Any word on the when the console patch (XB1 & PS4) is coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vehemently disagree with the statement “If it didn't live up to your expectations, then that's your issue”. No, it's the issue of every Shemue fan who wished to see the games treated respectfully and to their potential. Yes they received a day one patch, that is a fact, but it was a woefully under-baked one for two objectively bad ports. I've experienced things during my play-through of S1 on PS4 that I have never dealt with in 13 completed save files on my DC and S1 sounds like the best of the two parity wise!
A resolution bump, the ability to save anywhere, use the analogue stick and trophy support does not make up for it and nor should it have to. I take no pleasure in saying that but it's the truth based on my experience so far and by the sounds of it, many others.
Exactly this. Sorry Peter, but it's not my issue that the day one/pre-release patch didn't live up to my expectations. It's your issue that it did. You must have awfully low standards if you're satisfied with a patch that brought the game from God-only-knows what state to the broken mess we have right now.

Even John Linneman from Digital Foundry has gone on record as stating that Sega gave him a list of things not to mention in his analysis of the collection and that there would be a day-one patch addressing these issues. So Sega basically lied to reviewers and other YouTubers/journalists so that they would only sing the port's praises and ignore its abundance of shortcomings.

As a Shenmue fan, I want what's best for the series. I can't believe how many fans are happy with the way this situation has turned out and go out of their way to defend it. After all these years of nothing, we deserved better than this. Sega should be treating Shenmue with the respect that it deserves and not shortchanging both longtime fans and newcomers alike.

I think the problem is that different people are having different experiences with the bugs. I'm about halfway through Shenmue 1 and have only experienced maybe two or three minor bugs that were in no way gamebreaking or took away from my experience. So from my point of view, things are not as grave as I've been reading. However, if I had issues like some people who have posted, I'd probably be more upset. So I can see both sides.
To be clear, it is disappointing that there are ANY bugs and I'm not giving them a pass.
I myself didn't experience any gamebreaking bugs throughout my playthrough of Shenmue I. However, it still has many audio/music issues that definitely did take away from my experience (PS4 version). Obviously whether or not these things bother you depends on the person but it can't be denied that they are there. It's not random. It's currently like that 100% of the time. Was it really too much to ask that these games play and sound exactly like the original versions, just running at a higher resolution?

Last edited:
I don’t really understand how anyone can defend Sega at this point.

You can’t promise a patch for late next week and when late next week comes delay it again, it’s horrible communication!

And why can’t they just release the one out for PC? The console versions still have some pretty annoying bugs.

Simply put, it comes down to patience. I'm fine with not having a Wait option in my life's Action Selector.

I'm willing to wait, hell I was willing to wait till next year if they released these in a comparable standard to the DC titles. I'm suprised they didn't contact/contract/NDA a few forum members before release to help with the port and QA it or just some advice.

I'm still waiting on posting anymore bugs till the patches come through, since while i find the situation sketchy I atleast wanna try/hope shenmue hd can become a quality release down the road. I did cancel my JP order since I wanna see what actually gets fixed on the western one and I'm also worried support could get dropped if they haven't fixed things by the JP launch. I think that would go to print about a month/2weeks before its late november launch?

You can’t promise a patch for late next week and when late next week comes delay it again, it’s horrible communication!

No, it's good communication -- they're being honest that it's not ready and need to delay it in order to get it right. They had every intention of releasing the patch this week or they wouldn't have tweeted about it, and they did the right thing by delaying it if it wasn't 100% ready.

Simply put, it comes down to patience. I'm fine with not having a Wait option in my life's Action Selector.
That's just the thing. I don't understand why Sega felt they needed to rush this out the door. If they didn't want to compete with RDR2, Spiderman, etc., they could have just slated the release for January or February. That way, it still would have been released months before Shenmue 3. I'm sure that those of us who have waited a decade and a half or longer for anything Shenmue-related to be released wouldn't have cared one bit.

Think about it. We're Shenmue fans. We practically have to have developed patience by now. I just wish they hadn't released an unfinished product in August with no guarantee that it will ever be perfect. I'd easily be willing to wait longer for it to be released in the first place if it meant that it got the treatment it deserved and did justice to Yu Suzuki and his team's original work.

A delay for the patch, sigh. Well hopefully they'll include some patches for Shenmue II like the friggin' darts and maybe fix some of the busted music while they're at it.

Exactly this. Sorry Peter, but it's not my issue that the day one/pre-release patch didn't live up to my expectations. It's your issue that it did. You must have awfully low standards if you're satisfied with a patch that brought the game from God-only-knows what state to the broken mess we have right now.

Even John Linneman from Digital Foundry has gone on record as stating that Sega gave him a list of things not to mention in his analysis of the collection and that there would be a day-one patch addressing these issues. So Sega basically lied to reviewers and other YouTubers/journalists so that they would only sing the port's praises and ignore its abundance of shortcomings.

As a Shenmue fan, I want what's best for the series. I can't believe how many fans are happy with the way this situation has turned out and go out of their way to defend it. After all these years of nothing, we deserved better than this. Sega should be treating Shenmue with the respect that it deserves and not shortchanging both longtime fans and newcomers alike.

