rural specifically rural is important. To each one's own.

They aren't.

His argument was that since Shenmue had fantasy elements, any unrealistic aspects in S3 shouldn't be scrutinized.

It wasn't an argument to begin with. It's very simple fact. An arcade is not unrealistic, appearing in a more populated, progressive environment. It's improbable, at best if someone is seeking to compare the real life area to the in-game area brick by brick, as seen in the first game where Dobuita main Street had it's own interpretation with the design of the shops, distance from Sakuragaoka, and other aspects that were changed all because this is a game.

But unrealistic is a gravity defying piece of metal, or a games console that was released in the 1990s appearing in a home that's set in 1986. It's a simple difference. There's no argument from me at all. I hope you enjoy the game, but if an arcade ruins your immersion of realism, then that's your business. All I can say is I am glad I am not you, don't think the same, and have enjoyed the hell out of the past 3 years watching this game come together from what was presented at E3 in 2015, ignoring the negative comments as best I can, and looking forward more and more to a game that I believe genuinely looks like the Shenmue 3 I have waited for, for almost 20 years.

It wasn't an argument to begin with. It's very simple fact. An arcade is not unrealistic, appearing in a more populated, progressive environment. It's improbable
Aqy2aQ2.png

Oh, and just so we're clear, you realize we're talking about Bailu not Niaowu, right? Where's this "more populated, progressive environment" coming from?

It's a game & aren't we supposed to use it as an escape from reality? An arcade in Shenmue is part of the game, its location isn't an issue.

In a rural setting or not the logic is sound from Yu and I will play the shit out of all those games. We are months away from a game that was a pipe dream.

We are lucky we can debate the small issue of where the arcades are. Enjoy it :)

Aqy2aQ2.png

Oh, and just so we're clear, you realize we're talking about Bailu not Niaowu, right? Where's this "more populated, progressive environment" coming from?

Brother, you’d be surprised. Many of the locales the media and vacation promotions portray in certain stereotypes have more areas in common with the rest of the world than they lead one to believe. Also, hyper-realism isn’t worth worrying about if you want to keep the game fun. If so, we’d have to worry about Ryo taking a dump every few hours lol

Brother, you’d be surprised. Many of the locales the media and vacation promotions portray in certain stereotypes have more areas in common with the rest of the world than they lead one to believe. Also, hyper-realism isn’t worth worrying about if you want to keep the game fun. If so, we’d have to worry about Ryo taking a dump every few hours lol

Presses A to talk to shenhua

What is it Ryo?
"Shenhua... I need to take a shit!"
Ryo, there's a washroom in the hotel over there!
Shenhua points to hotel
"Ah... Good!"
Ryo sprints to hotel
"I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN TACO BELL!!!"
Slams bathroom door
"UURRRRAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH"
opens bathroom door
"Phew... that's better. I WILL have my revenge."

The last time I played Shenmue 2 was 15 years ago my Xbox. I never did play the first one and haven't watched any game play of the games since that time. So during the last week of August I will purchase a 75" Oled, a PS4, Shenmue 1 and 2 HD and of course receive my copy Shenmue 3 and it's going to be one big seamless Shenmue fiesta.
Awesome ???❤

Direct feed images of the UI and more in the latest KS update. Posted a thread since Peter said to make new threads for new news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back