Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can not buy in bulk forever, right? They should already have food and toilet paper for a month or more. So next restock should last longer since the panicked people already have its food, right?
You'd hope so but unfortunately we're full of grade A idiots here.

They can not buy in bulk forever, right? They should already have food and toilet paper for a month or more. So next restock should last longer since the panicked people already have its food, right?

This is what I was thinking. If they've stockpiled and are now isolating, things should start to settle down.
Really though, supermarkets should be limiting the number of an item people can buy.

I learned that a friend of mine has bought 100 toilet rolls the other day...

I panic quite easily and i'm terrified of dying, but for some reason I find keeping busy (games, films, books) and washing your hands a little longer than normal is helping. We have a meeting at work on Tuesday to discuss the possibility of working from home. It's so weird, I'm well aware of what is happening around me, but it doesn't feel *real* if that makes sense?

I get scared when I have an internal illness, because I can't *see* what's going on. I have a 6-inch second degree burn on my leg (accidentally standing in front of an open flame heater for 20 seconds at an outdoor party moments after nearly crashing my car skidding off the road...i'm not making this up!) and dealt with that quite well, yet when I get a cold, I panic.

The only thing that is worrying me at the moment is the thought of self isolation. I get cabin fever being in the same space for a long period of time (going for just a 10 minute walk seriously helps), so not sure i'll be too happy about it should it come. My job is very much peaks and troughs, so the thought of having to work at home with little to do isn't good. I live in a village, so my selfish thought is that I can go out for a short walk without bumping into anybody if things get too much.

My girlfriend lives in Japan and I haven't heard from her in 3 weeks. We're going through a tough spot in our relationship at the moment, so not hearing from her isn't helping. I pray she is OK with the virus over there too.

Sorry for the blabbing; just feels good to get it off my chest. I had a pint with my friends last night trying to put the world to rights and i'm pleased that although we're a little worried, we still have our heads together.
I noticed the bit about you being afraid of dying. Have you seen the below by any chance?

Self-centredness, lack of consideration for our fellow man, irresponsibility, callousness, greed, and blind panic in the face of adversity is the deeply troubling lesson that this outbreak has delivered. Can you even begin to imagine what we would devolve into in the event of the power grid failing?

Read on Yahoo that a 9 month year old was diagnosed with the virus. Parents took him to the doctor and he checked the child's temperature and ears and diagnosed him with the virus. I hope this is not how they are diagnosing other cases.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the newness of the virus and the general lack of understanding that comes with it, but I can't hell but think something significant is being missed out here with the information. Are all those deaths in Italy actually caused by the virus? Could we create a similar panic with the standard flu?

I'm curious to see how this thing all ends.

Sadly, as the flu kills the same demographic/age as the Coronovirus, one can never know the exact accuracy of the death toll.

Italy's is so high because they have a SHIT-TON of pensioners (it's actually the reason why their economy is terrible, because so much money is given to those who don't work {pensioners} and there isn't a large-enough workforce to offset), so it's only natural that they would have a super-high death rate of the virus.

Then again, Japan is the king of old people, country-wise and their death rates aren't in the same realm.

This is why this is excellent fodder for the tinfoil-hat, conspiracy theory-loving people (that the US or someone, "cooked up," the virus), as this will end the lives of many pensioners, thus putting less strain on the economy.

But, thankfully, I'm not a conspiracy hound ;)

Read on Yahoo that a 9 month year old was diagnosed with the virus. Parents took him to the doctor and he checked the child's temperature and ears and diagnosed him with the virus. I hope this is not how they are diagnosing other cases.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the newness of the virus and the general lack of understanding that comes with it, but I can't hell but think something significant is being missed out here with the information. Are all those deaths in Italy actually caused by the virus? Could we create a similar panic with the standard flu?

I'm curious to see how this thing all ends.

It shouldn't be. They have special methods to check for the virus. Hence why testing had stopped in the UK, because of the limited amount of resources to test everyone when 95% with symptoms just had a cold. Testing should be resuming now at a much higher rate according to Johnson.

I noticed the bit about you being afraid of dying. Have you seen the below by any chance?

I haven't, but thanks for this. I'll watch it when I get a breather.

So today, I started working from home and it was kinda boring and barely got anything donw. That said, remember the guy I mentioned with the 100 rolls of toilet paper? He said that if I told anybody else about it, he'd come to my house and break my legs. A few years ago he called me a paedo on Facebook (where I have workmates and bosses on there), because I used a Hatsune Miku background for my work desktop. Hard to think we've been friends for over a decade, but no more. I know why he bought so much as he's worried about his elderly mother, but what about those who also needed it? He's quite a selfish person at the best of times.

My brother has come home feeling sick, but thankfully the symptoms aren't coronavirus related. My uncle has been hospitalised with a panic attack. It's not been the best of days.

I think i'll stick on a musical or a concert to distract myself.