I myself didn't experience any gamebreaking bugs throughout my playthrough of Shenmue I. However, it still has many audio/music issues that definitely did take away from my experience (PS4 version). Obviously whether or not these things bother you depends on the person but it can't be denied that they are there. It's not random. It's currently like that 100% of the time. Was it really too much to ask that these games play and sound exactly like the original versions, just running at a higher resolution?

You make good points, with a minimum of melodrama, but I think my previous replies #113 & #116 apply here (plus I think I should get bonus points for calling it with the Digital Foundry guy. ;) )

I'm not excusing the bugs, but if there are alternate universes, I assure you there is one in which Sega decided to delay the game for patching, and ended up cancelling the whole thing by the end of the first quarter of 2019, because reasons. :p

What I'm saying is, again, "Again, we've been waiting 18 years and we're lucky to be here. You can't patch wishes, so let's remember to thank our fucking lucky stars for a bit, that we have the re-release at all, before we burn down the house, ok?"

I salute your enthusiasm though, as I share it, and I respect your love of Shenmue. I can't put into words what Shenmue has always meant to me....words fail me, and my cornier self, the voice in the back of my head, can only put it as "It's in my heart".

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Ok... I see that the delay of the patch started a fire in here.

While obvious that the Shenmue HD Collection is not as polished as we were hoping I'm going to remain optimistic here. We have Shenmue in HD on modern consoles. All I wanted from the port was for both games to be in a collection in HD with trophy support and we got all that and more. I for one am still excited to be playing Shenmue on my PS4. I was waiting for the patch to drop this week to continue but given the delay, I'll be jumping into Shenmue 2 on my next day off with or without the patch.

Stay positive people. The glitches can be annoying but they are far from game breaking.

Last edited:
I also thought that Tuesday was likely but didn't expect the extra delay. Too bad, I was waiting to start Shenmue II until that patch arrived. A bigger disadvantage though is that newcomers playing on console have to wait longer to experience the series without more serious issues.

Honestly, when I said Tuesday, I feared worse....but didn't want to be the pessimist. Star Wars Battlefront 2 had a promised "hotfix" pushed back for like a month or two....and then never came out. They ended up rolling it all into their next scheduled patch. People on their forum......pissed is not the word....

I think everything is going to be fine though, having lived through BF2, I have no doubt there is a light at the end of Shenmue's (much shorter, comparatively) tunnel.

You make good points, with a minimum of melodrama, but I think my previous replies #113 & #116 apply here (plus I think I should get bonus points for calling it with the Digital Foundry guy. ;) )

I'm not excusing the bugs, but if there are alternate universes, I assure you there is one in which Sega decided to delay the game for patching, and ended up cancelling the whole thing by the end of the first quarter of 2019, because reasons.

What I'm saying is, again, "Again, we've been waiting 18 years and we're lucky to be here. You can't patch wishes, so let's remember to thank our fucking lucky stars for a bit, that we have the re-release at all, before we burn down the house, ok?"

I salute your enthusiasm though, as I share it, and I respect your love of Shenmue. I can't put into words what Shenmue has always meant to me....words fail me, and my cornier self, the voice in the back of my head, can only put it as "It's in my heart".
Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you saying that Sega did us a favor by releasing this game. I just can't even begin to wrap my head around that mindset. You even said it yourself immediately afterwards: they're a corporation and all they care about is making money. So, how exactly did they do anyone a favor? They only released it because they thought they could make money off of it, not to be good guys.

Mind you, I'm not complaining about this. It's the same with any company that makes consumer goods. What I am complaining about is them releasing it completely as a cash grab without any regard for the quality of the final product.

And why exactly should I be thanking my lucky stars for even having re-releases if they are inferior to the original games that I already owned? Sure, it's nice that they are more widely available to newer audiences but that's still not a good thing if they are going to misrepresent the quality of the original games. As for me, unless they can come much closer to matching the original experience, I have no reason to be thankful at all for their existence. They are no good to me if the definitive versions are still my old discs that I've owned for years and years.

No disrespect, but I simply cannot see things your way at all. And yeah, you were right about the Digital Foundry thing, but do you really think that's a good thing? That Sega knew how messed up these ports were and literally lied to a journalist that people trust for in-depth technical analyses so that he would make them sound better than they really were?

That's just the thing. I don't understand why Sega felt they needed to rush this out the door. If they didn't want to compete with RDR2, Spiderman, etc., they could have just slated the release for January or February. That way, it still would have been released months before Shenmue 3. I'm sure that those of us who have waited a decade and a half or longer for anything Shenmue-related to be released wouldn't have cared one bit.

Why wait till after Holiday sales? Besides, January and February aren't guarenteed slow game months like August, and it only costs more money to prolong development longer than needed. Obviously, it needed more time, but perhaps not so much to miss Holiday sales, plus August slow competition sales; all the while inflating the budget.

