IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

"...and most of the game’s music is reused from the original games, be it with many pieces that were never used in the originals."

This is the only thing which really made me a bit alarmed, If they use planned music that wasn't used that could be fun, but I don't want the same recordings that were used in S1 & S2's OST to be pasted into the game - I'd be happily with newer recordings of course!
but there are some really under utilized music form past Shenmue games like:

etc...
on top of those you have the thematically timeless music like the main themes, fight themes, Iwao's flashbacks...etc
in fact reused music is a must as well as new music.

Last edited:
What is tuning, debugging and upgrade means?

Tuning = tweaking various things like balance of fighting damage give or taken per hit, animation, fairness of mini games, ie how fast or slow turtles and frogs go, the rng of lucky hit, tweaking shaders if something doesnt look right in certain lighting conditions, etc.

Debugging = making sure the game has the least amount of bugs possible. Fixing broken system, etc.

Upgrading = Shenmue 3 uses Unreal Engine 4, which has had several upgrades since they started developing the game. So they may need to upgrade the engine to improve the performance of the game. An example of this is Square Enix used unreal engine 4 to create Dragon Quest Xi, when they released it in the west for PS4, they used an upgraded version of Unreal Engine 4, which allowed more stable framerates, higher resolutions and new features that were not in the Japanese version. For the Switch port they are using yet another upgraded version of Unreal Engine 4, which allows it to run stable on the Switch, and have more new features as well.

What is tuning, debugging and upgrade means?

they added all the content they wanted into the main game from the beginning to the end.
but there are still things like script problems, game crashes, graphical glitches, wrong animations, performance issues,
fights are not working, and stuff like this. they still have to make it a smooth experience for the player.

Last edited:
Genuinely couldn't care less about the omission of throw moves.

Anyone else?

I do not care about the moves because I did not use them that often in the first 2 games. Were more the kicking and puniching guy. But it is big drawback for the people who liked the throws.

But not utilizing throws could make sense in the lore. Ryo is forcing more on Chinese Martial Arts where throws are not much used. In order to defeat Lan Di he was to find now ways.

Throws might not be the answer. Throws are part of his family style, his heritage but in order to face Lan Di he has to move on. His family style is no match for Lan di. Even the creator of this style Iwao Hazuki was no match for Lan Di. So it is just natural for Ryo to evolve.

i will recite this gain omitting throw moves is really a bummer. it's mind boggling to me.
throw moves are essential part of martial arts, i wouldn't accept it in any martial arts game let alone Shenmue!
how about counter attacks then?

i wish there is some misunderstanding here.

“I also wanted to implement a snail race, but sadly we weren’t able to do that this time,” Suzuki said with a straight face.

I didn’t understand what could be so special about a snail race. Why would anyone want to watch races featuring a creature even slower than a turtle?

“Snails are very slow, you know” said Suzuki. “I thought it would be interesting to combine this with Shenmue’s flow of time. Ryo would have to place his bets in the morning, but has to come back later in the afternoon to check the results.”

Why the hell didn't that become a thing? That could have been potentially awesome...come back and check every day on the progress of your snail and how it fares day by day...that could have been really awesome.

God damn, I love this man :) Way to think outside the box. I totally would have been down for checking on that day by day.

The lack of throw moves does slightly disappoint me but is expected considering it's a brand new fighting engine and all.
What gets me the most is that there is still conflicting information. The VG 24/7 article said it's business as normal regarding talking to NPC's and getting bread crumbs for progression, yet this article says talking to randoms has been stripped. Edge said all the moves from Shenmue 1 and 2 are in yet here we have Yu saying "non of the original assets are used and we have no throw moves as everything has been rebuilt"...so how could we possibly have every move from the previous game like Edge stated?

The conflicting information is just a bit weird to me.

But still, I like what I've read so far and I continue to wait until August 27th.

The VG 24/7 article said it's business as normal regarding talking to NPC's and getting bread crumbs for progression, yet this article says talking to randoms has been stripped.
Taking into account what this article actually says*, these two aren't in contradiction.

The game is still fully voiced and Ryo has many characters to talk to, but he can no longer interact with every single NPC he encounters in Bailu and Niaowu, the two countryside Chinese villages his adventure will start with in Shenmue III.

Not being able to talk to everybody, doesn't mean the standard of talking to NPCs for quest progression is gone.

