Any word on the when the console patch (XB1 & PS4) is coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very fortunate to have no game killing bugs my play through with Shenmue 1 & 2, digital copies on PS4 pro. The game only locked up one (Playing After Burner in Shenmue II) and no glitched cut-scenes. Despite me having few issues, the fact remains it's really inexcusable the games were delivered in the states they were.

Shenmue 2's music being out of whack was very disappointing, and when you combine sound glitches, button prompts being incorrectly listed, subtitle errors and the lack of scaling the birghtness/contrast accurately for a game far too dark, this is not how Shenmue should have been presented and delivered. Fans new and old have a legitimate reason for being very disappointed.

I was very fortunate to have no game killing bugs my play through with Shenmue 1 & 2, digital copies on PS4 pro. The game only locked up one (Playing After Burner in Shenmue II) and no glitched cut-scenes. Despite me having few issues, the fact remains it's really inexcusable the games were delivered in the states they were.

Shenmue 2's music being out of whack was very disappointing, and when you combine sound glitches, button prompts being incorrectly listed, subtitle errors and the lack of scaling the birghtness/contrast accurately for a game far too dark, this is not how Shenmue should have been presented and delivered. Fans new and old have a legitimate reason for being very disappointed.

You did well there then.

The music in 2 does bug me a lot as it creates atmosphere. But Guilin actually sounds good. I can see why from a marketing standpoint what they were going for. I hope it doesn't affect longer term sales too badly.

I'm hoping someone a bit tech savy does a side by side playthrough of the DC games with these versions to get a real in depth look at them.
TheElecPlay92 did this for Yakuza 2(PS2)/Kiwami 2(PS4) and also the recent Crash reboot PS1/PS4. I hadn't played either but it was still great to see the differences and similarites right next to each other.

You might want to read some of my previous posts before saying I'm defending them to the hilt.

And I also agree that the worst end of these fault might put people off but judging by the comments on reset era there have been many positive experiences. And in my playthrough I only experienced the cutscenes issue once in Shenmue 1. In 2 the game is fine but the music is out.

All I've asked for is an opportunity for them to put it right and they are with the pc and will have to for Japan which I know is months away but I'm hopeful to happen soon. I'll the bugs topic (I'm sure you have) to report issues and report them to Sega. Use social media and let them know you and others are not happy. Plenty have.

I'm drawing a line under this now so not to derail the topic further.
fair enough man. Just want these fixed like the rest of us

Lets put it this way, its been a week of silence about these issues, if we as the community dont collectively make a decision to start demanding this be fixed and put legitimate pressure on Sega and d3t things are going to stay the same. Clearly they have not taken us seriously, and for those saying "You dont know that the patches wont drop tomrrow" or something similar I agree, but I would rather go the route of trying to get Shenmue fixed faster rather than sitting around like good little boys and girls for the our lord and master sega to jump. If we start now there is a much greater chance of action being taken sooner rather than later, if we wait around, who knows? WE HAVE TO DEMAND THIS! I am ready to arm the torches and pitch forks at this point because im not playing Shenmue in the midst of all this drama.

I think its time we lit a fire under Sega and d3t's ass before this gets anymore out of hand. d3t and Sega Europe tweets from today were about Shenmue being Number 2 on the charts, NOT about patches or what they are doing to fix this. They only message they are sending fans is they are reveling in the success and not about actually fixing this embarassment printed on physical console media. I dont like their ignorant attitude, nor should any other fan. Seems like they are kicked back trying to get everything proper for the japanese release on November 22nd, and I wouldnt doubt we see an acceptable version not long before then for the already released versions... unless we do something about it now. Anyone have ideas besides tweeting and emailing that could help them get the message? Lets take matters in to our own hands.

And to our brother sega, you fucked up and you need to be sorted and brought back to reality if you think we are gong to stand for this, because idk about anyone else but i am done with this mess.

Well, it's almost the 3rd, and I'm most certainly not joining in on the "Thank you, Sega!" train if the patch doesn't drop soon. I'm just extremely disappointed right now. I've always been OK with them releasing this as a bare minimum, budget port, but releasing a glitchy mess of a collection is unacceptable.

Well, it's almost the 3rd, and I'm most certainly not joining in on the "Thank you, Sega!" train if the patch doesn't drop soon. I'm just extremely disappointed right now. I've always been OK with them releasing this as a bare minimum, budget port, but releasing a glitchy mess of a collection is unacceptable.
#FixShenmue

But seriously the thing that has me the most sour is that I saw this coming a week before launch when seeing the streamers, and when I posted here and other places online about how I was worried about the launch product I was called a "moaner" and such. A mod here actually argued with me that I was wrong for second guessing Sega about their legendary day one patch. It's really frustrating to have to say "I told you so"... I hate having to say it probably much more than those people hate to hear it...

