Any word on the when the console patch (XB1 & PS4) is coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at Star Wars Battlefront II. It's a AAA game, out for more than a year, that still has way worse and more numerous bugs than Shenmue
Battlefront 2 at launch wasn't nearly as bad as Shenmue is now and it's only gotten much better... And EA has been fixing and adding content to that game non stop since release...

When did an official Sega source say that it would be fixed at launch? They shouldn't be conflated with fan sources Adam and Team Yu, who spread misinformation.
Foolish me for thinking official spokespeople for a company were officially speaking for the company lmfao... but yeah I see your point...

We've waited 18 years for Shenmue III. Surely we can hope our fellow fans can find within themselves a little more patience, maturity, and clear thinking?
These passive aggressive insults are becoming tiring. Nobody is immature or impatient for expecting a product they bought to function properly from the day it was officially available for purchase... this isn't produce where you wait a couple days for it to ripen, it's supposed to be functional the second you buy it...

Sega is doing us a favor by releasing this game. We're not doing them a favor by buying it.
giphy.gif

Look at the reverse, perhaps you're too spoiled, whom puts down the blinders too quick; especially for a series like Shenmue--waiting near two decades for anything new whatsoever. Classic, shitty what-have-you-done-for-me-lately attitude.
Put down the blinders too quick? Are you just trolling at this point?

This isn't about a personal vendetta against Sega. Sega has done plenty for me lately honestly. This is about paying for a functional product, as well as having a definitive version of our favorite game to play. 1080p means nothing when the screen is all white during cutscenes. Overhauled sound design means nothing when sound is completely broken. Being able to save transfer officially for the first time in North America means nothing when the game glitches at the end and doesn't let you make a cleared game file.

A "real fan" as you like to say would want the best for Shenmue, not just give it a pass because SEGA graciously glorified us with this buggy game and we should just be happy with whatever scraps master leaves us. We paid for a game, a game that's not only supposed to be functional but a significant performance improvement over the original. The fact that they haven't done it for 20 years makes it more ridiculous, not more acceptable...

These passive aggressive insults are becoming tiring. Nobody is immature or impatient for expecting a product they bought to function properly from the day it was officially available for purchase...

Their expectations are reasonable, as is your post, but you're taking my statement out of context. I was talking about the butthurt people who're taking turns trying to see who can zing Sega/d3t the hardest, or the ones spouting nonsensical conspiracy theories about Sega intentionally sabotaging their own game.

I'm upset too. I'm all for pushing them to fix it. I just think calling them names and being accusatory, especially a week and a half since release, is going too far. I don't think I was talking about you, for example.

Have you not seen a single post that you felt was overboard, and breathlessly melodramatic about the situation?

Edit: I've spewed a fair amount of vitriol over at the BF2 forum myself, so I can certainly relate, but that's after the game had been out for months and months.

Last edited:
Battlefront 2 at launch wasn't nearly as bad as Shenmue is now and it's only gotten much better... And EA has been fixing and adding content to that game non stop since release...

Foolish me for thinking official spokespeople for a company were officially speaking for the company lmfao... but yeah I see your point...

These passive aggressive insults are becoming tiring. Nobody is immature or impatient for expecting a product they bought to function properly from the day it was officially available for purchase... this isn't produce where you wait a couple days for it to ripen, it's supposed to be functional the second you buy it...

View attachment 1010

Put down the blinders too quick? Are you just trolling at this point?

This isn't about a personal vendetta against Sega. Sega has done plenty for me lately honestly. This is about paying for a functional product, as well as having a definitive version of our favorite game to play. 1080p means nothing when the screen is all white during cutscenes. Overhauled sound design means nothing when sound is completely broken. Being able to save transfer officially for the first time in North America means nothing when the game glitches at the end and doesn't let you make a cleared game file.

A "real fan" as you like to say would want the best for Shenmue, not just give it a pass because SEGA graciously glorified us with this buggy game and we should just be happy with whatever scraps master leaves us. We paid for a game, a game that's not only supposed to be functional but a significant performance improvement over the original. The fact that they haven't done it for 20 years makes it more ridiculous, not more acceptable...
It’s also just incredibly damaging to the series. This is many people’s first exposure to a game that’s already dated and has lots of difficult mechanics. Game and immersion breaking bugs are just going to ruin this thing for new fans and the hardcore alike. I’m happy it sold, but they need to get in front of this.

It’s also just incredibly damaging to the series. This is many people’s first exposure to a game that’s already dated and has lots of difficult mechanics. Game and immersion breaking bugs are just going to ruin this thing for new fans and the hardcore alike. I’m happy it sold, but they need to get in front of this.

Yeah, that's the real shame. The game already has some challenges when it comes to new players, as you said. Mainly the graphics being 20 years old, and the control taking some getting used to (which I had to relearn as well, LOL!).

I'm really hoping they will fix it and add to it, as far as something similar to the passport's leaderboard features, as that would be really good for the community and would keep people playing, even beyond the obligatory multiple replays that Shenmue typically inspires.

That, combined with the odd trailers and the reaction to Shenmue 3, just make me worry people are going to think Yu Suzuki and his crew are and always were incompetent. They won't realize the bugs are mostly brand new bugs like we do... Anyway, that's just one of my concerns. My biggest heartbreak is that I was really enjoying myself and now feel like I'm going to have to put my game on hold for a long time. I just can't play the game if the cutscenes don't function.

