Discovering New Things? Small Details You've Noticed This Time Around?

I have a question about your father's letter in the house. On my current playthrough, I cannot trigger the cutscene where Ryo reads it and says "My father must have known Lan Di was coming." Instead, the letter is just read in real time. Does this cutscene trigger only at certain points?
I think you only get the cutscene if you lock onto the letter on the first day, but @DigitalDuck can probably confirm :p

If you're someone who loves rare dialogue, if you can manage to do your play through so that you say goodbye to Tom on New Year's day, you'll get all of Ryo's school friends in one place outside the Yamanose shrine and they'll all have really interesting things to say. I might have mentioned this one before but I think it's really cool.

That's weird. I distinctly remember trying it on the first day, and it didn't work. Could be a weird re-release thing.

Anyone else notice how the FREE 2 music from Shenmue 1 sounds similar to South Carmain Qtr’s night theme?
I never noticed that, but during my last playthrough I thought that FREE 5 sounded a bit like the Wise Men's Qr. daytime theme.

If you're someone who loves rare dialogue, if you can manage to do your play through so that you say goodbye to Tom on New Year's day, you'll get all of Ryo's school friends in one place outside the Yamanose shrine and they'll all have really interesting things to say. I might have mentioned this one before but I think it's really cool.
Wow, I have to try this sometime! So, you need to take a bus back to Dobuita and run to Yamanose in between getting fired and meeting Tom? And it has to be on January 1?

Your first paragraph, @That Guy., actually is in the Recap Movie for 1 on 2 (excerpts of it); same with Bunkado antiques. All of them have an excerpt in the recap movie and all of them have great dialogues, that help flesh out the lore and meaning behind the mirror.

Awesome stuff.

I know it wasn't anything new. If anything it was new to me. That what I was trying to say. I never watched the recap videos since I figured it was for people who never played the game, so I would not have known it until last night. It was just nice to learn more about the mirrors especially before III comes out.

Last edited:

Can I watch this somewhere?

I never noticed that, but during my last playthrough I thought that FREE 5 sounded a bit like the Wise Men's Qr. daytime theme.

Wow, I have to try this sometime! So, you need to take a bus back to Dobuita and run to Yamanose in between getting fired and meeting Tom? And it has to be on January 1?
Yup!

Question for @DigitalDuck or others in the know. I’m goofing around in Shenmue 1, at part when I’m returning back to tattoo parlour and on way there, I had a conversation with Ine I don’t recall hearing before. She makes reference that Nakua (sp) my karate teacher has said I hadn’t been coming for practice and my teachers are worried. Is there any other references to his karate teacher and wouldn’t Ryo be instructed and taught by his Dad?

Question for @DigitalDuck or others in the know. I’m goofing around in Shenmue 1, at part when I’m returning back to tattoo parlour and on way there, I had a conversation with Ine I don’t recall hearing before. She makes reference that Nakua (sp) my karate teacher has said I hadn’t been coming for practice and my teachers are worried. Is there any other references to his karate teacher and wouldn’t Ryo be instructed and taught by his Dad?

I think that's the only time she mentions the karate teacher. Iwao teaches Hazuki-style jujutsu, it's entirely feasible that he would be learning other martial arts from other teachers instead.

As I’m patiently trying to pass time, thought might be fun to revisit old promotional material/trailers. I adore watching the What’s Shenmue video-
So much amazing beta content, redesigned or altered settings and interesting to note different character configurations and certain shops or locations.

It also puts into context what an amazing undertaking the original games development was, creating all these elements from scratch in detail and scale that had never been seen before. If you haven’t seen it, I encourage you to take a trip down memory lane.

As I’m patiently trying to pass time, thought might be fun to revisit old promotional material/trailers. I adore watching the What’s Shenmue video-
So much amazing beta content, redesigned or altered settings and interesting to note different character configurations and certain shops or locations.

It also puts into context what an amazing undertaking the original games development was, creating all these elements from scratch in detail and scale that had never been seen before. If you haven’t seen it, I encourage you to take a trip down memory lane.

After Yu said there's a bunch of secrets in the first two games that have gone undiscovered, I thought this could have been a potential lead to a secret.

1573231800562.png

For everyone who is curious, the number is 0468(61)5621...It was cut from the final version of the game but I did give it a call, anyway. No dice, it just said the number no longer exists. If anyone can read the writing above the number and tell us who the number belongs to, that would be cool.

Wait, I just remembered that some of the numbers in the HD remake were changed slightly because people in real life had the same house phone numbers. Maybe there's still hope for people who try this on the Dreamcast...Somebody test it! I don't have mine at the moment...

This time before having lunch with Tom, I ran all the way back to the Hazuki Dojo and spoke with Ine-San. It was a nice scene where Ryo is finally honest with her about his pursuit of Lan Di. Is there unique dialogue with Fukusan? I found him in the Dojo but after sparring didn’t have any further time.

I feel like there’s a @BlueMue video here. If he can capture all in the unique dialogue and conversations Ryo can have before meeting Tom.

Back