Any word on the when the console patch (XB1 & PS4) is coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one do not want to cuss out sega or belittle them, there is a way of going about this that is civil and is perfectly acceptable instead of doing nothing and sit twiddling our thumbs while pages of these forums fill up that ultimately stays among ourselves and doesnt increase the chance of changing the end result. I feel like sega is a lost friend that has made a mistake and needs enlightenment, and I will say this again we dont know what the future holds, we can either live in the moment and try to see if we can make a difference or bet on whats out of our control and leave the future to fate. I dont understand why we should not try if there is even the chance we could make some change for the better of all our experiences, no one wants to play these with out experiences and nostalgia sullied, its our responsibility as veteran fans to the new comers.

Also EA is so much worse than Sega, thats not even a comparison.

It's not that we don't mind it, it's just that some have been fortunate enough to have near-flawless experiences. Many of these bugs aren't universal and are quite random. If I like bloom, how am I supposed to notice the notebook glitch? That's not to say that I don't want these issues fixed, but please don't make it seem like we're settling for a bad experience.
The music in Shenmue II is iffy across all versions and not even on that PC1.02 patch list, any playthrough the said songs are unavoidable, and none of those people mention it...:unsure: I guess these people just don't pay attention to the detail, one of the things we praise Shenmue for?!? (JK)

I'd only say you are settling for a bad experience if you came across issues and willing don't share them with others for awareness be it d3t/SEGA or other potential buyers/players.

Last edited:
I for one do not want to cuss out sega or belittle them, there is a way of going about this that is civil and is perfectly acceptable instead of doing nothing and sit twiddling our thumbs while pages of these forums fill up that ultimately stays among ourselves and doesnt increase the chance of changing the end result. I feel like sega is a lost friend that has made a mistake and needs enlightenment, and I will say this again we dont know what the future holds, we can either live in the moment and try to see if we can make a difference or bet on whats out of our control and leave the future to fate. I dont understand why we should not try if there is even the chance we could make some change for the better of all our experiences, no one wants to play these with out experiences and nostalgia sullied, its our responsibility as veteran fans to the new comers.

Also EA is so much worse than Sega, thats not even a comparison.

Yeah for sure, it's great to try, I'm just suggesting everyone be civil and not go overboard and be abusive. You catch more flies with honey than you do with chopsticks.

The music in Shenmue II is iffy across all versions and not even on that PC1.02 patch list, any playthrough the said songs are unavoidable, and none of those people mention it...:unsure: I guess these people just don't pay attention to the detail, one of the things we praise Shenmue for?!? (JK)

I'd only say you are settling for a bad experience if you came across issues and willing don't share them with others for awareness be it d3t/SEGA or other potential buyers/players.
I have not beat Shenmue 1 yet as you can understand, though I’m close.

Edit: I should have clarified that in my original post. I finds that most bug conversations are about the first game. And don’t worry, I have been reporting the few bugs I have had and have been public about them.

Last edited:
I have not beat Shenmue 1 yet as you can understand, though I’m close.
I thought you was a Shenmue fan.. I've been mislead ;)
Jokes aside, I'd just wait till we get the patches before checking in again on this release.

Edit: Yeah I wasn't calling you out. I meant people who said they done both games, saying no issue.

Last edited:
They stated the game would be fixed at launch, in which I was 100% correct in being hesitant to believe.

Once again, valid criticisms being dismissed as "whiny moaning". And once again, I just wish people would put their fanboy blinders down and listen to reason...

Look at the reverse, perhaps you're too spoiled, whom puts down the blinders too quick; especially for a series like Shenmue--waiting near two decades for anything new whatsoever. Classic, shitty what-have-you-done-for-me-lately attitude.

@mjqjazzbar, we will hold them to account, but patiently and respectfully. Plus, it was $15 per game MSRP let alone whatever deals most people got from buying online. So, please, spare me the entitlement bullshit.