Stay safe everyone <3

My dad informed me earlier on today one of the pharmacies in town is selling 30ml bottles of hand sanitiser (the ones that barely qualify as "pocket-size" and generally cost about £1 a piece) for £8 each. Utter fucking scumbags. This shit really has brought out the worst in people.

I haven't, but thanks for this. I'll watch it when I get a breather.

So today, I started working from home and it was kinda boring and barely got anything donw. That said, remember the guy I mentioned with the 100 rolls of toilet paper? He said that if I told anybody else about it, he'd come to my house and break my legs. A few years ago he called me a paedo on Facebook (where I have workmates and bosses on there), because I used a Hatsune Miku background for my work desktop. Hard to think we've been friends for over a decade, but no more. I know why he bought so much as he's worried about his elderly mother, but what about those who also needed it? He's quite a selfish person at the best of times.

My brother has come home feeling sick, but thankfully the symptoms aren't coronavirus related. My uncle has been hospitalised with a panic attack. It's not been the best of days.

I think i'll stick on a musical or a concert to distract myself.

Stay safe everyone <3
I remember my first job where I was working from home. It negatively affected me so much that I sort professional help for depression. The reason was I was pretty much a one man team, boss and 99% of the staff was based up north and a lot of the time was spent setting a few things up then waiting a month to see if it paid off. We had a London office but very few people were there, all had their individual offices or desk and the only place I could work was in the basement which had no phone reception and was based in the mini kitchen that was awkward.

All of my jobs since have been working from home but with a local office or at least a lot more interaction with a team.

My dad informed me earlier on today one of the pharmacies in town is selling 30ml bottles of hand sanitiser (the ones that barely qualify as "pocket-size" and generally cost about £1 a piece) for £8 each. Utter fucking scumbags. This shit really has brought out the worst in people.
I'm known for always having hand gel to a point people will mock me for it. Coronavirus or not, I always had one in my bag, one in the car and two half liter bottles in the kitchen and bathroom. Haven't seen any since the world went crazy but still have just under a liter left. Either way, soap is all you really need, especially when you are at home.

Stocking up on hand gel when you're at home is pointless and expensive.

you should get your dad to buy one, get a receipt + store photo, then sell the story to the media. easy money + you shame the pharmacy.

Wow and I thought one of my local stores selling them for £3.99 was bad!

Speaking of stories like that, my dad went to town last Saturday and told me a store was selling single toilet rolls for £2.00 each!

Scumbag is the word!

My Japanese and Korean classes just got moved from Uni to Online Video Conferencing -- guess I now have a reason to invest in a Blue yeti microphone (I was already debating buying one for streaming purposes but this just sealed the deal for me as it looks like I'm gonna be doing a lot of classes online in the mean time)

There's been two cases of it that I know of at Sydney Uni...hence the move to shut down the place and move everything online.

Not to mention the store shelves are pretty much empty here in Aus as well. Well, it's effected the suburb that I live in to say the least. We're waiting for stock to replenish. Granted, I'm personally good. My shared house has at least a months worth of food stored at all times, so we're not too worried here. We have enough beer, water and food to tide us over for a month at least. But I do feel for those who are living week to week. I also feel for the elderly who are getting screwed pretty hard at this moment in time.

The moody teenage misanthrope in me almost wants to say "fuck humanity....we had a good run" while the optimist adult me is saying "it will pass over and we will soon get back to normal...it's all just hysteria that will pass over much like the Swine flu and what not." That's not to say we shouldn't take it seriously, but I really do think the media has made it ten times worse than it needed to be.

My mum is in full on panic mode as is at the moment -- I keep trying to tell her "stop looking at the media 24/7...you're only making it worse for yourself by looking at that shit all day. Just stay at home. Keep your hands clean. Stay safe and you'll be fine." but yeah, I really do believe the media made it ten times worse than it needed to be.

But I really don't know anymore. Weird timeline we are living in. I'm actually more worried about the looming global recession than I am the virus.To be honest.

Stay safe out there, Dojo...stay safe! here's hoping for the best. Because I'm really tired of the constant doom and gloom and I could take a good dose of optimism. Seriously, we went from the local media feeding us doom and gloom over the bushfires to doom and gloom over this. There's only so much doom and gloom I can take in four months. I need some measure of optimism.

Last edited:
Sky Sports News is what I usually have in the background when there is nothing to watch but I want the comfort of the TV being on (whatever that means). However, all they are talking about is the virus too. I read that we have around 17,000 people die a year in the UK because of the flu. Of course we don't want those numbers to double with a new strain but the whole campaign about washing hands and self isolation can be applied every year to the standard flu.

Now the government has restricted public transport in London.

Ventured to the supermarket this morning. Plenty of stock but it was so busy. Most of it will be gone come lunchtime.

I'd shut the supermarkets for a day and let them catch up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back