General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Shinkichi-san from the seafood shop just told Ryo to go home early and give Ine-san a back rub once in awhile xD

If I ever heard that line before, I've certainly forgotten it.

I'm actually at a great point for in-game NPC conversation - I have the note to meet Charlie at the arcade tomorrow, so Ryo has no specific question to ask. Most of the conversation I'm getting right now is about how worried Ine-san is about me. Yamagishi-san just told Ryo he gave Ine-san a piece of his mind and may have upset her when telling her Ryo is an adult now.

I love how rich these meaningless (to the game's progress) conversations are. And even when you exhaust the dialogue and the NPC is basically repeating him or herself, there are still a couple different ways they actually word their response.

Last edited:
I'm just now realizing that all QTEs are left in 16:9. I fail to understand why these follow separate rules from the conventional cutscenes. Through development this exact scene was used as evidence why cutscenes had to be 4:3

And yet here I am encountering the kid freezing on the side of the screen anyway. Anyone else notice this?
Yeah I noticed this as well on the ps4. He legs it and then you see his leg in the left of the screen stationary for a couple of seconds before the camera changes.

So, I was just in Yamaji Soba Noodles and the owner/cook turned his back away from the bar and started smoking. Did he smoke indoors in the original version?

Yes, the behaviour is unchanged from the original game. He leans into the back room to smoke when the shop's not busy.

Yea I felt so bad watching my friend play it on Xbox, and the tree flashback with Iwao was messed up so I had to show him it on YouTube. Then, the flashback scene in the Dojo was the same too.

Haha yea I had to go to YouTube too to watch the Iwao scenes in Japanese since that's what I set my game to.

Yea I felt so bad watching my friend play it on Xbox, and the tree flashback with Iwao was messed up so I had to show him it on YouTube. Then, the flashback scene in the Dojo was the same too.

I think playing in 4:3 avoids the cutscene issues unless someone else knows otherwise?

Yes, the behaviour is unchanged from the original game. He leans into the back room to smoke when the shop's not busy.

Awesome attention to detail I never noticed before. Thought it may have been a weird behavioral bug.

First time playing the Japanese version of Shenmue 1 and I must say, my opinions on certain characters have changed as a result! Eri is straight up mean and obnoxious in the dub but she comes across as merely a concerned friend in the JP version.

Yeah some of the characters sound so different in the Japanese audio versus the English dub and as a result some of them are more likable.

I received the game yesterday (Thursday) and won a Dural Gold for the first time. First I bought chips in the Abe Store and won some capsule toy. After that I bought chocolate and won the that Dural Gold. Luckily I didn't encounter any major bugs yet like those cutscene issues.

I've played through the first Shenmue 3 or 4 times now and just now figured out that if you press up on the D pad to honk your horn while driving a forklift, the other drivers move backwards to get out of your way lol. Makes it a little less frustrating when there's a traffic jam at the harbor!

Shinkichi-san from the seafood shop just told Ryo to go home early and give Ine-san a back rub once in awhile xD

If I ever heard that line before, I've certainly forgotten it.

I'm actually at a great point for in-game NPC conversation - I have the note to meet Charlie at the arcade tomorrow, so Ryo has no specific question to ask. Most of the conversation I'm getting right now is about how worried Ine-san is about me. Yamagishi-san just told Ryo he gave Ine-san a piece of his mind and may have upset her when telling her Ryo is an adult now.

I love how rich these meaningless (to the game's progress) conversations are. And even when you exhaust the dialogue and the NPC is basically repeating him or herself, there are still a couple different ways they actually word their response.

I just ran into this fun bit of dialogue that I'd never heard from Yamagishi, giving Ryo an English lesson.

Is anyone else having issues with the circle and X buttons being inverted during QTEs?

It might be because I'm using a Japanese PS4, but normally, the reversed button configuration only applies when navigating the OS. With the exception of Shenmue, my European games are unaffected.

Do Japanese consoles sometimes convert non-Japanese software to the Japanese control scheme? I wouldn't be too bothered by this if not for the fact that the QTE prompts don't correspond with what's displayed on the screen.

Am I blind or is there no option to turn off fast travel in Shenmue 2? I swear there was a way on Dreamcast.

Encountered my first real bugs in the game today on PS4 Pro. Cutscenes glitched out upon exiting the Hazuki basement, followed by numerous audio glitches in Dobuita, Amihama and the Dojo.

Really glad those patches are being worked on to be released ASAP. A lot of companies could have just chucked the game out there with an "Oh well, at least you have it now" mentality at $30, but you can tell they really want to make it the definitive versions.

Am I blind or is there no option to turn off fast travel in Shenmue 2? I swear there was a way on Dreamcast.
There isn't as far as I remember (not got to S2 yet but I'm sure there wasn't on DC) - it just gives you the option to fast travel in certain situations, but you can always choose not to.

So...yeah! I got the game on Wednesday (a day late from Amazon, despite me pre-ordering it the first day I got paid after the announcement in April) and having a great time revisiting S1 so far. Unfortuantely I did run into the cutscene issues some people have mentioned - during the Fuku-san sparring/Ine-san letter cutscenes the camera was focused on the ground outside the Dojo/on Ryo's Sega Saturn, respectively (I had played Space Harrier on it the night before, which I suspect has something to do with this glitch), this is a pretty major thing that needs to be patched out as priority really, I get that we live in an age of Day 1 patches/'oh we can fix any glitches later', but it does slightly irk me that something like this crept into a final release...

The new UI/menus are also great in many ways, but do come off as a bit lazy/cheap looking in others. Again, there are issues with this too as after using the cassette player, the icons for this remained on screen (battery gauge and all) and just wouldn't go away- even during the 'Nozomi's confession' cutscene in the park, which ruins the mood a bit :p

Not to sound like I'm shitting on the game mind - I appreciate that the budget was likely only so much, and d3t have done a great job - I just hope things like this, and other things like sound effects not always playing/FREE music being too quiet etc are addressed and fixed. Otherwise, it's great to play the game in widescreen and with quicker loading times (it is weird not hearing the Dreamcast whir and make a racket all the time though!)

Random changes/cool things I've noticed so far:
- The Super Ball capsule toys are now just 'Balls' - are these copyrighted now or something...?
- You automatically get the Passport animal toys in your inventory at the beginning! A nice touch, as I wondered how they'd handle this
- Some of the cassette tape covers have been re-drawn completely
- The poster that had the Mary and baby statue on it now just has a violin. Makes sense, considering what it is advertising: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/05/mystery-posters-on-dobuita-street.html
-Each phone number has had the last number taken off it - apparently this is because they are actually real phone numbers, and people in Japan kept getting called repeatedly after the release of the first game back in the day? Obviously this affects the cutscenes when Master Chen's number is spoken out loud - the '7' is literally edited out.

I've only just reached 'Disc 2', so kinda taking my time right now. Does anyone else agree S1 is kinda really stingy with money at the beginning? (and obviously no way to make any until 'Disc 3') - this might have been something to adjust for a re-release, as during the periods of waiting around you can't always just spend loads on capsule toys/arcade games or whatever. But then I do always go and buy every cassette tape :p

Back