General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Have you tried it on Reicast?

Never did since the last time I used it, it was very underdeveloped. DEMUL runs fine outside of the bizzare Vsync that it has, but Redream is what I have my eye on right now for general usage in the future. Yeah I know that Reicast had a boost in improvement lately, for now, but, yeah, maybe I should check it out though my computer never plays nice with retroarch when it comes to 3D game consoles for some reason. What really bothered me is how Demul changed the way it handle disc swapping sometime during the last few updates which means I can no longer use gameshark with it, and yes, it used to work, but that is off topic. I would love to switch, but it doesn't seem to be time just yet. I mean I can try again, but not now. It is already enough that Retroarch is pain in the ass to setup for this. I have to figure out where all the bios and everything goes..

Last edited:
Just finished Shenmue 2 for the first time in ~15 years. I forgot quite how amazing the second game is - enjoyed it just as much as I did when it first came out.

Also, Guilin looks incredible in the rerelease (despite the relatively primitive graphics by modern standards)

Just finished S1 on PS4 this evening. Lots of little audio bugs throughout - in fact Ryo walked silently out from the Hazuki Residence to the harbour. Lots of frame rate issues when running the forklifts in first person view. But nothing game breaking - I got locked in first person view after a cutscene with Mark. The only thing that came close was with the bloom on it was far far far too dark to do the stealth section.

The audio is the main issue with Shenmue 1 - it was a big part of the original experience. But the quality is pretty poor (the way it is unfortunately) and lots of the effects and background music have issues.

But really enjoyed playing it again - still feel that disc 1 is pretty amazing intro and disc 3 is still awesome. The second disc feels like there is a lot of filler - the enforced waits back to back just seem very lazy by today’s standards. Like why do I have to wait 12 hours to come back to your tattoo shop?

I don’t mind them and at the time it was such an amazing concept of having a world with a real clock but it goes out of its way to show you that its the case.

Also I’ve probably completed S1 about 10+ times over the years. All I can think about was my play through before S2 came out and I did a save with loads of money and trained up moves. Wasted next to no money in the arcades and on toys - then Wong stole it!!!

Is it just me or is Shenmue 2's english dub higher quality than on Xbox? Not crystal clear by any means but the compression is a lot less harsh than I remember.
Same here - it’s very noticeable when you run from S1 into S2. But I think it may be because this version is using the Dolby Audio track and then down mixing to Stereo if required which possibly wasn’t the case with the Xbox version

I’ve been replaying Shenmue 1 for the first time since 2000 (I was 14) and gotta admit it’s much better than i remembered.

In these years i always had the opinion that it is too slow, but replaying it as an adult I realize the downtimes aren’t that harsh, and the care that went into world building is crazy. If you explore the world while you wait for the next story event you’ll always find new lines of dialogue from npcs and random cutscenes.

Yesterday while waiting for the next day (Charlie event) i learned that the guy selling jackets broke up with his gf, and when I went back home in the evening Ine San told me that Nozomi brought some flowers for the altar room, and I got a cutscene when I went to check.

I mean like wtf, stuff like this really makes you feel that the world is real and alive, and the game came out in fucking 2000! Other games these days don’t even come close to this, and their world building is all about graphics and 100s of npcs that speak the same line of dialogue from start to finish.

TLDR: Shenmue 1 is an amazing game and not that slow

Probably not a spoiler nowadays, but I saw the Nozomi flowers scene for the first time in this rerelease - and was surprised to see it mentioned during a conversation with Shenhua at the end of S2. I don’t recall this before, and presumably it doesn’t happen if you don’t trigger that scene, but it’s nice to see the attention to detail.

View attachment 891Looks like there were plans to have a gamma calibration screen but it was removed for whatever reason. Extracted it from the internal files.
wow, hopefully that's put back on.

I just finished Shenmue 2. I was pretty happy with how glitch free my Guilin experience was (PS4), considering it's my favorite part of S2.

I think I'm gonna wait for the patches to be out, then replay in Japanese, since I never played S1 in Japanese before.

Probably not a spoiler nowadays, but I saw the Nozomi flowers scene for the first time in this rerelease - and was surprised to see it mentioned during a conversation with Shenhua at the end of S2. I don’t recall this before, and presumably it doesn’t happen if you don’t trigger that scene, but it’s nice to see the attention to detail.
If you chat to Fuku-san before the event he will say Nozomi dropped off flowers too! Also the photo you get of Nozomi can be commented on by Shenhua too all adding to the nice layer of world building and detail of Ryo's journey.

