Fishing Thread - Locations, Records & Tips

I did some fishing in Bailu and I caught a huge one. I didn't pay much mind to it at the time but the fishing shop owner said something along the lines of 'That might be the king!'

While grinding in Bailu at the pond I got this haul. Never really got serious with fishing in Niaowu, reeling in takes too long there.

oaZ30oN.jpg

I wish I recorded this but honestly I caught a fish that weighed approx 10,500 called snakehead. I caught it in the pond behind the save Shenmue arcade... Not sure how are that is... Gave me a shock when it popped up
Id be interested to know if anyone else caught a big snakehead... In the challenges in bailiu I couldn't get past the third green catfish...

I've caught two large snakeheads (not in the same haul) and both were behind the Save Shenmue temple.

I guess the limit is when you don't see the fish any more.
View attachment 6121

Did you cast your line into the left side or the right side? How many runs did it take to catch your first? I tend to catch nothing on the right side of this fishing spot. EDIT: NVM this is a Snake-head... when I saw Serpent I was like WTF, but then I realized you are playing from a different region. :D

Community fishing records have been updated!

Last edited:
I wonder how the payout is really calculated. I'm not even close to the top when it comes to weight in the Bailu pond but still somehow got more money for the catch there than anyone else here. Bit extreme to get 21,8 Yuan/kg while Niaxi's record is only like 18,2 Yuan/kg.

Guess it's also down to how many fish you got and maybe even what kind of fish.

My current hypothesis is, of course, that not all fish have the same value, but what is curious is the constancy of the total rates; as if the game decided in advance what species you’ll catch.
It would be simple to catch one fish of each species and see the price – I’ll try it maybe later.

Yes it was the small pond on both occasions; still no trophy 😡. In any other game I'd expect this to be a simple weight = yuan thing. However, this is Yu-san that we're dealing with. I would say with almost certainty that the weight of each individual fish or the type of fish, or both, effects how much Yuan you get. We can probably, like kinopio suggests, catch one fish of each type and see roughly how much it is worth. However, we'll need to do this a few times to see how individual weight affects things. Needless to say, this is going to be a lot harder to figure out than the wood chopping formula.

That's the snakehead I was talking about! :) Your one was bigger! I was a bit disappointed by how much Dolla I got for it tho...
Of course mine is bigger! I knew you had caught one around 10.500 kg (I was still in Bailu at this time), and since my first one above 10 kg was only around 10.100 kg, I had to do better, ha-ha.

Back