Any word on the when the console patch (XB1 & PS4) is coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's how I'm occupying myself while I wait for the patch.

I really love the Free Battle system, and training my moves, so what I'm doing is spending a lot of time training for 70 Person Battle Mode...since I'm not ready to move on to S2, and I always like to have at least one save with super buffed up moves for the 70.....so I figured I might as well do it now.

I'm at the point where the next thing you have to do is get a job, and since I know that's close to the beginning of the end, I'm Groundhog Daying like a mofo. I'm at a point where I can spar w/ Fuku-san every day, collect all the capsule toys I want, stack up allowance, hit the prize drawings at both stores, and call Nozomi on the phone all the time. Awkward conversation is my secret finishing move.

I practice my throws on Fuku-san, and then run down to Sakuragaoka Park to beat the air mercilessly. Maybe a little Mimi time, on the way, and then I run over and wedge myself into the doorway, spamming moves like crazy.

It's early January, so there's plenty of time to train up and still have time to get to where I'm going while the weather's still nice. You can train many moves to full (from orange to red) just by practicing the one single move for an entire day (depending on how much you've already used it, of course), so with less than 25 non-throw moves, it's maybe not quite as crazy as it sounds.....if you have the patience for it.

Hopefully by the time I get him fully pumped up, the game will be patched, and I can move on to S2. When I finish that, I will come back and play S1, in Japanese VO for the first time ever, and do all the stuff I didn't do the first time around, hopefully with reliable cutscenes. I'll keep my buffed Ryo down in save slot 10 for when I want to do 70 Person Battle.

That's my strategy. :)

Last edited:
Considering the budget is made up almost exclusively from our pledges and other outside donations, I’d be a bit concerned if YS Net are unable to make a profit!

Before the Shenmue HD Fall Out I wouldnt be as skeptical, what i am saying is I am starting to doubt that more and more given the knowledge we now have. Keep in mind, the backers pledged for the development AND copies of the game in various forms all with that development, what ever greater money they end up making its gonna be from non-backer full retail price buyers.

Before the Shenmue HD Fall Out I wouldnt be as skeptical, what i am saying is I am starting to doubt that more and more given the knowledge we now have. Keep in mind, the backers pledged for the development AND copies of the game in various forms all with that development, what ever greater money they end up making its gonna be from non-backer full retail price buyers.
I made the same point in another thread the other day. Most series fans have already bought their copy/copies of the game through their pledges. I can’t see S3 selling too well but would be surprised if they are unable to sell the one copy they would need to sell to make it profitable.

Yeah but you could make the same argument that because Shenmue 1 sold a million copies on the Dreamcast, no-one would be interested in it again now because everyone already has their copy of the game - and yet Shenmue HD just hit #2 in the UK, and is mostly sold-out worldwide, a chart position and sales performance Shenmue 3 is extremely likely to replicate. I see what you guys are saying (pre-purchased copies will dampen overall sales numbers) but 80K backers is nothing if Shenmue 3 sells in surplus of say, a million, which it might given the hype and fever around the game, as demonstrated by its reveal at E3. A million isn't that far from the equation either, Sonic Mania managed it and that was quite low-key by Sega's standards. If Shenmue 3 hits its release date, reviews quite well, and turns out decent, I can see it doing as well as Shenmue HD.

Shenmue HD almost hit number one. It's sold out everywhere. Shenmue 3 is likely to near-definitely do the same.

Last edited:
Yeah but you could make the same argument that because Shenmue 1 sold a million copies on the Dreamcast, no-one would be interested in it again now because everyone already has their copy of the game - and yet Shenmue HD just hit #2 in the UK, and is mostly sold-out worldwide, a chart position and sales performance Shenmue 3 is extremely likely to replicate. I see what you guys are saying (pre-purchased copies will dampen overall sales numbers) but 80K backers is nothing if Shenmue 3 sells in surplus of say, a million, which it might given the hype and fever around the game, as demonstrated by its reveal at E3. A million isn't that far from the equation either, Sonic Mania managed it and that was quite low-key by Sega's standards. If Shenmue 3 hits its release date, reviews quite well, and turns out decent, I can see it doing as well as Shenmue HD.

Shenmue HD almost hit number one. It's sold out everywhere. Shenmue 3 is likely to near-definitely do the same.
I’m assuming when you talk about it being #2 in the charts you’re referring to the UK chart? I think it’s prety telling that the games placed 3rd and 4th are Crash Bandicoot and GTA5 (2 games that have been out for 1 and 3 years respectively). Until I see some unit numbers; my assumption will be that it’s probably shifted between 10 and 20 thousand copies.

That it’s sold out isn’t an indicator of its success either. It seems very much as though their just weren’t enough copies printed.

If I had to guess, I’d say Sega were trying to get the bugs fixed right up to the last minute and ended up missing their print deadline leading to massive shortages of stock (which would explain why some retailers were unable to fulfil pre-orders and a lot of stores didn’t receive any copies of the game at all).

Last edited:
Here's how I'm occupying myself while I wait for the patch.

I really love the Free Battle system, and training my moves, so what I'm doing is spending a lot of time training for 70 Person Battle Mode...since I'm not ready to move on to S2, and I always like to have at least one save with super buffed up moves for the 70.....so I figured I might as well do it now.

I'm at the point where the next thing you have to do is get a job, and since I know that's close to the beginning of the end, I'm Groundhog Daying like a mofo. I'm at a point where I can spar w/ Fuku-san every day, collect all the capsule toys I want, stack up allowance, hit the prize drawings at both stores, and call Nozomi on the phone all the time. Awkward conversation is my secret finishing move.

I practice my throws on Fuku-san, and then run down to Sakuragaoka Park to beat the air mercilessly. Maybe a little Mimi time, on the way, and then I run over and wedge myself into the doorway, spamming moves like crazy.

