Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Near as I can tell, Steam isn't going to let them generate the keys without opening the game up for pre-orders. This is what happened with Metro: Last Light, where people had already pre-ordered on Steam and thus, since the keys were generated, got to use their keys and play on Steam a year earlier. Noticeably, despite PS4 pre-orders being available for a while, pre-orders on Steam never opened. I am fairly certain this EGS deal is why pre-orders never opened, and why backers aren't getting Steam keys.

In that case they should just offer a refund and move on. If they continue to deny a refund, it will follow the series and more importantly yu suzuki forever. Look at the megman/mighty no 9 guy.

Steam stands for a digtal only future I will never Support until I have too.
The only reason I accept buying games on Steam is because Gabe Newell's promised in past that if Steam goes bankrupt, they will make sure players can still access and play their games (and since that's on record, if he were to lie about such a thing, he'd be in deep shit). I'm paranoid about digital stuff too, man. This is why I'm so insistent on GOG (I have three multi-TB hard drives I back my games up onto) and why I buy my games physically on console, not digitally. So understand that you don't have the context as a console gamer to understand why PC gamers are so pissed. It's okay that you don't understand the context, dude, but just do as Peter did and admit it and don't try to belittle those who DO have context and have presented the reasoning multiple times as to why EGS is such an issue.

In that case they should just offer a refund and move on. If they continue to deny a refund, it will follow the series and more importantly yu suzuki forever. Look at the megman/mighty no 9 guy.
They are already denying refunds.
DS was also part of the MN9 disaster.
It kinda sucks, I just hope the gameplay will blow everyone tfo.

Yes mabye you need to be PC to see the context. For me steam is just THE culprit that started the digital only future and killed the Disc based PC gaming. As a fan of Disc based media I was never found of Steam. And Epic is just another steam wannabe, so it is hard to understand why so many People l ike the one and hate the other. To me they are all the same.

But maybe I really have to wrong Background to understand the Problem completely.

@reminisce and @GhostTrick I'm not trying to stifle discussion but the amount of links being shared is ever increasing. I see why you;re doing it but please can you both be mindful of the amount of them being posted.

I don't want this to turn into a tit-for-tat link war. Discuss away by all means.

Here's a question: With it not being on steam and on Epic what does this mean for the modding community? Does this have an impact on the ability to mod the games?

Dude, YOU don't have the details, so why are you acting as though this is factually helping Shenmue when there's nothing suggesting that to be true?

Unless you DO have the details, in which case, pray tell.

Yu Suzuki-sama smiling on stage of the EGS-sponsored E3 PC Gaming Show is all the detail you need to know for now...

Yu Suzuki-sama smiling on stage of the EGS-sponsored E3 PC Gaming Show is all the detail you need to know for now...
That means nothing, considering the backlash happened happened yet, and Yu-san's already admitted to not following the industry. Especially not the PC, which he doesn't have much experience with, since he's always been a console developer. I think he had no idea what this whole EGS deal was going to mean for his game. You're just desperately grasping at ANYTHING at this point, to be completely honest with you...

Yes mabye you need to be PC to see the context. For me steam is just THE culprit that started the digital only future and killed the Disc based PC gaming. As a fan of Disc based media I was never found of Steam. And Epic is just another steam wannabe, so it is hard to understand why so many People l ike the one and hate the other. To me they are all the same.

But maybe I really have to wrong Background to understand the Problem completely.

Alright, I'll make a quick history for you, as you may lack the background for it, which is okay:

What you call the disc based PC gaming is seen with rose tainted glasses. Back then; Disc based PC gaming was a pain in the ass for multiple reasons:
  • You still had to activate the game with a key (which could be either missprinted or already used, in which case you were screwed).
  • Updates couldn't be done, you had to download files uploaded in shady russian websites.
  • THose disc based release often had HARSH copy protections which often meant you couldn't even boot your product

Before Steam was big, PC gaming was going through a harsh phase. Because of what I said before, piracy rates were really high on PC. Which means a lot of big publishers basically abandonned the platform. Ubisoft wanted to stop releasing PC games, Epic (yes, the same epic) abandonned PC for consoles because of piracy, Japanese publishers wouldn't release games on PC and Western publishers wouldn't often delay pc versions and ship them in a terrible state.