So without wading into the debate (but for record, I've enjoyed my play through of Shenmue so far and find the reaction to the bugs to be exaggerated), I do feel the need to say 'I told you so'...

I totally called this. I said there was no day one patch and Sega were just trying to supress and limitate any concerns surrounding the bugs spotted from those who got the game early.

Hopefully we get a patch soon... I'll probably finish Shenmue 1 the next time I play and I don't want to start Shenmue 2 before it's patched, since I've already mostly raced through Shenmue 1 pre-patch and I'm unlikely to replay these games again for a long time, if ever.

I guess I'm exaggerating to an extent, but for me a cutscene about something like the Phoenix Mirror being completely black or focused on a random texture is a big deal. It ruins the immersion and the storytelling and is enough to make me stop playing. I actually love Shenmue's story and how the cutscenes are presented, so it's a big disappointment...

That, combined with the odd trailers and the reaction to Shenmue 3, just make me worry people are going to think Yu Suzuki and his crew are and always were incompetent. They won't realize the bugs are mostly brand new bugs like we do... Anyway, that's just one of my concerns. My biggest heartbreak is that I was really enjoying myself and now feel like I'm going to have to put my game on hold for a long time. I just can't play the game if the cutscenes don't function.

It does suck, but from a practical sense, I've just been saving often, especially if I think a cutscene is coming. If it's black I quit the game and reload. I've never had one be black a 2nd time. Not great, but it's a workaround.

Well, this will probably out me as a weirdo, but I'm playing the game like I'm on a Dreamcast and only saving in Ryo's room so that's also limiting my ability to overcome these issues. :)

I guess I'm exaggerating to an extent, but for me a cutscene about something like the Phoenix Mirror being completely black or focused on a random texture is a big deal. It ruins the immersion and the storytelling and is enough to make me stop playing. I actually love Shenmue's story and how the cutscenes are presented, so it's a big disappointment...

I understand. I wasn't criticising anyone in particular, but just the rhetoric I've seen suggesting the game is 'broken' or 'unplayable'. The broken cutscenes issue is highly irritating, but (in my experience) it is rare. It's not a static, consistent issue that re-occurs each time. It is random bug and therefore reloading a save (thank god we can save at any point now!) usually results in the affected cutscene playing fine. I've had one broken cutscene and I'm on disc 3 now.

I don't want to diminish anyone's legitimate criticisms though. These bugs SHOULD have been fixed before release and damn well should have been patched by this point.

Well, this will probably out me as a weirdo, but I'm playing the game like I'm on a Dreamcast and only saving in Ryo's room so that's also limiting my ability to overcome these issues. :)

Oh that explains it. Haha fair play to you for being a purist. Hopefully they fix the issue soon for you, as having had issues with my Dreamcast discs, I know the pain of having to re-load a save all too well :(

"real fan" was tongue in cheek, and by the defensive reactions by some, I'd say it was effective haha

you're all putting too much effort into trying to be master of complaints and sticking it to Sega with tough talk. How many times has spud suggested you tweet or email Sega? You seem to simply want to hear yourselves speak hahaha

So still radio silence on when the patch is coming? I’ve stopped playing Shenmue 2 because the music distortion was too annoying to continue. I’d really like to get back into it.

you're all putting too much effort into trying to be master of complaints and sticking it to Sega with tough talk. How many times has spud suggested you tweet or email Sega? You seem to simply want to hear yourselves speak hahaha
It's just venting. We've already reported all we could to Sega and will continue to do so, but until they actually do anything about it we're pretty pissed off...

I dont think everyone is quite understanding the implications present surrounding the Shenmue I and II HD Collection. The entire franchise is riding on the public perception of these concerning new players, if we are going to get anything past Shenmue III the series is going to need new fans returning, we have to make Shenmue III profitable. Sega and d3t are not doing YSNet and the Shenmue III team any favors by releasing the original games in this state PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT. We have to build this community and engage new players and create new fans for this series to have a chance, releasing Shenmue I and II with this many bugs and glitches and issues will put off new players and ultimately put them off from wanting to give Shenmue III a go, this is very very important for the collective series moving forward, I cannot stress enough how important it is. Does everyone not understand that these issues make the series takes steps back when they are supposed to be making them take steps forward? We may not see past Shenmue III because of this guys, its a crucial crucial important first step and they are botching it so far. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING MORE THAN EMAIL BUG REPORTS, Please read my previous posts and think about if there is anything we can come up with to help remedy this if its not already too late the Shenmue series is at stake whether everyone realizes it or not.

There's literally nothing we can do aside from complain and send Sega our bug reports. It's in Sega's hands at this point.

Have any of you guys, for a moment, considered that Shenmue will never be anything other than a niche, cult series passionately adored by a specific group of gaming fans? There is not going to be a great Shenmue renaissance. It is never going to be a mainstream, AAA franchise.

Besides, despite all the criticisms and complaints, critics were overwhelmingly more positive than anyone here seemed to think they would be. Clearly, it's the fans that are being more negative...

I don't make excuses for any company fleecing people for any amount of money. It's worse when it's for something I hold dear to my heart.

I have to say that is a little weird considering you could save anywhere in the Dreamcast version as well... it was just a temp save instead of a hard one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back