110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media are useless. It just goes to show you how lazy and ridiculous they are.

They could have spent 5 minutes to research the story properly and learn the truth. But nope, no chance.

Im looking forward to the phony shenmue 4 headlines when its announced

"Yu Suzuki promised to end the series in shenmue 3. He lied and betrayed the fans"

"Yu suzuki has expanded ysnet. He stole your kickstarter money. Call the police"

"Yu Suzuki has your mum. He won't release her until you buy his game"
Kind of unrelated, but I must say things like that happens all the time.

Journalists have said that Kojima Hideo said that making "Battle Royale" games is the easiest thing in the world, when in fact all he said was that it is easier to reach a wider audience with this type of game because of its popularity.

Stopping following game journalists was the best decision I ever made.

Not to be a smartass, but I admit I'm smirking that one or two who suggested to me that we must "keep the faith" are now the quickest to lose hope and discourage the rest. Maybe we all ought to post our personal timelines on which length and degree of hope is acceptable in all situations :coffee:

More charitably/seriously... to my mind, the probability of an S4 by means of 110 is hardly different from what we were thinking two weeks ago, despite the excitement/disappointment for each of us individually. They continue to ebb and flow with their Shenmue likes on twitter, and they've teased more pointedly some possibilities of something (key word) with Suzuki. I admit: if that's a lie, their move is probably a bridge too far for maintaining professionalism.

Two points I keep in mind here:
a. The Dojo built much of this grand timeline for itself. (Not to rehash it, but even the "couple of weeks" literalism-- as a language teacher myself, I think it quite possible the 110 tweet manager doesn't speak English as a native language, and maybe the idiom could be lost for those desiring absolute prescriptive linguistics.)
b. The market, and likely 110 included, frankly doesn't care about our personal timelines of satisfaction. If anything, they profit from the built anticipation of us dogs biting our own (often self-inflicted) wounds. I don't respect that mentality at all, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist (or work).

TL;DR, I maintain what I've said all along: we've little to no confirmation, but the "copium vibes" of the thread don't change what 110 may or may not have been doing before the "hopium" was handed out in these parts. We may get S4, we may not; 110 may be assholes, they may not. That doesn't change simply because you ran out of hope three hours or ago or because you developed it 3 days ago.
San Diego called. They want their class back. #letsgetshenmue4

Last edited:
Journalists have said that Kojima Hideo said that making "Battle Royale" games is the easiest thing in the world, when in fact all he said was that it is easier to reach a wider audience with this type of game because of its popularity.
Kojima in general is one of the most easily misquoted people in the industry to the point where there was a period he was seen as this totally up his own ass pompous guy cause of rough translations of him and people jumping the gun, meanwhile in real life he's just a dorky dude obsessed with media of all kinds and pretty much reacts to everything he sees as being better than his stuff.

I'm in the middle here. Those articles about "No concrete plans" may be a misquote but Yu Suzuki did say "if I get a chance to make 4 or a spinoff, I will" or something similar - this is NOT encouraging to anyone hoping 110 is sitting on an imminent Shenmue 4 announcement and you're wearing blinders if you think otherwise.

Could definitely still happen, the teasing they engaged in was pretty ridiculous, but I said at the beginning if a couple months go by and nothing happens then this doesn't really mean anything.

Let's see what the next week or two brings.

Those articles about "No concrete plans" may be a misquote but Yu Suzuki did say "if I get a chance to make 4 or a spinoff, I will" or something similar - this is NOT encouraging to anyone hoping 110 is sitting on an imminent Shenmue 4 announcement and you're wearing blinders if you think otherwise.
Not sure it's a case of wearing blinders to consider it might be misdirection, which has been talked over to death already.

If an unannounced Shenmue 4 is indeed being made (YS Net were pitching a build of it, so some amount of development has happened) what do people honestly expect Yu to say in these situations? He can’t just come out in a random interview and confirm it because the interviewer asked him nicely. Of course he’s going to shut down those probing questions with his usual reply.

If like SEGA of old, he had said “There are no plans for a Shenmue 4” then fine, that would be different. But he’s repeating verbatim what he said shortly before Shenmue 3 was announced.

There a million things you can say to misdirect and remain vague without saying "if I had a chance" which mostly implies what the media is reporting on... I think it's a bit of a fallacy to suggest that the only alternative, and that those who remain skeptical are suggesting that Yu Suzuki would have blurted out "OH WELL FUNNY YOU MENTION THAT, BECAUSE I'M TOTALLY WORKING ON SHENMUE IV RIGHT NOW" instead.

But hey, maybe he's been watching Andrew Garfield interviews :D

Look it at like this every day that goes past we are getting closer to a reveal...they said a couple of weeks it can't be much longer now. They've already put it out there and it'll be pretty hard to go back on it now. All we can do as hard as it is, is just wait.

The sooner they do, the better. Then we can move on whatever is announced. If it's not Shenmue related, it's not the end of the world and also doesn't mean Shenmue IV isn't happening. And even if Shenmue IV isn't happening right now, it doesn't mean it won't ever happen.
The series is in a far better place and like I've said before has proved it can be successful and eventually if not now later someone will pick it up and want to explore its story further. Shenmue so far has only got through 40% of its story arc there's plenty left in the tank to milk either in game or in anime. Once 110 drop their news, we'll know what our next move will be. We will definitely see a sequel one day regardless that much I do believe.

110 Industries:

... i have a feeling we were supposed to announce something yesterday ...
we had a teaser clip with some people walking on the chinese wall ... what was it again
ah whatever, lets do it next month then.

giphy.gif

Whats going on with the Twitter and Facebook comment notification sound spam

donald-duck-angry.gif

If you just read into the fictional quote, "No concrete plans for S4" a little deeper, Yu is clearly referring to the fact he has no plans to make S4 out of concrete, despite not even saying it in the first place.

Hype train back on the tracks, let's go!!
I don’t understand how anyone can think this. Suzuki is obviously confirming that the often requested concrete mixing mini game will not be in Shenmue 4, that’s why he said S3 was for the fans and S4 will be for a broader audience. It couldn’t be clearer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back