When Steam happened in 2004, it wasn't good for a simple reason: Digital distribution had yet to be created. It was in its infancy. So yeah, the beginning was harsh and for a good reason. But Valve, as opposed to other publishers who left the platform, thought it was worthy to work hard on it and push the platform. Since 2010, Valve has been pushing for PC and made Steam big but also pushed for smaller markets with regional pricing, were they were told piracy was too big, like China or Russia.

Following Valve's effort, PC saw a resurgence a PC users buying games. Starting from 2010, multiple publishers started to support the platform again. And some even came for the first time, like Japanese publishers.

Valve's effort were the following: Developping a convenient to use platform. I'm a console gamer at heart, who also played on PC but knew it was a hassle to do. Valve pushed for controller support. Valve made downloading, updating and playing your games easy with a single click on PC, which wasn't possible before. Valve made possible for people like me to play their PC games on a TV with a TV interface that supports controllers.

It's because of Valve's push for the platform that today, I can play Resident Evil, Dragon Quest or Shenmue on PC, games that wouldn't see a PC release otherwise back in the days.

Because they pushed for a pro-customer stance:
Giving users features like cloud saves, sharing games, refunding games, modding support, controller support.

People like Valve because if today they can play on PC, that's because they're the only one who supported the platform when Epic left and many others too.

People hates Epic because they come back in a strong way, by forcing users hands with a orse service. 2019 Epic is worse than 2009 Steam, which supported achievements and cloud saves.

2019 Epic has no excuse because it's 2019. These features are old and everyone has them now.

I know it kind of sucks if you really want the game on Steam. But I don't think some of the reactions we're seeing are ok.
Many people are beyond angry. And all you have to do is download an app. (most of them probably already have it)
if not just download it. Stop whining. Roll with it if your a true fan.
If Suzuki did this, its because it was beneficial for Shenmue (financially speaking)

That means nothing, considering the backlash happened happened yet, and Yu-san's already admitted to not following the industry. Especially not the PC, which he doesn't have much experience with, since he's always been a console developer. I think he had no idea what this whole EGS deal was going to mean for his game. You're just desperately grasping at ANYTHING at this point, to be completely honest with you...

I mean, someone saying "Yu Suzuki-sama" is cringe as fuck.

I know it kind of sucks if you really want the game on Steam. But I don't think some of the reactions we're seeing are ok.
Many people are beyond angry. And all you have to do is download an app. (most of them probably already have it)
If Suzuki did this, its because it was beneficial for Shenmue (financially speaking)

Alright. Be true to your words then. Cancel your PS4 preorder and buy it on Epic Store where Yu Suzuki will get more money. Don't be all talk, be acts.

No, it's not about downloading an app. It's getting a worse version of the game. Stop being an apologist like this. You know deep inside of you that what's being done isn't okay. And that it was only benefical to Deep Silver. The deal didn't happened a year ago when the game needed funds. It happened before release.

I mean, someone saying "Yu Suzuki-sama" is cringe as fuck.

Alright. Be true to your words then. Cancel your PS4 preorder and buy it on Epic Store where Yu Suzuki will get more money. Don't be all talk, be acts.

No, it's not about downloading an app. It's getting a worse version of the game. Stop being an apologist like this. You know deep inside of you that what's being done isn't okay. And that it was only benefical to Deep Silver. The deal didn't happened a year ago when the game needed funds. It happened before release.
Who cares dude?

Who cares dude?

Who cares ? The dude who put 300 dollars in the game. And many more. There's already 1200 comments in the news on Kickstarter in less than a day. You really think none of them are backers ?

It's good for you, you're still getting what you were promised. I'm not.

And all you have to do is download an app.
Are you incapable of reading, dude? We've already said repeatedly why the app is a piece of the shittiest-tier of garbage and why we refuse to use it. Period.

Also, I am a true fan, thank you very much, I just don't let video game franchises determine when I should undermine my own personal values, because games aren't the end-all, be-all for me, not even Shenmue. Maybe don't try playing arbiter of who is and who isn't a ahem "true fan," eh?

Are you incapable of reading, dude? We've already said repeatedly why the app is a piece of the shittiest-tier of garbage and why we refuse to use it. Period.

Also, I am a true fan, thank you very much, I just don't let video game franchises determine when I should undermine my own personal values, because games aren't the end-all, be-all for me, not even Shenmue. Maybe don't try playing arbiter of who is and who isn't a ahem "true fan," eh?
Can we all calm down. Keep it civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back