Why wait till after Holiday sales? Besides, January and February aren't guarenteed slow game months like August, and it only costs more money to prolong development longer than needed. Obviously, it needed more time, but perhaps not so much to miss Holiday sales, plus August slow competition sales; all the while inflating the budget.
My point is that they should have given it sufficient development time and not been so concerned about releasing it by a certain deadline.

It's pathetic. They've had forever to port these games and when they finally do they rush the process and screw them up. Even if they never had any intention of doing it in the past, they must have at least been considering it ever since Shenmue 3 broke Kickstarter records. That's three years ago now and they still decided to wait so long to start that there wasn't enough time to even make them accurate to the original games.

EDIT: I also want to add that the whole situation flies in the face of what Sega themselves said two years ago.
Polygon News Story from May 2016 said:
"Of course we would love to release these tomorrow," said Sega community manager Dan Sheridan in a video posted to YouTube. "Sadly, it's not as simple as porting the games to the current platforms, as we would need to ensure that any HD remaster lived up to the quality of the original titles. And with games as immersive as Shenmue 1 and 2 there are further complications from licensed products that were included in the original games. That said, we'd love to do it and are currently investigating how to make it a reality."
Yeah, how'd that work out for you Dan?

Last edited:
Absolute shit show at this point! I haven't touched the games in over a week or so now as I don't want to play them in their current state. So there's me thinking I could dive back in over the weekend.. Nope!

Lol what a farce this has become. By the time the patch lands on consoles, it will be nearly a month since the games launched. Just think about that.. A whole month of these games being broken. And don't give me this, oh these bugs are random and not everyone encounters them. They are immersion breaking glitches, in a series that is held in high regard for its immersive quality. fact is, nobody should be encountering this bugs - end of.

And from what I've heard, they can't even fix the crushed blacks in the pc version, even though they stated in the patch notes that this had been corrected.. Except, ya know, it hasn't. So here we are, handing over money to sega to become their much needed QA on this balls up. I give up with anyone defending this shit show anymore

Last edited:
I stopped reading after that to be brutally honest.
So you didn’t like how it started and chose to ignore the rest, fair enough. You probably should have finished reading that sentence you conveniently cut short though because (spoiler) that’s where the context was.

Sadly, based on what I’ve read from your posts since the release, I’m not in the least bit surprised by your response. It’s obstinacy at this point. To be brutally honest...

The fact is, the games as they are on the current disc will never be right. No they’re not unplayable or disastrous ports beyond salvage but is that really the standard Shenmue fans should be holding Sega and d3t to for these games. If it is, you’re acceptance / tolerance of broken games on release is most certainly your issue.

For what it's worth, i'm ok with patch delay if it means more comprehensive fixes.

Well some people are acting like the world has ended.

Someone mentioned the issue around communication: At least we know there's a delay (hopefully no more delays but that's up to SEGA) imagine the outcry if they said nothing and we got to the end of today and no patch dropped. I'm glad they said something but it is the least they could do.

The bugs I've experienced I did not find game-breaking and generally did not ruin my experience. Shenmue 2's music is well off but I put that in the back of my mind. I fully intend on replaying once fixed. Some however have found bugs that have ruined their experience and that is their opinion, mine doesn't apply to all and nor does anyone else's. Some may agree some may not.

Should they have been released like this and are there ethical issues around the practice here? Yes, it is common gaming practice to patch games now and I wish it wasn't. But beyond e-mailing the companies directly there isn't much we can do.

I stand by one of my earlier posts. I am glad they are fixing it and if there is a delay fine, they need to get it right. I fully appreciate the goodwill of some is falling away & understandably so. There is the JP release not that far off and they will be working to fix these for that.

Also on the whole reviews have been positive from new and old players alike. 1st week sales were good by what the charts tell us, though we have no solid numbers yet. Will the issues scare off new players between now and the patch we won't know for sometime but it is a concern but one I don't think has actually been founded in substantial evidence yet. If it is then I will gladly be proved wrong. Shenmue was always going to appeal to a niche market within gaming and thus sales drop off. With hopefully new news on Shenmue 3 coming between now and release we might see little spikes in HD sales on top of the JP release which was the no1 pre-order on amazon JP early on.

Sega unfortunately did not anticipate (all my opinion) the demand and early success of these games and when they saw the pre-orders and Shenmue 3 announcement pushed it out in a window without major releases. They now need to stick to their word (someone quoted earlier) and deliver what we all want.

We all want what's best for the series, I appreciate the issues around us being free QA but I'd rather do it and give the public a fixed full experience than one that isn't and help secure the longevity of the series. Yes a buggy release doesn't help this but a fixed one certainly can.

Excuse the Friday morning essay!

One thing I don't like about gaming in this day and age is the fact that the game on the physical disc will forever be buggy. I mean, 30 years from now, if I want to play this game and Sony's PS4 servers are all gone with no way to download patches, I'm stuck with the version on the disc. You never had that issue back in the Dreamcast days. That version remains optimal whether it's today, 19 years ago, or 100 years in the future.

*cough* Metropolis Street Racer *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back