General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

It's good that they're aiming for a bug-free version for Japan. But I don't think that people should hate on Sega Europe's efforts. As far as I know, it is only because of Sega Europe that this re-release even exists. Sega Japan had no intention of initiating this project, or ever uttering the word Shenmue again. Now that Sega Europe got them to the 20 yard line, Sega of Japan is going to score the touchdown.

I hope this potential bug free Japanese November release gets brought over here in the west via patching and they dont forget about us.

It's good that they're aiming for a bug-free version for Japan. But I don't think that people should hate on Sega Europe's efforts. As far as I know, it is only because of Sega Europe that this re-release even exists. Sega Japan had no intention of initiating this project, or ever uttering the word Shenmue again. Now that Sega Europe got them to the 20 yard line, Sega of Japan is going to score the touchdown.
Agreed they got the project off the ground but it was rushed out in a state it shouldn't have been. I understand why they did it and I don't think it's affected sales too much but I'd have happily waited a couple of extra months for a perfect version.

We should get all the updates via patches and if not then we ask!

I hope this potential bug free Japanese November release gets brought over here in the west via patching and they dont forget about us.
Of course we will get the patches to mirror the quality of the Japanese version.
It's just sad that the west physical is a waste, should have kept it digital and done a special physical when it was ready, if they really felt the need to rush it out. Pointless to send a game to print that still needs so much Q.C.

Don't forget SEGAJP gave the go ahead to Yu for Shenmue 3 which lead to the revitalization of the series from its long hitaus.

Just as I thought, TGS reactions might have got the ball rolling in a positive direction. They need a proper sound engineer as a top priority I would say, I think the community and fans at large can put some of the anxiety at ease, but the past month has been a dark one for shenmue fans.

What's with the lack of trophies?

I've just grinded out a duck win race which took me a few hours, and yet another Trophy opportunity missed.

Bugs aside, they've done an extremely lazy job not to throw in a handful of trophies for some of the extras this game has to offer. Huge opportunity missed.

The PC version for me has no letterboxed or black bars cutscenes interesting enough. Everything is fullscreen I notice that when I change the aspect to 4:3, it only makes the world feel more boxed in if that makes any sense. I only notice 4:3 being letterboxed at higher resolutions. I play most of my games at 1024x768 if that makes any difference.

This is not like the 16:9 hacks or mods out there, but it is as if you are playing this on a emulator. I think it is in 4:3 in a way that old games display 4:3 with 1024x768 or something. I maybe don't know what I'm talking about.

The song that plays when you're playing Barry Jones at darts has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard, Jesus.

CQK0Exm.png

This guy constantly breaks my immersion in Shenmue II.

He's in the opening cinematic, can be found wandering each and every quarter of Wan Chai and is the only other passenger on the bus to Kowloon where he can once again be found regularly.

Same with the street fights. Always the same guy with a white or baby blue sleeveless shirt and a bicep tattoo; the CPU fighting in the common arenas prior to challenging them, plus the CPU fighting/cutscenes of the 3 mini bosses--even Baihu. Pretty sure i also did notice, at most, a few recycled NPCs who follow Ryo to Kowloon, too, aside from toy capsule guy. Not until this year, though, so it speaks to how well even the less intricate NPCs were ahead of time haha.

Yokosuka daily life routines just don't fit into Hong Kong, anyway, regardless of being a foreigner. Simply too big; the hustle bustle lends itself moreso realistic to reality, as well. Besides, the more detailed immersion of the first game breaks when you see Megumi walking to bus for school, then appearing at the shrine on her kitten duty moments later.

Last edited:
CQK0Exm.png

He's in the opening cinematic, can be found wandering each and every quarter of Wan Chai and is the only other passenger on the bus to Kowloon where he can once again be found regularly.

Clearly he is one of the leaders of the Chi You Men and is following Ryo.

Also I don't understand the argument that character schedules wouldn't be realistic in Hong Kong. Yes, seeing the same people in the same place every day is (somewhat) unrealistic in a big city. However, if the characters had monthly schedules rather than daily ones...

CQK0Exm.png
Maybe the character acts as a movie homage. The possibilities being...
- A figment of Ryo's imagination
- A ghost that doesn't realize he's dead
- A creepy female dwarf in disguise

Just be glad you haven't started seeing him wandering around your town in real life!

This is great material for one of those trash-tier creepypastas!

creepy pasta, yes. Also, I stand corrected on my ramble; the cutscene is same poor soul from every other street fight, but the CPU battle while descending the stairs to meet Baihu is actually a Poison brother...!

Don't necessarily think intricate daily routines in Hong Kong wouldn't be realistic, but it is somewhat superfluous when most of the city is vertical, rather than the much less, much smaller buildings/residences dispersed throughout small town Japan. Love room raiding in Kowloon, but very few are actually answered by a random NPC. Funny enough, they're actually animated and modeled unlike the disembodied voices in Yokosuka--talk about creepy pasta potential...!

I have never noticed that guy before.

Random Languishan NPC passerby is the homeless guy in front of Great View building. Damnit, now I'm looking too much for recycles haha.

Pretty sure a guy on boat to Guilin was walking around and dining in Wan Chai. One fo gthe dockside merchants has a twin on the other end of the very same area, speaking to another NPC, each having near identical responses for directions... homeless guy also has mostly same dialogue as another random NPC walking away from Bailu Village.

Just as I thought, TGS reactions might have got the ball rolling in a positive direction. They need a proper sound engineer as a top priority I would say, I think the community and fans at large can put some of the anxiety at ease, but the past month has been a dark one for shenmue fans.

Too bad I'm not seeing any light at the end of this particular tunnel. I would NOT have bought the collection if I knew it was this buggy.

Back