Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

Can't be arsed typing up a new post, so just pasting what I posted in the previous thread.

In regard to the trailer itself, even as one of the Dojo's more skeptical members, I was actually really happy with it. Of course, it needs refinement, the facial animations are still a bit dodgy, etc., but these will be addressed (at least to a certain extent) now that the game has been delayed. Personally, I disliked the Prophecy trailer and was somewhat worried by it, but I really found this new one reassuring. So, the game itself, I'm feeling confident about - the Shenmue aesthetic is evident, and I'm sure we're all going to love it.

As for the EGS fiasco, I'm not a serious PC gamer, so I don't know too much about EGS, and didn't even know about their reputation until this. That said, I can understand why this has worried so many fans, as Shenmue III needs every single sale it can get, so limiting this niche title to a platform with a comparatively tiny user base does seem pretty fucked-up. I know it will come to Steam at some point (thankfully), but by that time, the hype will have died down, and it'll surely miss out on quite a few sales as a result. I don't think this necessarily spells doom for the series, but people are well within their rights to be worried or angry about this, and I really think this point is flying over the heads of the "it's just a launcher" lot. I honestly don't think many of us are upset over something so trivial as having to use another launcher.

The "don't fuck with me" look is perfect :)

I just downloaded the trailers at 1080p....man, Youtube compression really doesn't help this game. It looks far nicer to me at 1080p.

Attachments

• Shenmue 3 the Hidden Art Returns Trailer JAPANESE.mp4_20190612_012047.171.jpg
    Shenmue 3 the Hidden Art Returns Trailer JAPANESE.mp4_20190612_012047.171.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 34
The "don't fuck with me" look is perfect :)

I just downloaded the trailers at 1080p....man, Youtube compression really doesn't help this game. It looks far nicer to me at 1080p.

I also like this shot:
unknown.png

If that becomes Ryo's neutral face, I'm all for it.

Hi there, I was silently following the board since a long time and didn't plan to post.
I'm a fan since the beginning like many others and of course backed the game. Even if some people were over reacting sometimes about S3,
just seeing and feel the S3 passion made me happy everyday. I feel like I wasn't alone.

I am very sad since yesterday. I personally think a lot of people are taking the EGS thing as an excuse to trash,
just because they're not happy with what has been shown (animations, design, no gameplay or whatever). If the game was like a AAA
but released on EGS, I bet this wouldn't be a problem right now.

I'm very sad because Shenmue reputation is killed. Yu Suzuki doesn't deserve this honestly. This old man has been putting all
he has to please us, A lot of people in the dev team are for sure having a hard time but still, they do their best to finish the work.
They don't deserve this.

Don't get me wrong, there are certain aspects of the game that doesn't meet my personal standards but honestly, just having a S3 is already a miracle and I'm happy with that.
Most of us are just happy with having the story. I don't know what to say, my mind is currently devastated.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I’d like to take this opportunity to bring you some very special news to celebrate our 100th Kickstarter update.

As many of you will be aware, the largest gaming expo in the world will be taking place in Los Angeles next week. At E3 2015, I was given the chance to make Shenmue III. Together we embarked on a journey that has allowed me to make a game far greater than I could have imagined. Four years on, thanks entirely to your support, that journey is coming to an end.

To mark the occasion, I will be returning to E3 to bring you a new trailer showcasing the latest build of Shenmue III. I’m very excited to share it with you and hope that you will enjoy seeing the progress that we have been able to make since the project began.

Although we have come a long way, I still believe that we can go further. I want to bring you the game that you’ve been waiting for, but to do that would require more time than our current release date allows. The team had also budgeted for an August release and so any further development time would require additional funding.

Given the donations we have already received from our loyal fan base, we do not expect (nor would we consider asking for) more donations and so we have been working hard to find additional sources of funding and have found one that would provide what we believe is required to help the game reach its full potential.

Whilst this option would help to provide a better game, there would be one major drawback. The game is currently scheduled for release on PlayStation 4 and Steam, but in order to secure the additional funding, we would need to move PC sales of the game to a different online seller for a fixed period of time. The game would still be released on Steam once the exclusivity deal had expired.

I appreciate that this is not what was originally promised and so I’d like your help to decide how we move forward.

All backers will be sent a survey giving them the choice between sticking with the current release plans or switching to the new plans with the game releasing in November. Unfortunately, there is no middle ground and we will be unable to offer refunds due to the way that funding has been allocated so far.

You put your trust in me to make the game and now I’m trusting you to make the right choice for the future of the series. I appreciate that some players will prefer the game to remain on Steam but believe that this change would be best for the game and the continuation of the series as a whole. Once again, it is in your hands.

Whatever you decide, Shenmue III will be with us by the end of this year and I’m excited to be sharing my vision with you after all these years. In the meantime, I hope you will enjoy the new trailer next week. There might also be another little surprise later on in the week!

Thanks as always for your continued support.
Yu Suzuki

That took five minutes to write. I know it’s far from perfect, but it’s a hell of a lot better than what we got.

It’s pretty much guaranteed that the majority of fans would have backed this decision if posed to them in such a way and this would have greatly diminished the possibility of negative press (if the fans made the choice, the press can’t slate the developer or publisher). It would also have allowed people to focus on the new trailer and upcoming demo footage rather than this mess.

Shane Luis is mistaken. No one was promised a Steam version. Platform and system requirements were subject to change as I already outlined. At the point of any initial pledge and transaction that was processed, people did so only for a PC version. There was no mention or promise made on how it would be distributed.

I also like this shot:
unknown.png

If that becomes Ryo's neutral face, I'm all for it.