I'm not gonna call anyone out here, but you know what you did, and the lack of apology is kinda disheartening. I just wish people would put their fanboy blinders down and listen to reason...

I just purchased the steam version this afternoon and downloaded that beta patch, off to play them a second time now with the jap dub.

#FixShenmue

But seriously the thing that has me the most sour is that I saw this coming a week before launch when seeing the streamers, and when I posted here and other places online about how I was worried about the launch product I was called a "moaner" and such. A mod here actually argued with me that I was wrong for second guessing Sega about their legendary day one patch. It's really frustrating to have to say "I told you so"... I hate having to say it probably much more than those people hate to hear it...

I'm not gonna call anyone out here, but you know what you did, and the lack of apology is kinda disheartening. I just wish people would put their fanboy blinders down and listen to reason...
I don't see the benefit in not calling out Sega. I really don't get it. They released an inferior port and are going to run the risk of turning away new fans with this substandard release. I'm on Team Yu, but I'm not on Team Hatchet Job.

I get why some people were worried the pre-release footage would scare off gamers. It's a shame the pre-release footage that was being damage controlled is the same as the final product that's been out for nearly two weeks.

It's a shame the pre-release footage that was being damage controlled is the same as the final product that's been out for nearly two weeks.
That's my second biggest thing that makes me sour about this whole thing lol. It was so damn transparent but apparently only I and a few others saw through it. I even let them know on social media that their damage control is gonna bite them in the ass and do more harm than brutal honesty would, but they didn't listen obviously...

#FixShenmue

Just because you were eventually proven semi-correct (only by timing because the proverbial "day one" patch isn't actually on day 1), doesn't mean you aren't a whiny moaner, haha.

I'd say if not by the 3rd, there should be a separate hashtag for asking nicely to get HD patched, but not before the usual #shenmue or #shenmuesaved. Perhaps a second tweet after for patch requests or the last hashtag in order after the main ones.

Also, as stated in Yakuza thread about 6 running on PS4 vs Pro: could be simple pshchological factors or disk space/HDD performance in addition to a lot of bugs simply not being across each experience. We believe you're cries--though somewhat of an annoying broken record--we don't necessarily need to blindly accept them and riot at Sega if we can't see in our games.

Last edited:
I don't believe in ripping off consumers, xatruio. In this case, very loyal consumers who will buy anything with the Shenmue name. I think it's fair to hold them to account. We paid for these ports and supported this franchise for many years, after all. If the PC patch is as good as people say and they can do the same for the PS4/Xbox, then I'll hopefully be appeased...

Just because you were eventually proven semi-corect (only by timing because the proverbial "day one" patch isn't actually on day 1
They stated the game would be fixed at launch, in which I was 100% correct in being hesitant to believe.

doesn't mean you aren't a whiny moaner, haha.
Once again, valid criticisms being dismissed as "whiny moaning". And once again, I just wish people would put their fanboy blinders down and listen to reason...

Send all of your queries to [email protected] (the USA division) or to another email address found here:
http://www.sega.co.uk/support

It's no use complaining on a fan forum. I've done my bit and sent off an email to them, the rest of the community should do the same. Let them know what issues you are all having that way.

I'm hoping someone a bit tech savy does a side by side playthrough of the DC games with these versions to get a real in depth look at them.
TheElecPlay92 did this for Yakuza 2(PS2)/Kiwami 2(PS4) and also the recent Crash reboot PS1/PS4. I hadn't played either but it was still great to see the differences and similarites right next to each other.

Well, Digital Foundry did one and claimed they are near perfect ports.

I stop playing, i'll wait till monday , i had the cutscenes bug and some others , but i don't want to finish S1 before getting a patch.

I know this is super disheartening and frustrating guys - but I honestly think Sega's going as fast as they can. It's an artificial delay caused by Microsoft and Sony's approval process, hence how the game got an insta-patch on Steam that fixes most of the issues right now, it's because Steam is much faster at this than consoles. It is somewhat soul-destroying to basically see that if they delayed the release by a few weeks, the releases would have been perfect on launch, but I think Sega's moving as fast as Sonic can run on this one, delayed by the platform holders and their submission/approval processes, more than anything.

The unexpected hurricane of sales right out of the gate (that I'm betting you Sega did not see coming whatsoever) and Shenmue's extremely strong chart performance worldwide is probably sending a strong enough signal as it is that they need to act quickly, so if anything's speeding them up or making this an imperative priority at Sega, it's going to be that.

So it's a waiting game, but if the Steam beta patch is any indication, the games will be remedied entirely very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back