Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

It's tough hearing all this. I can't help but want to love everything I'm seeing, but I've got this feeling that the people that are saying "this is on track" and that "this is true Shenmue" have a different expectant mindset to me. Listen I know I'm nitpicking here, but even the choice to change the logo (which is awful, sorry it is) has distanced me from my positive thoughts towards this game which have gradually been depleting the more I see of this. It's like the brand has been lost and now the faces and the modelling and styles are all being meddled with I'm even more detached. I feel bad in my opinion because I shouldn't be complaining at all, hell Shenmue 3 is being made! I just have these high expectations that I feel I have to just drop now. The game is going to look ropey, it's not going to be what I want it to be, I'm just going to have to be thankful that I can continue the story in the best way that Yu could have made it.

Sigh.....but not sigh..........

I think one of the reasons I'm enjoying the process of this game being made, as much as I've been able to observe it, really hinges on the fact that I don't have expectations built up in my mind about it. I don't have a personal checklist or comparison chart to other games or other categories (AAA, AA) of games. I simply want the spirit, the feeling of the saga to continue and to do so in a way that is at the direction of Yu Suzuki and his colleagues. And that's exactly what's happening, and so I feel excited and satisfied. I do have things that I've imagined about what it could be like, but I have no attachment to those ideas and certainly no expectation that the game will be "designed by committee" and have my preferences taken into account. To get a game that is designed by focus tests and designed to be a big hit in the mass market, you are looking at EA's catalog. This is something more special than that, necessarily resulting in something that is more of an acquired taste. And I also have no fear of the series continuing beyond this game - of course I want it to - but I know that the project is being managed in such a way as to give it the best possible chance to meet its own sales goals. Beyond not having an expectation of somehow mentally influencing the design of the game, I don't have some kind of stressed feeling that I need to manage the marketing of the game, either - beyond word of mouth, and knowing that there are trolls out there who are irrelevant.

It's tough hearing all this. I can't help but want to love everything I'm seeing, but I've got this feeling that the people that are saying "this is on track" and that "this is true Shenmue" have a different expectant mindset to me. Listen I know I'm nitpicking here, but even the choice to change the logo (which is awful, sorry it is) has distanced me from my positive thoughts towards this game which have gradually been depleting the more I see of this. It's like the brand has been lost and now the faces and the modelling and styles are all being meddled with I'm even more detached. I feel bad in my opinion because I shouldn't be complaining at all, hell Shenmue 3 is being made! I just have these high expectations that I feel I have to just drop now. The game is going to look ropey, it's not going to be what I want it to be, I'm just going to have to be thankful that I can continue the story in the best way that Yu could have made it.

Sigh.....but not sigh..........

We don't know 1/10 of what Yu san and his team knows about their own game and the various decisions behind it.
So when Yu Suzki tells us he had to make a decision about a particular thing, maybe that's because he really had to.
Imagine he wants to voice every single NPC in the game but he hasn't the money to do it?
What is he gonna do? Stop paying his employees to pay for more voice actors?
Stop paying programmars to pay for better lipsynking motion capture technology?
I know it sucks to see your expectations being blown up, but in the world of what's real, people live in the real.
Real decisions have to be made or forced even tho sometimes they are not for the likings of all.
Perhaps the game will surprise you in ways that you don't even expect who knows.

Last edited:
this is the game Yu Suzuki BELIEVES he can make.

Yes, the same Yu Suzuki that is widely considered one of the greatest video game designers and directors of all time.

The one who made the first two Shenmues we all know & love.

He says this game is true to his vision, and it sounds like those who got to peek behind the curtain are agreeing with his opinion of his game.

Some say Ryo's walking animation is the same from the old games, others say it new and different...
I'd be very happy with Ryo's animation from Shenmue 1 & 2. We can tell by the way he carries himself, like a robot on the way to the toilet, that he has Kung Fu.

Stiff, just-shat-himself walk animation? Great. I would be disappointed if this wasn't included.

No throw moves? I'd be a bit disappointed if that is true, although it's certainly no deal breaker for me.

All of this sounds solid except for throws not being included. I’m hoping that part isn’t true because dang, if throws were in jeopardy, I would have donated more money!
It doesn't seem like money was particularly the issue, but rather they just couldn't get them to work how they wanted. That's not really something they could have discovered until they got into testing. and it sounds like Yu regrets not being able to get done and wishes to revisit if Shenmue IV were to happen.

