An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought id be doing this again but......
5ngzZog.jpg

All aboard. This train is moving once again.

Sharens will require extra security checks
Haha! the hype train is back

Could it be?

My first thought was the Steam/GOG release planned for November, but he/she says it’s “unexpected” and mentions Shenmue’s “story” in particular.

See, I would have said Story DLC for 3 but it's already been confirmed that there won't be anymore DLC.

So, it kinda has to be Shenmue 4, doesn't it? :unsure: :love:

I don't think Shenmue 4 would be a " fun kinda' unexpected announcement " it would be a "Huge" announcement

Ryo cameo in a new Sega game or Shenmue related new media (Book/Anime) is my guess.

I don't think Shenmue 4 would be a " fun kinda' unexpected announcement " it would be a "Huge" announcement

Ryo cameo in a new Sega game or Shenmue related new media (Book/Anime) is my guess.
He has specifically mentioned "story" so it has to be something more significant than just a Ryo cameo. A possible netflix adaption, potential spin off is on the cards. It either has to be related to the story like a prequel to Shenmue 1 or something after Shenmue 3.

Agree with this. The word fun implies something easter eggy. That said, the mention of story implies some kind of continuation.

Assuming the guy’s not full of shit, I’m guessing a manga. Right now the only news I care about is Shenmue 4.

Gamescom is around the corner. If Deep Silver is still involved (I would have to assume they are) then it's a good place for them to come out and talk about it. Given Deep Silver is mostly a European company and all and Shenmue III did have some presence at Gamescom. It's where we got the first release date mind you for III. I don't want to get too hyped...but I think it could be coming boys (and girls)

Shenmue 4 - at this point - would totally be an unexpected announcement. The thought of getting 4 so soon? Well if that isn't HELLA fun, I really don't know what is!

But yeah, I agree that it's more "huge" than "fun", but this guy probably doesn't realise how big a Shenmue 4 is for us lol

Recently Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) and Castlevania (Konami) got animated Netflix series so...maybe something like that?

It would bring huge exposure to the series and with the right production values could be special indeed. No doubt Sega would take most of the money but maybe YsNet would get paid on character / story credits which in turn could help fund sequels?

but then you run the risk of alienating players who play only for story and if that's been told in another medium it's redundant?

It's good to wildly speculate again
That would make a lot of sense there were also rumors of Netflix adapting Splinter Cell so a Netflix Shenmue adaptation (animated or live action) would make sense.

It could also be a silly side game like a Chobu chan 2D platformer since its an "unexpected and fun" announcement.

Announcement: S4 story abandoned. Shenmue to continue as a dating sim on pc only.

Xiuying best girl r/churchofxiuying

But yeah, the way it's phrased as a "fun" announcement makes it a bit difficult to narrow down. My first thought was that it could be a directors cut re-release of Shenmue III for next-gen consoles with additional story content, redone cutscenes, and updated graphics and gameplay. That might piss off a few people but I'd buy it, haha.

Agreed that Shenmue IV would be a huge announcement and not just a fun announcement. Maybe his idea of "fun" would mean that it's released in an episodic format?

Maybe we'll be getting the "true" remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2 that were scrapped in favor of the HD Ports.

I think the game doesn't have enough mainstream appeal to be made into any sort of streaming series, but if it's done well I wouldn't mind.

Given how the Sega "megaton" announcement was fog gaming, I want to keep my expectations in check. Perhaps some sort of cross-over or special appearance is the most likely scenario?

It's the "story" part that leaves me most interested.

If it was something as simple as Ryo making an appearance elsewhere then why mention "those who care about Shenmue and its story"?

That's what is making me believe it could potentially be IV.

But I'm not getting my hopes up either. It could be a total mislead. But yeah, why mention "story" if it wasn't something substantial?

But again, not getting my hopes up. It could either be a troll, mislead or the real deal, but yeah, seems interesting to mention story specifically.

I could see IV being an unexpected announcement for some. Considering III was considered a "flop" by the mainstream press. Considering the turnaround being less than a year for IV to be announced. I could see that being "unexpected" if so.

Will wait and see though.

Last edited:
It's the "story" part that leaves me most interested.

If it was something as simple as Ryo making an appearance elsewhere then why mention "those who care about Shenmue and its story"?

That's what is making me believe it could potentially be IV.

But I'm not getting my hopes up either. It could be a total mislead. But yeah, why mention "story" if it wasn't something substantial?

But again, not getting my hopes up. It could either be a troll, mislead or the real deal, but yeah, seems interesting to mention story specifically.

I could see IV being an unexpected announcement for some. Considering III was considered a "flop" by the mainstream press. Considering the turnaround being less than a year for IV to be announced. I could see that being "unexpected" if so.

Will wait and see though.

