Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

correct me if I am wrong, but I swear it has been confirmed that 15(?) scroll moves from Shenmue 1 and 2 will be available in the third instalment. Does anyone know how many scroll moves were throw moves in the first two games?

correct me if I am wrong, but I swear it has been confirmed that 15(?) scroll moves from Shenmue 1 and 2 will be available in the third instalment. Does anyone know how many scroll moves were throw moves in the first two games?
I read somewhere all the movescrolls from shenmue 1 and 2 will be in Shenmue 3.
Seems like now, throw moves are not part of that equation tho.

We don't really know what it all means yet. It could just be the free/dynamic grappling is gone for all we know now.

Will we be able to translate the hidden scroll in SIII ?
Also, seems that SIII is trying a more gamey approach, not sure if I like it, but maybe it's YS way of trying to make the franchise work ?
Anyway, really tempted to try harderst difficulty on first try.

IGN Japan

Suzuki is trying to create a battle system that can satisfy various types of players.
This is also evident from the fact that you can select the level of difficulty for the first time in the "Shenmu" series. When starting a new game, the player can choose from four modes. There is a mode for people who want to enjoy the story, and there is also a mode called "Stop it!" Which is not recommended for core fans at first.

giphy.gif

I have been busy today, but I just got time to browse the newly updated forums. It's a great improvement over the last few days, that is for certain.

On to the impressions---I must say that the VG247 article is one of the fairest impressions I've yet read regarding the snippet that they saw.

We don't know what the final product will be like, but we also don't know how current the build that Yu showed them was. If, as Spaghetti(?) pointed out, metadata pinned the trailer as mid-January, so it may have been an earlier build. I don't care about Ryo walking the same as he did in the originals--if that is improved upon, great. If not, I'm fine with it. It adds to the nostalgic charm. Reviewers/Previewers who understand the concept of what this game is, who this game is for, is who will give it the fairest reviews when it releases.

Hell, I'd settle for two scores--if VG247 said 6/10 for newcomers, but 8.5/10 for any Shenmue fan who has been patiently waiting all this time, it is everything you hoped for in a third entry, I'm good. We're not talking GOTY material here; we're not talking Shenmue IV here. This may be the only dream we have come true, so it's best to take the good with the bad.

I don't mind the non-interactive NPCs--that's not really a deal breaker for me. The sheer fact that there are over 500 is impressive enough as it is, given the budget. I also don't know that I'm really that concerned if throws are not implemented, because I can't recall using them very often in the original games, except for maybe the one where Ryo slams his elbow into a guy's back.

As for the game bearing a stark similarity to the original games, jankiness and all--great! I'm glad that article pointed that out in a fair light. We're very, VERY lucky that this game is happening at all. Very few games, however influential and cult classic they may be, get a chance at a revival like this, much less 15 years later. For those of you who just hoped for a predominantly vintage Shenmue experience with some tweaks(i.e. plays like it was on Dreamcast or whatever), it sounds like you'll get exactly what you wished for.

If the names of people appear at the bottom of the screen, and only show up when you're right next to the person, then I can live with that. But I do hope their real name is obscured until you discover it for yourself. Maybe they only appear once you know the person, or a more generic description is used?

Someone mentioned it previously but it'd be interesting if it was tied to the difficulty.

Would have to see how it works in practise because there's a lot we don't know.

As for throws...I could never do them properly anyway :eek:

We don't know what the final product will be like, but we also don't know how current the build that Yu showed them was. If, as Spaghetti(?) pointed out, metadata pinned the trailer as mid-January, so it may have been an earlier build.
There's no metadata available for the trailer unfortunately, as I don't have the source file and sometimes video doesn't actually carry that data anyway (plus would only show when the final render was made).

What we do know is the Ryo and Shenhua screen Cedric showed us was generated on the 25th of January. I'm assuming the trailer source footage was captured around or even before that point, as they didn't knock the trailer up overnight. In any case it would have to be an "old" build to allow the time for editing, but not in a hugely drastic way.

Shadow blade/step,Swallow Flip,Machine-gun fist,Demon drop,Dark side Hazuki, Wild throw & Arm-break Fire were classic faves of mine.

I'll be sad if they're gone. Was looking forward to a modern realistic representation too. Since Yu wanted to potray "Realistic fighting" as part of the ambition in S3 and throws are bread and butter of Jui Jutsu as well...Ryo losing "heritage art" from his father would be a dis-service to the character/world building staple imho.:crying::(:cautious:

No throws is a huge bummer :/
Not being able to all NPCs also is a bit sad. It helped making the whole game more cohesive. I liked in Shenmue I when even regular NPCs could have their personality, even if they had nothing special to say.

Cool Thing that the media rections are more postive than negative. I really liked the stuff I could read. It sounds very promising indeed.

But we should wait for a final confirmation about the Throw issue. No throws is a bit vague and can mean anything. I could imagine that the throws are still encorparated in some moves.

But even if the throws are missing I am fine with it as long as it fits into the lore of the game. Maybe Ryo learns that throws are the wrong answer to Counter the techiques of Lan Di and so he decided to focus more non other techniques.

Would be a cool twist in my opinion. But lets wait and see what the english IGN interview will say.

Are we still working with google translate instead of human translations? I'd await a real translation and more information.

I just hope Shenmue 3 is a great game regardless and by the point we play it and complete it, we as fans find we really enjoy it and forget about the majority of the concerns we had.

Just like stuff was either dialed down, removed or changed in Shenmue 2 and I didn't really notice until after I completed it, I imagine the same will happen with Shenmue 3 to a certain degree.

Cool Thing that the media rections are more postive than negative. I really liked the stuff I could read. It sounds very promising indeed.

But we should wait for a final confirmation about the Throw issue. No throws is a bit vague and can mean anything. I could imagine that the throws are still encorparated in some moves.

But even if the throws are missing I am fine with it as long as it fits into the lore of the game. Maybe Ryo learns that throws are the wrong answer to Counter the techiques of Lan Di and so he decided to focus more non other techniques.

Would be a cool twist in my opinion. But lets wait and see what the english IGN interview will say.

Chinese martial arts seem to be heavily focused on force while throwing is part of the Judo & Jujitsu DNA so the task of adapting the lore may be easier than it sounds. Where it may be problematic are the scenes when Ryo is sharing his martial art culture with his masters. The confrontation between Japanese and Chinese culture would make less sense if Ryo couldn't arouse the curiosity of the natives with his former throw moves.

The throw embedded in the normal moves sounds a good theory.

Lack of throw attacks would be an antithetical concept for a character raised in jujitsu culture...

The VG247's description of the shop is pretty concerning as well. If stores are only a menu interface to buy items like Yakuza, we would move further away from the original Shenmue.
Yeah I really really hope we have store shelves with physical items. We can't lose the classic picking up by hand and rotation interaction!
Menus of items like in Yakuza would suck.

Yeah
But did you not also feel as if you accomplished something when you finally found him? Name tags will render such accomplishments mute.

Four difficulty settings, on the other hand. That is something I am very intrigued by, as well as being in two minds about.
Yeah. I really want to turn those OFF. Please give us the option. Ryo did not know so I did not know. Asking locals and some of them being clueless or describing the person being looked for (where he / she hangs out or works etc) is essential Shenmue.

Back