An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! What I mean is I'm not aware of any game annoucement or something, the announce we should have soon is indeed something new about the Shenmue experience in any case. May we get hype or not? I really don't know because I don't have many details, but it looks interesting at least and it's real hope for us as a community I guess. So please be excited eve' though it's not Shenmue 4 :). Could be really Nice.
Hello and welcome. Do you have any ideas of timescales around whatever this might be? What sort of thing are we talking about in terms of Shenmue? Content, books, merch?

You've probably seen my post about YSNET and their reply to me in July.

My guess is from what said the insiders and linked to what kind of content it seems to be, that the information will surely be revealed in September / October.

About the content, difficult to say whitout spoiling but story should be the focus indeed. So people who wanted more story about Shenmue should be happy.

Hello guys! I have not been writing anything on ShenmueDojo for a long time. We got Shenmue 3 on all platforms except Xbox One. So, in my own opinion it may be announce of Xbox version. Honestly, it would make me very happy because sound level of Xbox One cooling system is more pleasant if we compare it with PlayStation 4 CS. And also Xbox one controller is similar to Dreamcast controller.

Hello guys! I have not been writing anything on ShenmueDojo for a long time. We got Shenmue 3 on all platforms except Xbox One. So, in my own opinion it can be announce of Xbox version. Honestly, it would make me very happy because sound level of Xbox One cooling system is more pleasant if we compare it with PlayStation 4 CS. And also Xbox one controller is similar to Dreamcast controller.
Welcome back

No attachment, I'm just putting things into perspective. CoD is also a AAA game and since every PS5 is effectively the same, the same limitations/budget would be the same for any AAA studio. I guess this is why people cite DF quotes when talking about this stuff aswell, because from what we've publicly heard from AAA PS5 developers, kinda contradicts what Golem says..
Every PS5 is the same, but not every Game/Engine/Developer is the same, the performance they get out of the system will vary greatly depending on what is there to render and how efficient their code is, so no, a cross gen game rendering at 120FPS/4K doesn't contradict what Golem says.

The UE5 demo, for example, runs at 1440P/30 FPS, Ratchet & Clank is 4k/30FPS, etc...

so no, a cross gen game rendering at 120FPS/4K doesn't contradict what Golem says.

It does.. Silent Hill is AAA game. This 'leak' by Golem is the only thing that suggests that a AAA studio is having difficulty with PS5, which is what the whole point of this discussion was. Whether or not Silent Hill is exclusive, or rather, whether it is cross-gen or not, doesn't take away from the fact that a AAA studio is developing it and this 'leak' is pretty much the first we're hearing about any struggles..

Given that there's no specifics regarding the PS5s inability to do one thing or another in Golem's "leaks" is what makes it unbelievable until evidence or some actual developer comments on this publicly..

No need to confirm or deny, but what MasterPouret hinted at sounds a lot like a manga/anime. What other means could be for delivering a story that are not a game? (and the novel format is discarded already).

Another point I get from his wording is that this content might possibly lead or have a link to new games, since he says it could "give hope" to the community, and that the announcement is not a game "for now".

As I said, please, don't take this as a request for more information. It's only part of the fun of speculating... :-)

It does.. Silent Hill is AAA game. This 'leak' by Golem is the only thing that suggests that a AAA studio is having difficulty with PS5, which is what the whole point of this discussion was. Whether or not Silent Hill is exclusive, or rather, whether it is cross-gen or not, doesn't take away from the fact that a AAA studio is developing it and this 'leak' is pretty much the first we're hearing about any struggles..

Given that there's no specifics regarding the PS5s inability to do one thing or another in Golem's "leaks" is what makes it unbelievable until evidence or some actual developer comments on this publicly..
You argument boils down to "we haven't heard an AAA studio publicly declare their struggles with the system, therefore any leaks about any developers struggling with it is automatically false"

It ignores:
- How each developer is different, with varying skill sets, even if they're "AAA"
- Each of these developers have a different type of game they're making, and a different goal to achieve when it comes to the technical side, some games will opt for 4k, others will prioritize FPS
- The rumor you're insisting on debunking only claimed that certain developers, who aimed to have their game run at native 4k, are having a hard time achieving it on PS5 compared to XboxSX, and are opting for reconstruction techniques.

I repeat, they are having struggles with ***their*** game, it doesn't matter what CoD runs at, it's a different game pushing a different level of fidelity, by a different studio. What part of this you're not getting?