Also, if you think any game will be perfect at launch, especially a port of archaic code (from vastly different architecture) within 4 months, you're kidding yourself. If you think any niche Japanese game could be released at any other time besides the slowest month in the industry, you're foolish. yeah, by necessity, they rushed the release, no shit. Doesn't mean they won't improve the game. Based on Sega's surprise at preorder numbers and litle faith in Shenmue, who knows if a second print is even planned. They knew it'd sell out after seeing the warm reaction to announcement, they made their investment back already I'd assume, so fix it for those who already bought it; don't look too far ahead.

Sega might not have a great post-Dreamcast track record, but they still are relatively responsive and ears open for a giant corporation. They and D3T will release a patch, if it takes awhile so it is one big quality fix rather than multiple small downloads, more power to them.

Last edited:
My first issue with the whole thing is the lack of communication since last week. Even though a new patch is is suppose to come out whenever at this point, I don't blame people's attitudes here. Taking a look at the nature of today's gaming industry, it doesn't surprise me considering all of the broken games that get released at launch along with the fact that many games don't even get fixed at all, including the big budgeted ones. It seems like a natural response for people to shut down and become pessimistic at any signs of trouble at this point because of recent history over the last few years.

I just don't like how the standards are so low these days that people have forced to accept them in general, and this isn't just about Shenmue, it is apart of a bigger problem that will never change it seems. It's one of the reasons why I don't bother with modern games too much (if ever), the fact that one has to put up with the whole, "it's broke, but we'll fix it later," mindset. You paid full price or more (if dlc or whatever else is involved) for a game, and what you get is such and such, I mean I sure as hell would be put off by the idea of buying a game if they are going to release it in such a state where game breaking or annoying bugs will exist.

It not even the fact that this game will get patched when it's ready as I understand that the developers are working hard to get this done, and I hold Sega accountable for this as they were the ones who wanted to push this game out as quickly as possible, but the fact that this even had to happen and cause such disappointment for people who are most effected by the game's bugs. I get that they wanted to get this out before this game gets drowned out by all releases that are coming soon after, but would it have killed them to at least release it after December in that case? At this point I honestly no longer have any problems with delays (not that I really did) seeing how what happens if things are rushed out. That is why with Shenmue 3, if we have to wait to 2020, then so be it. I won't complain a single bit!

I've been out of touch with modern gaming, and now I see how bad it really is up close and why people are so quick to be negative at the first sign of any single problem now. I heard stories, but wow. I mean I got into an short back and forth elsewhere with someone who wanted to compare this game (when it was recently leaked) to some other HD collection that had issues, and I was wondering how are you going to compare it to that and it isn't even out yet? Now I see why people are quick to put a game down and assume the worse which was surprising to me at first after being out of touch for so long.

It may be an old game that was tough to port, but did the game have to be released in such a state where you have problems with serious bugs that hinder the experience? Could they have at least fixed the worst of it at least if they were really hell bent of getting it out as soon as they could? Sigh. I just don't like how we just have to put up with low standards in today's world in general as this is a trend I'm seeing more and more, and I won't stand for that and it's defenders! I honestly have nothing to say to the defenders to be honest as well! They can say what they want! Talking to them is like talking to a wall. A high stress activity really.

I wrote that because I think people need to understand where they are coming from and not be so hard on the pessimists. I think with Shenmue, the standards would actually be higher, and the worst part about this is how embarrassing this is. Overall, I'm just glad that the overall reception of the game so far has been mostly positive, for now, considering all of these things. It's a miracle really.

Last edited:
Look at the reverse, perhaps you're too spoiled, whom puts down the blinders too quick; especially for a series like Shenmue--waiting near two decades for anything new whatsoever. Classic, shitty what-have-you-done-for-me-lately attitude.