Yeah same here, I got to admit. I think this is the best Ryo has looked thus far and this model really feels right to me. Everytime I see it, I just think it feels more and more right. It's the closest they've been to Ryo thus far.

There are some faces in that trailer that don't strike me as too bad

I mean this guy looks and feels like he would fit right at home in Yokosuka.

Even the master doesn't really bother me too much.

That took five minutes to write. I know it’s far from perfect, but it’s a hell of a lot better than what we got.

It’s pretty much guaranteed that the majority of fans would have backed this decision if posed to them in such a way and this would have greatly diminished the possibility of negative press (if the fans made the choice, the press can’t slate the developer or publisher). It would also have allowed people to focus on the new trailer and upcoming demo footage rather than this mess.
Yah, this is great. Problem is their PR has been atrocious since day one.

Yah, this is great. Problem is their PR has been atrocious since day one.
That’s pretty much my point. This whole thing wouldn’t have stirred up anywhere near as much drama if the way they’d announced it hadn’t been so blunt.

Somebody else made the point earlier that fans would have done a better job promoting this game and I honestly think that would have been the case.

I live about forty minutes from the YSNet headquarters and would happily have done it for free if it would have meant avoiding the ridiculous ‘PR’ we ended up with.

So the PC Physical version was always intended to sync with Steam? (not asking due to the Epic fiasco), I genuinely thought it would be on disc - It's why I got the PC version extra, if it can be changed... I might consider it.

It doesn't fit on a disc. It's 100 GB. The disc was just gonna have a download start or a Steam installer.

At one point they responded to a backer's message and said the intention was for it to all be on discs. Seemed silly and impossible at the time though... It would need like 10 dvds at least (even under the assumption it won't really reach anywhere near 100gb in size)

At one point they responded to a backer's message and said the intention was for it to all be on discs. Seemed silly and impossible at the time though... It would need like 10 dvds at least (even under the assumption it won't really reach anywhere near 100gb in size)
Could still be done, 100GB is basically 2 Blu-rays. Even the Final Fantasy VII remake is apparently launching on multiple discs now. Of course, this would be easier for the PS4 backers, a lot of PC gamers don't have Blu-ray drives installed.

Have to agree with you, the way the campaign has been handled has been atrocious. There has been a plethora of terrible and even bizarre decisions.

That said, call me an apologist or I don't know what, but I do believe its genuine naivety on Yu Suzuki's part. I am also personally happy with the way the game is finally shaping up and am ecstatic that Shenmue 3 will soon be a reality. So I feel, for now, I am able to seperate the campaign from the game itself (well unless I feel the final product is also terrible).

That's where I am.
He's a game developer, not a businessman. Well, maybe a bit of a businessman, but he clearly relied on people like Cedric and Deep Silver to promote the game. Not sure where the problem first started.

Ditto.
I don’t really associate YS himself with any of this. Guy’s just busy making and finalizing the game’s content; I doubt he’s responsible for the ins and outs of the (often times bizarre) marketing strategy.

Perhaps Epic Games really did make Deep Silver a deal that they simply couldn’t refuse. That’s fine as well…just give the original backers what they were told to expect for a while now (ie Steam keys), or at least allow refunds for those who just can’t deal with the last minute change. I'd like to think they could come up with something to mitigate the damage. Fair is fair.

As for the people wishing ill on ___ for this…that’s just your (sadly) typical internet hyperbolic BS. Frankly embarrassing, but not to be taken seriously (by anyone).

Yeah, on that side of things there's two things to be said:

1. Wishing death on people for this is ridiculous and just makes you out to be a horrible person.
  2. Yu Suzuki probably had next to no say in this - the publisher (Deep Silver) is responsible for the marketing and contracts related to the game. When it says YsNet made this decision "with Deep Silver", it essentially means Deep Silver made the decision and YsNet decided they wanted to keep having a publisher.

I have no dog in this fight as I do my gaming primarily on console. I'll be playing Shenmue III on PS4 anyway. I'm not going to pretend like I understand this "blunder". I just want to talk about the damn trailer and how great it is.

Ok. So reading others negative comments of fury and rage doesn't exactly have a positive effect on others. Especially when it's everywhere. Thing is I can't blame anyone for having the arse. It has been a bit of a shit storm lately.

Shenmue of ALL franchises needs all the help it can get - that means being available on all consoles and all services. We all KNOW this. FACT.

Us, as fans have done our part. We have done our part now loads of times over. Buying this, funding that, buying more.

Its typical of companies though isnt it? Whether its Deep Silver, Sony (If there is an exclusive deal) or Epic. They don't understand and care deeply about our franchise as we do. Sony and Epic don't give a fuck if it fails. If they did there wouldn't be any exclusive rights. Its just money to them, and that can come and go. They have no idea what's best for this franchise. We do (Every bloody platform possible).

I've gotta admit though, that as a fan of Shenmue - trying to spread the word to friends/colleagues now becomes increasingly difficult. They will take one look at the trailers or articles and laugh me off. I can't blame them in all honesty. Shenmue 3 has become a bloody hard sell. And I'm not sure who's to blame.

End of the day though, we gotta make the best out of this shit situation and just ride the storm.

Let's take a step back guys. 5 years ago we would have killed to play this game on ANY platform. (I bought a fucking Sony console to play it on!!! Says it all...) We wouldn't have given a fuck and would have done anything possible to play it.

OUR Shenmue 3 is still coming (and hey, it's getting a fucking lot of attention right? Bad attention is better than no attention at all).

People need to mellow out.
I kinda understand the anger to a degree, but I don't know why everyone doesn't have the patience to wait for an official response or the gameplay promo tomorrow.

we went from zero to flinging shit at the walls in .00005 seconds real quick.

Back