The tweet "It's not a Steam release or Shenmue 3 coming to another platform, it's something new" is messing with my mind. Yeah, I can see how Shenmue IV would be the most likely conclusion from all of us. I just can't see resources being spent on anything other than the mainline series, unless it's something that Yu Suzuki is not involved with. Another factor is just literally the amount of time any sort of side project would take. Yu Suzuki is 62 years old and by all means has every right to have retired 5-10 years ago, let alone continue to work for another 5 years or so.

Hopefully Gamescom is where we'll hear the news.

I’m trying to consider what would make the most sense at this point in time and I get the following:

Shenmue 4 / Shenmue 1 & 2 for Switch / Shenmue 3 for Xbone, Switch and next gen.

As OP has ruled out ports and a Shenmue 4 announcement could hardly be considered fun that leaves me with:

Novels / Manga / Anime - but it doesn’t seem likely Yu would give up on the story in game form this early (especially with the Steam release still to come and the groundwork being in place for a fourth game.

Ryo guest appearance in something like Smash - but why would he mention story.

DLC - but we’ve been told that there’s no more DLC and the cost of getting actors back into the studio seems odd. Perhaps the Iwao’s story DLC I suggested to Yu could work as it would be a new cast

A switch to Episodic releases - but same issues with cost for repeated studio trips for voice actors.

I’m leaning towards gaps in the story being filled in with manga similarly to the boat chapter between one and two. If Yu knows that he can’t fit everything in to two more games and will have to cut, manga would allow him to tell the full story without compromising future games. If X’ian really has been cut as some seem to think - maybe we’ll get a X’ian manga or manga to fill in some of the gaps in S3’s story.

Didn't expect to see something like this randomly lol. I was already excited for Gamescom starting Thursday just to see any announcements of upcoming games etc, but this has really peaked my interest now. I usually don't buy in to twitter leaks/rumours, so I'll believe it when I see it :p but, I guess the timing makes sense. If they are going to make an announcement then this is the time to do it with Gamescom starting in 2 days and with the GoG and Steam (maybe) releases coming up in a few months. Would be a good way to get Shenmue back into peoples minds.

As others have said, a "fun kinda, unexpected" announcement doesn't sound like Shenmue IV, and with the heavy emphasis story it's super interesting.

If we are getting some more story, I have no idea what form it would be in. After seeing A Gamers Journey's rough cut, I can totally see Yu working with his artists, to make a short manga or webcomic like we had for the missing boat chapter. However, at the same time, I don't know if after Yu's "return to the industry", he would release something non-interactive. Maybe he has some idea to work that into UE4, maybe like a short visual novel?

Yu has said that he doesn't want to cut too much of the story as it would ruin it, and that he would need Shenmue 4-5 to wrap everything up, which might be a bit of a tall ask (we honestly don't know).
Totally one of my thoughts, but maybe he is looking for a way to keep the story "complete" by offloading some of it to smaller episodic releases. Imagine if we get a few small comics/mangas/visual novels, to take us through a a few chapters and then Shenmue IV could finish everything off. That way, we'd still get to see the full story, and it wouldn't be all crammed into 1 game with Shenmue IV (thus the pacing could be good :p). I feel like it would be a great way to expand on the story, 1 chapter at a time and also gather/keep interest. Just an idea :p.

If we were to get more story, I wonder what we would get. Personally here are 3 things that I'd love to see:-
  • Something that fleshed out the new characters that we met in Shenmue III as this is one of the complaints that I see and actually agree with. If we could learn more about Sun, the Grandmaster, Ling, Niao Sun etc.
  • Any story that was "cut" from Shenmue III.
  • What happened between the end of Shenmue III, and when they end up on the wall, or maybe a small story chunk of them walking on the wall, talking etc.
  • Literally any backstory of any character lol. Would be fucking awesome to finally get the lowdown on the martial arts tournament on how Ryo got his scar. Imagine if they just released a standalone 1 hour chunk were we could use the Shenmue III fight engine (with any improvements over the last X months), to fight through the tournament as little Ryo. Would be so damn good, a good way to test the new fighting improvements/get feedback & we'd get some story that we've wanted for 20+ years! **** I'm dreaming though ****
Damn these twitter rumours, got my brain going nuts again... Next few days going to be rough :D!

EDIT:- In response to ShenSun's post above, I think they will announce a way to offload some of the story to smaller side projects which will end with a Shenmue IV announcement. What format the story will come in I have no idea though.

If we get a Shenmue IV announcement however, I'll lose it!

Last edited:
Taking bets. What do you guys think it will be? You get one guess

We'll figure something out for the winner

I'm going with Shenmue 4

555483-image10.jpg

I'm gonna go all in with Shenmue IV as well. Just for the hell of it. I expect to be disappointed, but what the hell! Shenmue IV. Let's do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back