@mjqjazzbar, we will hold them to account, but patiently and respectfully. Plus, it was $15 per game MSRP let alone whatever deals most people got from buying online. So, please, spare me the entitlement bullshit.[\QUOTE]

I've seen some misguided posts but I think this takes the cake. Chastising a paying consumer on ports that are broken on multiple levels, lack of transparency and communication from the developers and hurting the general brand in preparation for a third game in the series. Could you set the bar and expectations any lower?

I hope fans keep holding the developers hands to the fire until they fix these ports. The glaring mistakes in the music composition in Shenmue 2 was beyond belief, forgetting about first time players having the narrative destroyed due to cut scene bugs.

You may not want to hold them accountable and make every excuse under the sun, thankfully you don't speak for all of us.[/QUOTE]

Another thing that hasnt really been touched on is the fact that alot of us vets have been talking this up to our friends for a while now, and when they put out essentially a beta version that doesnt even seem like it has gone through qa and our friends play it and come back to us the people who recommended it with issues, thats extremely frustrating. This is also a problem for Sega because it will ultimately lead to less sales and bad word of mouth.

They should have not bit off more than they could chew. They should have gotten this running perfect on 1 platform likely PS4 released it and then ported it over to other platforms later. It makes it so much more difficult to patch when its already out to the public and people are experiencing different issues, especially on PC when there is hardware and operating system variances in infinite combinations.

I've seen some misguided posts but I think this takes the cake. Chastising a paying consumer on ports that are broken on multiple levels, lack of transparency and communication from the developers and hurting the general brand in preparation for a third game in the series. Could you set the bar and expectations any lower?

I hope fans keep holding the developers hands to the fire until they fix these ports. The glaring mistakes in the music composition in Shenmue 2 was beyond belief, forgetting about first time players having the narrative destroyed due to cut scene bugs.

You may not want to hold them accountable and make every excuse under the sun, thankfully you don't speak for all of us.

...and thankfully the pissing and moaning doesn't speak for the patient and, dare i say, real fans. you don't love and play a series for almost two decades to not let a well-reviewed, sold-out contemporary port some room for improvement. Rushed, sure, but a wise strategic release to maximize profit for a company completely gun shy and snake bit like Sega; get over it. They might be a cool company, but corporations are still a business.

Your hyperbolic hypotheticals aren't going to affect sales. Their money has been made. Shenmue 3 also will still do fine. Perfect world? these would've been 100% ready by late August for the slow-season target to get the most attention. Worse would've been a flawless port up against AAA holiday competition. How's that for hyperbole? Really, neither of these arguments are correct, mine happens to be more realistic and positive rather than SKY IS FALLING and out of touch. Reality of situation: they're out. They got good reviews from media. Good reviews even from harsh forums.

Most casual gamers either didn't notice or ever have these bugs (dead horse alert: they're not uniform) nor do they think a game releasing with a need for patching is unusual or unacceptable. These never should've or would've seen light of day without said patience. Good night.

Last edited:
Wow that's a tonne of comments overnight.

Firstly a user served a ban for calling the developers lazy and it's in the ToS that this is unacceptable. Voicing criticism is fine but doing so constructively. Looking at the above that's on the whole what's been happening. We're are all guilty of being passionate fans and sometimes that can overspill (I've done it).

I've said it before so I'll say it again whatever beef you have with the games report the bugs and in those reports voice your displeasure. Please be respectful, while the state of the games is frustrating and has ruined some players experiences based on the feedback on here, we have no idea of the brief D3T were given for these games. I was lucky that on the whole the games were fine (music aside in Shenmue 2) and didn't ruin my experience.

It is clear they are fixing these games (pc at least) and why they wanted to get it out, which from first week sales is marginally justified. We all want an eta on the rest & I remain hopeful (personal opinion) that we will get one by the 3rd.

Last edited:
...and thankfully the pissing and moaning doesn't speak for the patient and, dare i say, real fans. you don't love and play a series for almost two decades to not let a well-reviewed, sold-out contemporary port some room for improvement. Rushed, sure, but a wise strategic release to maximize profit for a company completely gun shy and snake bit like Sega; get over it. They might be a cool company, but corporations are still a business.

