Recent content by Mystere

1. Mystere

Rate the Shenmue trilogy

Shenmue I - 8/10 Shenmue II - 10/10 Shenmue III - 6/10 The original Shenmue captured my imagination in a way no game had before, and to this day is tied to a feeling of wonder and excitement for me. Shenmue II delivered on this promise in spades, with more action, more intrigue and remains my...
  2. Mystere

Do you think saving Yuan was always going to be S3's main plot point?

I think both are true. Yuan evidently knew the Chi You Men would come for him and left the sword and letter as his legacy to Ryo and Shenhua. The absolute finality of that letter implies we'll never see him again - whether by his escape or by death. So I'm fairly certain the "OG Shenmue III"...
  3. Mystere

Greatest/Your favourite cutscene from the Shenmue series?

YES! That one. Waves of a Morning Haze combined with that sweeping glide across the water is just a beautifully evocative moment. Too bad Wong starts talking.
  4. Mystere

Ren's Greeting "Yo! Nice work, man!"

Pretty sure he thinks Ryo's banging Shenhua and is referring to that.
  5. Mystere

Budget Is NOT An Excuse

No shit, Sherlock. Did I say the development team should've do the re-write? No. I said that's where more of the existing budget should've been allocated - the script.
  6. Mystere

Budget Is NOT An Excuse

Would this be the same budget spent on making Niaowu one of the biggest Shenmue environments to date? A sprawling mass of arcades, gambling, stores, food stalls and nary an NPC walking in the whole place? The same budget poured into developing a dozen different Mini-Games, and on designing and...
  7. Mystere

Budget Is NOT An Excuse

Better White Mask than White Knight, eh? Also, I didn't say 'low reviews', I said 'meh' reviews, which in my opinion encapsulates perfectly the mediocre 69 average it's currently sitting at on Metacritic. Not trying for a 'gotcha' moment, mind. I just didn't say that.
  8. Mystere

Budget Is NOT An Excuse

Oh come off it. Opinion may be subjective, but when a considerable swathe of existing Shenmue fans have issues with, say, III's story (or massive lack thereof) that's a glaring issue. If it's not what a large chunk of its key demographic want, it's a problem. These people aren't going to invest...
  9. Mystere

Shenmue III's Ending was Clutch

Again, it loops back to storytelling. As another user (I forget who) posted elsewhere, the whole Niao Sun twist / reveal would've carried more weight if 1) Ryo even knew she existed, say by a character at least mentioning her name once in Niaowu and 2) 'Niao Sun in disguise' did anything to win...
  10. Mystere

Shenmue III's Ending was Clutch

Is it not mandatory? I thought it was necessary in order to progress?
  11. Mystere

Shenmue III Is Missing Disc 3 & 4!

Neckbeards eh? Weren't you just in a different topic admonishing those who 'attack' people?
  12. Mystere

Budget Is NOT An Excuse

You're right, it is about those things, though ironically I think that 'Shenmue feel' was best captured in Bailu Village, which is a small environment but felt lovingly handcrafted to a tee. Yu Suzuki once said that Shenmue III would expand 'inward, not outward', and yet, in Niaowu it ended up...
  13. Mystere

What was Shenhua doing while interrogating the thug at hermits nest

Honestly I think you're giving credit where none is due. You have no issue with the fact that the Shenhua we met in Shenmue II, one of the most thoroughly fleshed-out characters in the game, whose innocently naive and caring nature is woven as fundamental to the character, whose (thousands of)...
  14. Mystere

IGN Discusses why Shenmue 3’s ending is a big disappointment

Ryo has regressed because he gets his ass kicked by a SatAM cartoon thug in Bailu Village, a thug so trivial he'd be a wrestler in Kowloon if he wasn't beating up and kidnapping old men for Red Snakes money. So far in his quest, Ryo has beaten fearsome opponents like Chai, Master Baihu, and Dou...
  15. Mystere

What do you rate the game (1-10)?

7/10. I expected shortcomings. I expected a smaller scope and an expansion 'inward' as Yu put it. And I expected sub-par graphics by 2019 standards, but I didn't care about these things because to me, Shenmue is all about the story. Yeah.. During development, Yu said he wanted to "create a...
Back