Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

Awesome Japan, apparently. They've been horrible since 2015. The first in a long line of blunders. We complained constantly to Cedric about them and he was powerless to effect change back then. There are clearly layers of management involved in this game and most of what we say is definitely falling on deaf ears.

I've followed the Kickstarter since day 1 and it was run like a shambles and the updates have been awful. This was just a cherry on top. $1800 to be deceived. The game looks really rough and this is definitely my first and only time I help or pledge for a game.

This isn't the place for that discussion. Here is. Secondly this comes across as a deliberate attempt to wind people up than prompt acutal discussion. Clairfy your point and leave this drive-by posting well alone.

My point? Perhaps that there are more pertinent matters related to E3's Shenmue showing than the choice of digital distribution platform, which I consider to be a non-issue.

View attachment 3066

Fucking embarrassing.

Honestly, these past 24 hours have seriously made me question Corey Marshall's statement that "Shenmue fans are simply the greatest fans in the world".

Verbally abusing a 61-year-old man online to the point of wishing he drops dead when something goes wrong over...a video game. Its unbelievable.

Nice to know they're taking things into consideration at least. Let's see where this goes.

I agree, the amount of toxicity I have seen these past 24 hours is vile. I thought we were better than this.

I don't particularly feel the need to justify myself to any of you, but I've felt for along time this community is it's own worst enemy considering how quickly it'll start throwing the series and even in some cases its creator under the bus when things don't go perfectly.

For all the good times had in this community, it's overwhelmingly become a huge regret that I spent four years observing patterns of behaviour that would eventually blow up when something like this happens. I could have been perfectly content to sit on my hands and just wait for this game, alone. I should have. I really, really should have.

Last edited:
Why do people keep parroting this 'the game was only promised for PC, not Steam specifically' nonsense? It was listed in the system requirements in Kickstarter updates right up until the June 4th update. Not only that, but the backer survey stated Steam specifically.

Because at the point people backed the game and the transaction and pledge was processed, whether via the Slacker Backer or Kickstarter, they did so for a PC version. Check the original order and payment transaction, not the Fangamer fulfillment. Anything else is subject to change. The system requirements you cite literally say in black and white that all are subject to change.

I don't particularly feel the need to justify myself to any of you, but I've felt for along time this community is it's own worst enemy considering how quickly it'll start throwing the series and even in some cases its creator under the bus when things don't go perfectly.
Welcome to planet earth. Where peole trhrow rocks first and think about the situation after.
But honestly it's all kind of irrelevant.
We're going to get the game, and hopefully it will be good. That's all I care.

Last edited:
People need to give deep silver and Suzuki some time now. They already know people are upset, and they probably will do something about it as stated by Ali Novin.
All the name calling, scam insinuation and piracy encouragement simply shows how imature so many people are.

I do absolutely agree with this. Being upset is fine, but taking your frustration and anger out in any of these ways is simply unacceptable.

Because at the point people backed the game and the transaction and pledge was processed, whether via the Slacker Backer or Kickstarter, they did so for a PC version. Check the original order and payment transaction, not the Fangamer fulfillment. Anything else is subject to change. The system requirements you cite literally say in black and white that all are subject to change.

Unfortunately, most seem to not see it that way. Even on ResetEra (which hasn't exactly been the best for Shenmue anyways), I received a 3 day ban for stating as much.

Nice to know they're taking things into consideration at least. Let's see where this goes.

I agree, the amount of toxicity I have seen these past 24 hours is vile. I thought we were better than this.

nah man, this is the internet. if you can count on something, its gamers who will send you serious death threats
because you did something that "destroyed" their product.
you need a waaaaayyy bigger fan community to compensate these kind of things.

At this point I just think the IP is destined to fail. It's always been unfairly judged, extreme hyperbole about quality, extreme expectations all while knowing all the loops Yu-san had to go through to turn this into a reality. Gamers are toxic. Yes, the epic exclusivity is the cherry on top. Never had a fair chance dating back to the DC days on a doomed console to a western focused Xbox.

My point? Perhaps that there are more pertinent matters related to E3's Shenmue showing than the choice of digital distribution platform, which I consider to be a non-issue.
Then that's fine but say that. Otherwise it comes across completely the wrong way.