Reactions: arh
I play it on PC without a gamepad, using the Keyboard and mouse. I can recommend to buy a XBox One Gamepad. I will do that in the next time of replaying before Shenmue 3 is out. Before S1 and S2 rereleased i had the fear that the games couldn't amaze me like in 2000 and 2001. It is good to know that it isn't.

So something weird is goin on with this line with Japanese VO on the re-releases. (timecoded)
They crudely dubbed in a word to replace something when the barkeeper is talking about Charlie's hawg. You can notice he says ''american bike'' in Engrish and sounds really out of place and obviously by another actor. It wasn't there before.
Here is the original. (timecoded)
This is something that Switch could take a look at. Quit bizarre but it showcases that this alongside the texture changes proves that d3t did a lot of more under the hood subtle work on these games.

So something weird is goin on with this line with Japanese VO on the re-releases.
They crudely dubbed in a word to replace something when the barkeeper is talking about Charlie's hawg. You can notice he says ''american bike'' in Engrish and sounds really out of place and obviously by another actor. It wasn't there before.
Here is the original.

They replaced the word 'Harley' with 'american bike' I'll assume for trademark or brand reasons, nice spot though!
They certainly did redub his 愛車!

Jesus.
I can see the reasoning behind the “hawg” subtitle…. but redubbing the entire spoken line?! Seems a tad excessive.
Is Harley Davidson Japan known to be litigious or what?

It's unfortunate that they didn't just keep this change for the upcoming JPN release. With all that extra time, they probably could've avoided sounding like Mr Black:

Thankfully, the awesome Shenmue Dojo modding community will probably come to the rescue and splice the original audio file back in.

I honestly can’t hear the problem - yes, it’s been redubbed and won’t match exactly, but it doesn’t really stick out to me (listening on phone speakers though, and don’t speak Japanese).

I had a disastrous experience last night. Every cutscene involving the Phoenix Mirror, including Chai in the warehouse, was black. I am pretty disgusted with this right now and had to shut off the game. It completely ruined the experience for me. I hope this doesn’t happen again... So much for that big patch.

Last edited:
I had a disastrous experience last night. Every cutscene involving the Phoenix Mirror, including Chai in the warehouse, was black. I am pretty disgusted with this right now and had to shut off the game. It completely ruined the experience for me. I hope this doesn’t happen again... So much for that big patch.

I too got glitched cutscenes from finding the mirror. One straight after, one each at the antique shops. I saved, rebooted and had no further bugs.

I found it a little frustrating, but mostly I felt disheartened for those first time players experiencing the bugs, as I already know the cut scenes well. But for a first timer it's even worse I guess.

I unfortunately didn’t save because i don’t want my play-through experience to be a black screen with text, so I’ll have to replay tonight and see. Sounds like it’s occurring around the same place for a lot of people. Anyway, hopefully that fixes it for now. Still completely unacceptable state to release a game.

I unfortunately didn’t save because i don’t want my play-through experience to be a black screen with text, so I’ll have to replay tonight and see. Sounds like it’s occurring around the same place for a lot of people. Anyway, hopefully that fixes it for now. Still completely unacceptable state to release a game.
Yeah I too was hesitant at first incase the save was somehow corrupted, but all was well afterwards. I thought I was very lucky to not have earlier scenes bugged, the flashbacks with Iwao etc. I agree, the amount of bugs is unacceptable, even though most aren't game breaking, the amount of them and nature of them can absolutely spoil for both veterans and newcomers alike. It really seems as though they rushed it to get into the release window and avoid other big titles, pre orders were obviously very very good, so they had already made a profit one would imagine. Disappointing certainly. I have enjoyed my playthrough certainly, and as much as I do appreciate getting to play this, a little more time and care would have gone so far.

I played through S1 pretty extensively this past weekend. I finally ran into a few cutscene bugs (the events right before finding the Phoenix Mirror). Like, three-four cutscenes glitched in a row. It’s...really unfortunate.

I played through S1 pretty extensively this past weekend. I finally ran into a few cutscene bugs (the events right before finding the Phoenix Mirror). Like, three-four cutscenes glitched in a row. It’s...really unfortunate.
Ugh. Did it start with Ryo's sleep sequence looking all messed up? That's when I noticed things going wrong for my game. Hopefully restarting it will cure it. Sounds like that does work for some people. I was really pleasantly surprised by my luck with not running into bugs, and now I'm really depressed.

Back