Discovering New Things? Small Details You've Noticed This Time Around?

I just realized that if you carry a save over from Shenmue 1, that it carries your slot tokens over too. So, if you go into a slot house in 2, the guy at the counter will give you any tokens you didn’t spend in Shenmue 1.

Those Slot Houses must be a chain that has a database of accounts world-wide 15 years before that kind of thing became normal for everything besides slot houses.
Well, Shenmue was ahead of its time.

Regarding the phone, I know that if you call information to try and get info about Warehouse Number 8. Is there any other times you can call information or the fire service, or police?

IIRC, if you try to call the police when Nozomi is kidnapped, Ryo says something along the lines of, "best to not get them involved."

I may be way off though.

IIRC, if you try to call the police when Nozomi is kidnapped, Ryo says something along the lines of, "best to not get them involved."

I may be way off though.
Does he not say that no matter what point in the game you call them? He says something like, "I don't want to get the police involved."

I just found out using your horn on the forklift makes other forklifts back away from you. Huh.

Haha yes! I was doing this on my recent playthrough, when you do this you can make the workers back up all the way to their original warehouse! :p

In Shenmue 2, I never knew that the docking area in the Harbour (The Area where you first get off the boat) Is inaccessible after you reach the Guest House Hotel. The fortune teller from that area does have her own shop still.

In Shenmue 2, I never knew that the docking area in the Harbour (The Area where you first get off the boat) Is inaccessible after you reach the Guest House Hotel. The fortune teller from that area does have her own shop still.

Despite Joy telling you this is the case? In fact, it literally closes the instant you trigger the cutscene where she tells you it's closed (before you reach the Come Over Guest House).

Despite Joy telling you this is the case? In fact, it literally closes the instant you trigger the cutscene where she tells you it's closed (before you reach the Come Over Guest House).
Haha nope. In my previous playthroughs I've never actually headed back to see the barricade - As I've said, I'm very unfamiliar with Shenmue II in comparison to the 1st game :p Taking my time with this playthrough... with the weight of Shenmue 3's incoming release over my head too :p

Currently on my final play through of I and II on my lead up to III. I have managed to get some new scenes I haven’t gotten before, simply by doing things differently, so far they are:

- When we get the Chinese letter translated, I go all the way back to the dojo to see a cut scene of Ryo showing Fuku-san the notebook about what it translates to. Then immediately going to the dojo to Fuku-san again he says he remembers Heaven, Dragon, Earth, Comrade was in the altar room, and it gave me a notebook entry, never got it before!
- After that I spoke to Yamagishi-san and he suggested I go back home to look in my phone book, so I did that for the first time ever rather than using the one at the tobacco shop, which was cool.
- Another random detail I’ve noticed which I can’t believe I haven’t before, is if the weather is nice certain people put their washing out to dry on the line in Yamanose, and I think at the Dojo too, but if it’s raining the lines are empty. Cool stuff.
- Finally so far, I’m asking as many different random people about story events as possible, and it still to this day amazes me how nearly every major character in the game in the shops etc has an answer for every question relating to the story. For example asking people all the way from Yamanose to Dobuita about where Amihama is, I found out that Itoi-san hasn’t been there in years, and that the guy from the jacket shop used to have a job there. So many different conversations were recorded for every person. It’s astonishing! Even asking people in Yamanose about warehouse number 8, most people wouldn’t do it but it’s all there waiting to be found out! I love this game.
- FINALLY, it’s currently Christmas Eve and I love all the decorations, the snow, and the slight change of music cause it’s Christmas. Great stuff.
- ALSO, I must admit I’ve never been one to focus so much on training in Shenmue. But I have tried it this time, and focused on levelling up Double Blow. And the animation has actually changed as I have levelled up on it, I had no idea it did it! He seems to step forward now I’ve mastered it a bit more, when he first learnt the move both feet went forward.

Last edited:
Yup, Double Blow is one of the moves you WANT to level up, as it is killer against mooks and crowd control (helps a lot in the 70 man battle).

I'm not the greatest at fighting in the series, so I have rarely used it against bosses (more of a watch and react and opportunist-approach, I take) and thus, I'm not sure how it is against Pedro, Chai, etc.

Yup, Double Blow is one of the moves you WANT to level up, as it is killer against mooks and crowd control (helps a lot in the 70 man battle).

I'm not the greatest at fighting in the series, so I have rarely used it against bosses (more of a watch and react and opportunist-approach, I take) and thus, I'm not sure how it is against Pedro, Chai, etc.
Double blow is indeed one of my favourites, along with brutal tiger, elbow and some throw moves.

Do all of the moves have an animation that changes as you level it up more like the Double Blow has done for me? Or just some?

No, not all, but a few. Cannot recall most names off top of mind, but at least one kick and (katana slash or twin blade??) hand move. Pit blow can have an extra elbow assault ending after a certain level trained.

Do all of the moves have an animation that changes as you level it up more like the Double Blow has done for me? Or just some?
Xat is right; not all, but most.

Off the top of my head:

- Double Blow
- The Jumping knee (->, ->, A/X), for the life of me, can't remember the name.
- Swallow Dive
- Brutal Tiger
- Pit Blow
- Mud Spider
- Crawl Cyclone
- Dark Moon
- Twin Blades
- Shadow Reaper

And there are definitely more, but nothing coming to my mind right now :(

I just discovered right now that after finding the mirror, you can talk to Yamagashi about it. He will be on a bench at Sakuragaoka Park for a limited time before 7pm maybe before you try to pick up the boat ticket at the Arcade. He pretty much tells you that there is something ominous about it along with it being tied to good and bad fortune. Makes it seem like this mirror is some kind of key to ultimate power for sure. A year or so ago, I even discovered that the Russiya China Shop has information on the legend of the Phoenix and how that ties to the mirror which was interesting.

Found out that the key to beating Chai at the Arcade is a matter of knowing how to parry and counter effectively. Once that happens, I can beat him anytime without retrying. You want to know when to do hand moves though to avoid that one counter he does. Still is a fight where you have to be alert though. He has that one unblockable jumping double kick which is annoying.

Last edited:
Your first paragraph, @That Guy., actually is in the Recap Movie for 1 on 2 (excerpts of it); same with Bunkado antiques. All of them have an excerpt in the recap movie and all of them have great dialogues, that help flesh out the lore and meaning behind the mirror.

Awesome stuff.

I have a question about your father's letter in the house. On my current playthrough, I cannot trigger the cutscene where Ryo reads it and says "My father must have known Lan Di was coming." Instead, the letter is just read in real time. Does this cutscene trigger only at certain points?

Back