This is exactly how I feel, and honestly it's making me realise that perhaps the best and only place to be a true Shenmue fan is in real life. The Internet is a very toxic place for something like Shenmue. In fact I've just come to the realisation that this exactly what I should do. Farewell everyone.

At this point I just think the IP is destined to fail. It's always been unfairly judged, extreme hyperbole about quality, extreme expectations all while knowing all the loops Yu-san had to go through to turn this into a reality. Gamers are toxic. Yes, the epic exclusivity is the cherry on top.
I adore Shenmue and Yu Suzuki, but they've made a series of blunders since 2015 that prove whoever is is in charge isn't a particularly savvy businessman. Horrible marketing, horrible trailers, the Epic snafu, etc.

I personally think the true issue is Yu Suzuki wanted to make another feature-packed 'epic' Shenmue instead of a Shenmue that could move the story forward but not be as true to the original games. That opened up lots of new problems for the development. For instance, like I said earlier, why did they feel it was necessary to pay for an English dub? Not even the Yakuza games (with the exception of #1 and the last on) have English dubs? Feature bloat will likely be the biggest culprit if Shenmue 3 is not a quality experience. I think back to Nagoshi's comment that Sega had to beg him to restrain Yu Suzuki during the development of the first Shenmue because Yu Suzuki kept wanting to add more and more, except this time Suzuki's budget was not bottomless.

Blame Deep Silver, Awesome Japan, and a long line of others for this. This has been a nightmare and no amount of flailing on a forum or insisting that Yu Suzuki said some neat things in a magazine is going to convince people things are peachy. Awful Kickstarter updates, poorly made trailers, whatever the hell happened this week--that's not on the fans or on the public.

Have to agree with you, the way the campaign has been handled has been atrocious. There has been a plethora of terrible and even bizarre decisions.

That said, call me an apologist or I don't know what, but I do believe its genuine naivety on Yu Suzuki's part. I am also personally happy with the way the game is finally shaping up and am ecstatic that Shenmue 3 will soon be a reality. So I feel, for now, I am able to seperate the campaign from the game itself (well unless I feel the final product is also terrible).

It is too early to say anything like that. The gaming world does not only consist of the west. It could still could generate enough cash to be sucessful in Japan and in China. The big chinese market is a Chance for sure.

If People really want to Play the game they will do it.

The Internet is just a giant echo chamber and is not Always Right.

Anyway I support Shenmue no matter what the Mainstream says. My opinion is quite often the opposite of the Mainstream. If the Mainstream says a game is good i often think it is trash. And if the Mainstream hates a game I find it good in many occasions.

So screw the Mainstream. There is still hope that S4 might become reality. It all depdens on the Asian markets now.

Have to agree with you, the way the campaign has been handled has been atrocious. There has been a plethora of terrible and even bizarre decisions.

That said, call me an apologist or I don't know what, but I do believe its genuine naivety on Yu Suzuki's part. I am also personally happy with the way the game is finally shaping up and am ecstatic that Shenmue 3 will soon be a reality. So I feel, for now, I am able to seperate the campaign from the game itself (well unless I feel the final product is also terrible).
That's where I am.

He's a game developer, not a businessman. Well, maybe a bit of a businessman, but he clearly relied on people like Cedric and Deep Silver to promote the game. Not sure where the problem first started.

I just watched Jim Sterling's commentary on the topic.
I know some dislike him: he's been in a rather vinegar mood lately, but I do think he tries to look at both sides, even if coming down hard on one side (not always evil in itself).

He wasn't as cynical as I thought he'd be. He actually surprised me with two points I didn't think an outrage poster would make:
a. It's fair to note that, in 2015, no one was anticipating the "console war" market we have among PC stores
b. Indeed, however irritating and however misleading it may be, crowdfunding is indeed a financial investment: you fork over the cash, and that's no guarantee you get what you asked for. Some hide behind litigation as a knee-jerk solution, but this model has been used over time.

Alas, he did get in his potshots, accusing them of being greedy (it may be true, for all we know) and making an insufferable Yakuza comparison.
All in all, this still looks bad and he ends on the same cynical tone many here/elsewhere share; he's a big enough "influencer" to stir the pot further.
(NB: I don't share this to rile people, I was just interested to see another take outside of our echo chamber)

Back