Interesting details. Why are they not showed this to the public? :-/

i think it said that some of the people who were able to see the 15 minute presentation
were invited by Deep Silver directly. they paid for their trips.
it sounded like Deep Silver want some people to get a first look on the whole thing
to maybe get some feedback and see what the response is.
i guess the game is still in a "wonky state", so they dont want to present whole chunks to everyone yet.

It doesn't seem like money was particularly the issue, but rather they just couldn't get them to work how they wanted. That's not really something they could have discovered until they got into testing. and it sounds like Yu regrets not being able to get done and wishes to revisit if Shenmue IV were to happen.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Probably had the intention of adding throws, but realized it wouldn’t work (this is assuming throws won’t actually be in the game).

Still a bummer if true though. Loved landing throws (especially the complex ones) in Shenmue I + II. Hoping they find a way to incorporate his throw moves without a throw mechanic if that makes any sense. Maybe like how Amaterasu’s Izuna Drop in Okami started from a block.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Probably had the intention of adding throws, but realized it wouldn’t work (this is assuming throws won’t actually be in the game).

Still a bummer if true though. Loved landing throws (especially the complex ones) in Shenmue I + II. Hoping they find a way to incorporate his throw moves without a throw mechanic if that makes any sense. Maybe like how Amaterasu’s Izuna Drop in Okami started from a block.
I mean there are all sorts of theories flying about for what this means for Ryo's original skill set, but at least in producing the effects a throw would have (knocking an enemy over, into other enemies), it seems they've got that covered with other moves that have the kinetic force to do that.

Not being able to talk to EVERY NPC is something I could maybe (reluctantly) deal with, but no throws...? I really hope this is't the case :(
Not sure how I feel about important NPC's names flashing up on screen either. The beautiful thing about Shenmue is how there wasn't all that clutter or 'gamey' stuff flashing on screen, if that makes sense...

Not being able to talk to EVERY NPC is something I could maybe (reluctantly) deal with, but no throws...? I really hope this is't the case :(
Not sure how I feel about important NPC's names flashing up on screen either. The beautiful thing about Shenmue is how there wasn't all that clutter or 'gamey' stuff flashing on screen, if that makes sense...

Completely agreed.

"Most of the players, including the most experimented, are going to lose this free battle. They have to learn that training is necessary to progress"

No cheated free battle against masters any more?
Maybe it's something like he said before, of wanting the fights to have more strategy. (I remember earlier times when he said something about using scrolls in combat or something like that).
Maybe the enemy is just impervious to his current style, so he has to learn new moves that actually make an effect (and so on with different characters).

About throw moves, yeah, they can be a pain to do interactions for, it's a shame, but if everything else is in order.
Maybe some combos will include some finisher similar to throws.

I wholeheartedly agree. It made Shenmue feel incredibly immersive. Although, I must admit, I found it slightly frustrating as a kid. "Try talking to Yamagashi-San." 'Who the fuck is Yamagashi-San?' my 12 year old self thought... So maybe that's Yu's thinking, in an aim to make it more accessible. Hopefully it's something the player can toggle in the options menu though :)

I wholeheartedly agree. It made Shenmue feel incredibly immersive. Although, I must admit, I found it slightly frustrating as a kid. "Try talking to Yamagashi-San." 'Who the fuck is Yamagashi-San?' my 12 year old self thought... So maybe that's Yu's thinking, in an aim to make it more accessible. Hopefully it's something the player can toggle in the options menu though :)
But did you not also feel as if you accomplished something when you finally found him? Name tags will render such accomplishments mute.

Four difficulty settings, on the other hand. That is something I am very intrigued by, as well as being in two minds about.

Yep, there's no real deal breaker so far but the sum of all the sacrificed features coupled with some cutting-edge decisions (360° camera) may really alter the experience. Sure you can recreate the Shenmue "spirit" with a proper vision but you cannot deny that some elements need to be tied with that spirit to let the magic sparkle again.

Having to buy items/sell things one by one and go through the same exact unskippable dialog with the shopowners was really annoying in the original games (same deal when gambling). Having a more "gamey" interface in that regard is welcome, imo.

On the other hand, NPC names flashing above their heads is unnecessary. I wonder if that's a feature that can be turned off. Still hardly a deal breaker.

No throw moves? Strange but whatever. I don't play Shenmue for the combat. Actual throw moves were really difficult to pull off in Shenmue II and often defaulted to those parrying grabs.

My only hope is that Yu is telling the original story and that the story itself holds up. A lot of mysteries about the plot will likely get addressed in Shenmue III and I hope they live up to the suspense that was built up in the first two games (and the 17 years after, oy)

Back