Your hyperbolic hypotheticals aren't going to affect sales. Their money has been made. Shenmue 3 also will still do fine. Perfect world? these would've been 100% ready by late August for the slow-season target to get the most attention. Worse would've been a flawless port up against AAA holiday competition. How's that for hyperbole? Really, neither of these arguments are correct, mine happens to be more realistic and positive rather than SKY IS FALLING and out of touch. Reality of situation: they're out. They got good reviews from media. Good reviews even from harsh forums.

Most casual gamers either didn't notice or ever have these bugs (dead horse alert: they're not uniform) nor do they think a game releasing with a need for patching is unusual or unacceptable. These never should've or would've seen light of day without said patience. Good night.

You couldn't have made a more ignorant and misguided post. This is fantacisim in action folks. If you are a 'real fan', then I definitely don't want to be associated with you. If a real fan can't understand all the legitimate issues associated with these ports, then there's no discussion to be had.

I like how the excuse was made that these ports were rushed when frankly they've been rumoured to be in the works for a long time, yet the excuse for the shoddy state they are in is development budget and restrictive development time.

I've seen dozens of newcomers put off by the bugs, crashes and issues they've faced in their play time. Will it turn them off to Shenmue 3 and beyond? Only time will tell but there's times when their is no defending the inexsuibale and this is one of those situations.

@xatruio and @code I name

Please keep it civil. It is verging on personal now, especially the previous comment from xatruio.

I will also comment that they were rumoured to be in development. We don't know if they were. In fact we don't know when any development started. We'd like to know but I can't see that ever being the case.

@xatruio and @code I name

Please keep it civil. It is verging on personal now, especially the previous comment from xatruio.

I will also comment that they were rumoured to be in development. We don't know if they were. In fact we don't know when any development started. We'd like to know but I can't see that ever being the case.

Yes that's true. I mean obviously it has been cooking before the anncouncement but still you would think with some foresight and planning if they wanted to release it during this window, they would have provided the team sufficient development time to ensure they release a satisfactory product. How long that was as you said may continue to be a subject of conjecture.

Most of the time for year(s) of rumours were only barely getting the many small moving parts of the "rubberband ball" engine of Shenmue even running whatsoever. Real work most likely was done from slightly prior to announcement onward. Hey, but i'm ignorant and misguided, though, don't associate with me, stay away, shame on me! You're so right, Sega sucks, I give up.

too personal?

...and thankfully the pissing and moaning doesn't speak for the patient and, dare i say, real fans. you don't love and play a series for almost two decades to not let a well-reviewed, sold-out contemporary port some room for improvement.

Room for improvement is certainly something that this port has in abundance. Noah’s Ark didn’t have this much room.

You sir, have secured my vote for most ridiculous post on the forum. Good work! Perhaps the mods/admin will give you a ‘real fan’ tag as a reward ?

I don’t know anything about developing, but when I see fans than are able to develop HD textures, fix the aspect ratio in less than a couple of weeks, for free, and compare them to a professional studio that is supposed to be payed which screws up an easy task like uploading an mp3 or aiff audio straight from an already existing game is a bit frustrating, and I can understand the feelings of those who talk about “laziness”.
That said, we have to be civil and personal attacks must not be allowed.
I think that considering the number of sales, Sega and D3T attitude ‘til now and the persistence of fans we can expect patches to be released in a reasonable short time, but I think we need to be very vocal about it and let them know what is wrong.

This is the most broken game I’ve ever paid money for. I’ve never played a retail release with multiple unviewable cutscenes. To make matters worse, it’s my favorite series of all time. I’m crushed right now.

P
This is the most broken game I’ve ever paid money for. I’ve never played a retail release with multiple unviewable cutscenes. To make matters worse, it’s my favorite series of all time. I’m crushed right now.
Please report it all to Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back