The PS5 GPU is roughly 2TF less than XBoxSX, has a slower CPU and RAM... It would be suspicious if it DIDN'T outperform PS5 when it comes to resolution

You argument boils down to "we haven't heard an AAA studio publicly declare their struggles with the system, therefore any leaks about any developers struggling with it is automatically false"

It ignores:
- How each developer is different, with varying skill sets, even if they're "AAA"
- Each of these developers have a different type of game they're making, and a different goal to achieve when it comes to the technical side, some games will opt for 4k, others will prioritize FPS
- The rumor you're insisting on debunking only claimed that certain developers, who aimed to have their game run at native 4k, are having a hard time achieving it on PS5 compared to XboxSX, and are opting for reconstruction techniques.

I repeat, they are having struggles with ***their*** game, it doesn't matter what CoD runs at, it's a different game pushing a different level of fidelity, by a different studio. What part of this you're not getting?

You're ignoring that there is no proof of any of this (the specific stuff Golem is talking about), this is my point. Other developers have publicly stated the opposite to the aforementioned claims. I'm not saying it's impossible or unlikely, I am saying that there is more evidence to the contrary at this particular time. What part of this are you not getting?

Also I'm not debunking anything, I'm just stating the current situation and why I am hesitant to believing the content of Golem's tweets, especially given the very broad 'troubles with 4k' (it could be anything).

Last edited:
You're ignoring that there is no proof of any of this (the specific stuff Golem is talking about), this is my point. Other developers have publicly stated the opposite to the aforementioned claims. I'm not saying it's impossible or unlikely, I am saying that there is more evidence to the contrary at this particular time. What part of this are you not getting?

Also I'm not debunking anything, I'm just stating the current situation and why I am hesitant to believing the content of Golem's tweets, especially given the very broad 'troubles with 4k' (it could be anything).
Other developers stating the opposite means fuck all, and I'm tired of explaining to you why.

Maybe it is a anime, as i said before a adaptation of Shenmue I till Shenmue III, and maybe with the help of Yu Suzuki, putting things on the anime that was cut in the games, that counts for something new and with story.

In my opinion if it is a anime we could still get the game Shenmue IV. I have hope Shenmue IV will happen, but this announcement i think it is a anime or something like that.

Last edited:
I still believe its a Netflix adaptation, probably live action, since Netflix seems to be getting rights to adapt all the videogame franchises it can.

I dont think so. A Netflix live action series and fun kinda unexpected
doesnt match if you ask me. A Netflix adaption sounds way too big
for "fun kinda unexpected but not as big as a Shenmue 4 announcement."

I think it will be something way smaller and way cheaper (in terms of production costs).

I still believe its a Netflix adaptation, probably live action, since Netflix seems to be getting rights to adapt all the videogame franchises it can.
I can’t decide which would be worse (anime vs live action).

Given Shenmue’s slow pacing, it would be incredibly difficult to adapt into something that would be of interest to mainstream viewers - whether it be live action or anime. Once you take out all of the filler and repetition, there’s probably about 90 minutes of story at best in the first three games meaning they’d need a hell of a lot of padding if they wanted to do one game or chapter per season.

It could be argued that it would be good exposure for the series as a whole, but I’m not even sure of that.

One assumes Sega would still hold the rights to any adaptation meaning that YSNet wouldn’t benefit financially and there’s no guarantee that Yu would have any major involvement. If reception to the show is poor it has the potential to damage the perception of the Shenmue IP even further and in the miraculous event that it does find some level of success, it still likely won’t get past two seasons due to the way that Netflix structure their deals.

Even if such a show was somehow able to overcome all of these obstacles, we’d then find ourselves in an ‘a song of Ice and Fire’ situation where the show overtakes the original source material potentially ruining the final unrealeased game(s) to the point where the creator has little/no enthusiasm to create them.

I genuinely think that one way or the other, an anime or live action adaptation of Shenmue would be the death of it.

If done right a anime can be a nice addition to Shenmue. In anime have a genre called slice of life where is not about action and things like that, is about the daily life of the characters.

Shenmue Season 1 can be a good slice of life anime and with action, fights, even comedy and much more, 12 episodes in the first season. I'm sure Tom will put a smile on my face everytime he appears, 😊 Tom is one of my favorite characters. I like anime and i have hope that Shenmue can have a nice adaptation for anime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back