I'm disappointed about the throw moves but I'll try my best to reserve judgement until I play the game with my own hands. Throws made the combat system extremely deep, since you could extend moves from throws. There were some moves that were classed as throws but didn't look like they were throws, like machine gun fist. I wonder if moves like this could be saved? These types of moves could just be re-branded as hand moves.

Also, the part about setting your moves to a single button sounds similar to what we had in Shenmue 1, where you could set a specific move to a trigger. This time it sounds like they're giving you the option to toggle between five different moves mid-fight with one button, using another button to execute the move you've toggled too. If it's the way I imagined, it sounds fine. I thought it was a nice feature to be able to set a difficult move to RT in the past.

I am thinking that maybe throws are apart of combos now or there has been some workaround. It would be odd to still have Ryo saying he is all about Jujitsu but does no throws which is the main theme of that style. I'm not too bothered by it but will miss the Demon Drop, Back Twist Drop and Darkside Hazuki though.

Okaaaay. Fine, no throws in S3. But next installment when SIV returns it better make it back in there Yu. This news is disappointing enuf to make Iwao turn in his grave. :crying:

Since this installment is not a AAA-Production package I'll forgive it.

When all the games continuity are finish, SEGA hopefully retcon throws back into the S3 Remake proper.☕

Whats up, friendmues?

Will not you have even throw moves? Could it be that they do not have shortcut button maybe? It's a little disappointing but who knows becomes on a future DLC. I will buy everything that is available from Shenmue and none of this makes my hype down.

Whats up, friendmues?

Will not you have even throw moves? Could it be that they do not have shortcut button maybe? It's a little disappointing but who knows becomes on a future DLC. I will buy everything that is available from Shenmue and none of this makes my hype down.
Welcome to the forums.

From the interview I think its simply a case that they couldn't get them working in an accpetable manner. Personally I won't miss them too much as I didn't really use them other than when trying to level something up or because I wanted to see a cool animation. Some of the moves would probably translate well (as others above have mentioned) to other inputs/classifications. My guess is in Shenmue 4 they would put them back in as most of the base systems they could use from Shenmue 3.

On another note I've been flciking through the IGN comments and oddly they arequite positive. Then again Esra's well written piece wasn't aimed at the normal IGN crowd. Most seem like fans of the games or at lease people who are aware of them.

Welcome to the forums.

From the interview I think its simply a case that they couldn't get them working in an accpetable manner. Personally I won't miss them too much as I didn't really use them other than when trying to level something up or because I wanted to see a cool animation. Some of the moves would probably translate well (as others above have mentioned) to other inputs/classifications. My guess is in Shenmue 4 they would put them back in as most of the base systems they could use from Shenmue 3.

On another note I've been flciking through the IGN comments and oddly they arequite positive. Then again Esra's well written piece wasn't aimed at the normal IGN crowd. Most seem like fans of the games or at lease people who are aware of them.

Agreed! Generally the comments on IGN have so many haters that it gets horrible to read but I felt very hopeful about the article and the comments. I'm anxious. As much as I miss those moves for me, some were very difficult to execute, at least with me lol. Thank you for the space. I can't wait put my hands on it.

Genuinely couldn't care less about the omission of throw moves.

Anyone else?

I care, because it's a limitation on a deep fighting mechanic. I hope they find ways to still keep the battle system deep and interesting. I didn't use them a lot, but over the years I have really tried to master a number of them when replaying the first two games.

Although part of me does hope it's a really literal translation, because not all of the throw moves actually involve literal 'throwing'. Like, for example, some of them involve other motions, if I remember correctly, like tripping your opponent and other things. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though... But perhaps they just mean certain throw moves. Ahh who am I kidding? They're probably all gone.

It's certainly not a deal breaker for me though (I mean, very little is), I always used throw moves sparingly. I was always worried the fighting gameplay would suffer with a new engine and it being redesigned from scratch, but besides the lack of throw moves, it looks very similar to the first two games and sounds brilliant.

I think we have to wait until the final product is released before we can really say if the omiting of throws is a loss or not. Maybe I was not skilled enough to use them but as I have already said a few times I never have been a fan off the throws. They were not doing enough damage. The kicking and punching attacks were much more affective.

But that might be my fault and not the fault of throws. Could be possible.

In General I think that even without the throws the fighting System could be very deep. But we have to wait and see.

They might still be used as cutscenes, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember back in 2015 that some moves will be implemented into cutscenes or something? I could be wrong though but yes as 9dragons said, it's too early to know.

Back