It's early January, so there's plenty of time to train up and still have time to get to where I'm going while the weather's still nice. You can train many moves to full (from orange to red) just by practicing one single move for an entire day (depending on how much you've already used it, of course), so with less than 25 non-throw moves, it's maybe not quite as crazy as it sounds.....if you have the patience for it.

Hopefully by the time I get him fully pumped up, the game will be patched, and I can move on to S2. When I finish that, I will come back and play S1, in Japanese VO for the first time ever, and do all the stuff I didn't do the first time around, hopefully with reliable cutscenes. I'll keep my buffed Ryo down in save slot 10 for when I want to do 70 Person Battle.

That's my strategy. :)

And that, my son, sounds like a plan!

Wow, so many angry people...

I love how people are using “if fans managed to get widescreen cutscenes and high resolution textures in a few days then surely d3t are lazy” argument.

Yeah, because changing a hex code or substituting some files is so much more work than porting the entire engine to modern platforms...

Furthermore, we don’t know what the brief was from Sega - e.g: creating new textures for everything in the game would take a lot of time and drastically change the way the game looks - not necessarily for the better. (I don’t want new textures, I just want to play the original games as they were to begin with), so d3t can’t be called lazy for not doing this, because they were obviously never told to do so.

Look, I’m disappointed that we don’t have a patch yet either, but generally aside from the music and cutscenes bugs, there’s not a huge amount that’s wrong. The music problems themselves seem to be issues with emulating the way the Dreamcast handles midi files - I’m sure this can be improved with time, but probably goes to show how difficult it was getting it running on new hardware.

Wow, so many angry people...

I love how people are using “if fans managed to get widescreen cutscenes and high resolution textures in a few days then surely d3t are lazy” argument.

Yeah, because changing a hex code or substituting some files is so much more work than porting the entire engine to modern platforms...

Furthermore, we don’t know what the brief was from Sega - e.g: creating new textures for everything in the game would take a lot of time and drastically change the way the game looks - not necessarily for the better. (I don’t want new textures, I just want to play the original games as they were to begin with), so d3t can’t be called lazy for not doing this, because they were obviously never told to do so.

Look, I’m disappointed that we don’t have a patch yet either, but generally aside from the music and cutscenes bugs, there’s not a huge amount that’s wrong. The music problems themselves seem to be issues with emulating the way the Dreamcast handles midi files - I’m sure this can be improved with time, but probably goes to show how difficult it was getting it running on new hardware.

I mostly agree with you, we can excuse the aspect ratio but the music part is unexcusable.
They surely have the mp3 or aiff version of the songs, the only thing they had to do is upload them. An error like this only means that their audio department is simply lacking. A midi file is is just a code that uses intruments from an already existing program (like Logic, Ableton or Garage Band), and if the program is bad, if some bug occurs you can hear something like reverb problems or pitch change.
They simply didn’t LISTEN to the final track, and this is BAD because the music being out of pitch is something that even a child would notice.
And mostly, to resolve this problem there could have been 2 ways:
- upload the aiff or mp3 versions of the songs
- fix the midi files instruments. I work with music, and fixing these minor things could take less than 5 minutes per songs if you know what you’re doing.

I defend D3T for everything and I am optimist.
I think they are to be thanked when it comes to resurrecting Shenmue code with such a low budget and time, But the music issue is simply a lack of professional work and people in the audio department.

Just installed the new Beta Patch for PC. Still having issues with QTE Title 2 sadly. I first thought that the patch didn't install and that the DL that I saw might have been for V1.01 as they pushed that to the live branch. Awkwardly, there is no indicator of which patch you are currently playing, as there is no version number on the title screen etc.

Either way, just went back to the live branch and it started DL'ing the v1.01 patch, so indeed I am on v1.02. Going to jump back in in a bit to test some more stuff.

Here are a list of the fixes from the new patch for those who cba to go to steam:-

Patch notes (v2):

UI
• Fixed various instances of incorrect help screen text displayed around the game.
• Fixed various instances of incorrect button prompts being shown in the HUD.
• Fixed duplicated button prompts in QTE Title 2.
• Fixed an occasional issue when transitioning into the menu when in Shenmue 1.
• Fixed an issue with 2560 x 1080 UI resolutions.
• Fixed issues with resolutions wider than 2560.
• Fixed an issue with QTE prompts not flashing.

Controls
• Fixed inconsistencies when sparring in the dojo.

Graphical Issues
• Fixed various character skinning issues.
• Fixed an issue that caused bloom to re-enable itself when opening the notebook.
• Fixed an issue that would cause crushed blacks on some hardware setups.
• Fixed various instances of missing geometry and textures.
• Fixed various issues with cameras being incorrect in cut scenes.
• Fixed issues with hair sometimes rendering slightly transparent.
• Fixed some instances of missing facial animation.
• Fixed occasional issues with cloth rendering.

Miscellaneous
• Fixed an issue that caused increased CPU load on some hardware.
• Various stability improvements.
• Fixed a soft-lock when playing Shenmue 1 arcade games past Ryo’s bed time.
• Fixed an issue that could cause stuttering on monitors that support 75Hz refresh rates.
• The gong in Bunkado Antiques can now be interacted with.
• Fixing various instances of localisation issues.
• Fixed an issue in Shenmue 1 where sleeping would sometimes not update move experience.
• Various performance improvements.

Audio
• Fixed various instances of crackling background music.
• Fixed crackling while listening to cassettes.
• Fixed various issues with arcade game audio.
• Fixed issues with rain.
• Fixed issues with some sound effects not looping correctly.
• Fixed issues with some sound effects crackling.

okay, so they are going to test all the patches on Steam and then we will get one huge patch on consoles in 3 months.
:sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back