General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

I didn’t mind the transitions from 16:9 to 4:3 in the first game (hardly noticed to be honest), but the letterboxing in 2 is kind of disappointing. Especially after I pushed the zoom button on my TV during the first cutscene of S2 and saw how it could look!

Oh well. Still better than the TV I would have been playing on back when it first came out!

I didn’t mind the transitions from 16:9 to 4:3 in the first game (hardly noticed to be honest), but the letterboxing in 2 is kind of disappointing. Especially after I pushed the zoom button on my TV during the first cutscene of S2 and saw how it could look!

Oh well. Still better than the TV I would have been playing on back when it first came out!
Yea the letter boxing and side cropping in 2 is a real shame

So, for fun I used the phone to call the police. We all know Ryo promptly hangs up and says he doesn’t want the police involved. But, I just got an achievement called “Appropriate Response”. That is absolutely hilarious.

I still playing Shenmue I and i let me time. Don't rush through the games, just enjoying. It's so fantastic to playing the games on PC a very big dream came true. The only one bug i had was the music in the warehouse 8. I don't found another bigger issues. It makes so much fun to play the games a secend time after i finished Shenmue II in 2002.

Darts feels way off to me in shenmue 2

Like, the dart feels like it lands 6 inches away from where I tossed it

Anyone else struggling with QTE’s? I feel like it’s reqlly sluggish and I’ll fail even when I press the button on time

Anyone else struggling with QTE’s? I feel like it’s reqlly sluggish and I’ll fail even when I press the button on time
I find the lack of flashing prompts in Shenmue 1 puts me off, like I just don't notice what to press sicne it blends in. I'm still alright at QTE title that has the flashes.

@Tosh: What platform do you play on? It's PS4 by the look of the trophies, right? Did you run into any trouble saving your cleared state of S1 after the credits?

@Tosh: What platform do you play on? It's PS4 by the look of the trophies, right? Did you run into any trouble saving your cleared state of S1 after the credits?

i'm playing on a PS4 (Pro). everything worked fine besides the known ingame bugs and glitches.
i missed the trophy for the flashback scene in the dojo where Ryo and his father are talking about friends
because i waited too long and then i couldnt interact with the sign anymore. so i had to start a new game
after the ending to get it but it was done in like 3 minutes.

saving the progress after the ending was no problem. i never had any problems with saving or loading in Shenmue 1.
i know there are some people here on this board who have problems with locked trophies
but i had no problems. i just played the story day after day and it worked.

i missed the trophy for the flashback scene in the dojo where Ryo and his father are talking about friends
because i waited too long and then i couldnt interact with the sign anymore. so i had to start a new game
after the ending to get it but it was done in like 3 minutes.

I did exactly the same thing! Completely forgot about that flashback until it was too late.

Spent too long at the start getting all of the flashbacks so that I was too late to help the old lady find the house so thats something I will have to do on the next playthrough. I do love achievements and raising my gamerscore but the quicker I can fully complete these so I can play them just for fun the better.

I did exactly the same thing! Completely forgot about that flashback until it was too late.
I'll have to do the same, totally forgot about that one :oops:
It's a shame there aren't more optional side-quest type achievements/trophies, seems most of them are basic story ones that it'd be impossible not to get. I've not really looked at S2's but I assume that's much the same?

I really hope that all the major bugs (especially the contrast one) gets fixed for the console versions, and I expect pretty much everything to be sorted out by next year as that is around the time I'll get a PS4 anyway. I tried playing the PC version, but it runs at a slower choppy framerate, and the whole game just felt awkward along with my PC controller feeling stiff. I decided to play it on my Dreamcast again through Demul and the game just felt much better and smoother oddly since Demul is not fast either because Demul has slowdown in windowed mode, but fullscreen it is much better since the vsync in the emulator is just strange like that. I could have easily played it on my real dreamcast, but my dreamcast is not hooked up right now. I'll have to wait until next year to play the HD version on a console. I guess my PC is that dated. I would think that an i3 4370 and a GT 750 Ti would be enough for an old game, but nope, even with lower settings. I don't know if downloading that beta patch had anything to do with it though..

Is it just me or is Shenmue 2's english dub higher quality than on Xbox? Not crystal clear by any means but the compression is a lot less harsh than I remember.

Back