Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

it wouldnt surprise me if there isnt even any game data on the disc, just a installer.
nowadays where you need some kind of launcher for pretty much every Pc game,
there is no disc or just a disc with a installer + code in the box and you have to download everything.

i think in the PSN store it says that you need at least 26 GB of space,
so thats impossible for one DVD and i really really really doubt that they will put 3, 4, 5 DVDs in there.
nobody does this anymore besides a company like Rockstar for GTA 5.

Blu-Rays. Nobody uses DVDs anymore (for console games) ;) Console games usually still get the data on the disc but still need to download a day-one patch. PC games just get the store installer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Confirmation, just went into my FanGamer settings and changed it to a PS4 version :)

Wait, you thought you were getting the ENTIRE GAME on a disc?

You know computers don't come with Blu-Ray Drives as a standard, right?

I would gladly pay for the dlc and I never buy dlc. Plus I plan to buy multiple copays to get the extra stuff thrown in.

In the old days company's would never need or have to respond to the fan base.
Or justify a change in policy

I know the kickstarter thing changes that
But is it really worth getting fed-up to not play Shenmue 3? Or support it?

I know people are angry but I just don't get it. Why be pissed off when the series we all love is on the horizon. It now has a bleak out look because of all this negative energy that might be the demise of the series.

Blu-Rays. Nobody uses DVDs anymore (for games) ;) Console games usually still get the data on the disc but still need to download a day-one patch. PC games just get the store installer.

Blu Rays are not a thing in the PC retail market.
If you visit a normal electronics or videogame shop you can see that all of the physical Pc games are DVD only.
And almost no publisher puts more than one disc in the box.

Yea I didn't read that to be honest. Anyone can dress it up as much as they want, and whilst I completely understand the criticism and genuine grievance of it all, it's how it was all conducted that has tarnished the reputation of so called "fans" for good. The venom, toxicity and uncontrollable concoction of fan comments would be something I would think was reserved for reacting to a mass genocide or catastrophe. Just as there's no taking back the Epic decision or how it was conducted, the 24 hour reaction cannot be taken back. It's one of the most saddening things I've been unlucky to bear witness to in gaming.

I completely understand. The unfortunate reality is that, as with anything, there will always be a group of toxic and hateful people that may be a minority, but speak very loudly, especially with the protection of anonymity online. These aren't, for the most part, the lovers of Shenmue that have fought for its return for nearly 20 years.

Blu Rays are not a thing in the PC retail market.
If you visit a normal electronic or videogame shop you can see that all of the physical Pc games are DVD only.

Oh, I didn't even know. Haven't bought physical in a very long time.

Oh, I didn't even know. Haven't bought physical in a very long time.

Yeah i dont know why but Blu Ray is a console thing,
Pc just skipped it and now with Steam and all the other launchers its pretty much digital only.
It doesnt matter if you buy retail or digital on Pc.
If you have a bad internet connection its your problem because chances are ultra low
that you will find 5+ DVDs in a box.

There never should have been a situation for fans to be put into. If you go into a deal, that's fine but you can't change what people selected--if Steam had NEVER been mentioned, there would be uproar but less so.

But it was. There are some egregious negative things going on, but some of the fans are right to be upset; not nastily so, but right none the less.

The Shenmue community is passionate. That passion was manifested in a bad way, that much is clear.

But all--all of this could have been avoided. It really could have.

I do not trust Deep Silver. I don't think they care, I don't think they invested as much as people think(it was PR talk) and I somewhat believe this game is being set up and sent to die by them once they realised it wasnt gonna add up to what they expected out of a small team.

I don't care. I'll still play it, but any hope of IV may be dead.

Shenmue 3 will be released on Steam in the future.
Physical PC copies will come with a code for the Epic Games Store.

Source: https://shenmue3.deepsilver.com/en.html FAQ Section

U7vJWN2.png

So this has been a timed exclusive this entire time? Who the fuck is running this games marketing?

What in the fuck!

Hello everybody, I was following the discussions for longtime without being registered and I've thought it was the good moment to give my feelings about all of that (pardon my French, English is not my native language).

That's generally very difficult to talk with angry people. We should find a reasonable solution on Kickstarter but looks like everybody prefer to have a refund or unleash their hatred. I can understand they are angry because I'm also pissed off with that decision and pretty disappointed, but I think it's better not to be rude or insulting. I gave 300$ and that's a big amount of money for me, but I love so much Shenmue that I felt happy at that moment to help and what they promised to give back was kinda interesting (and not so interesting anymore right now).

I think, first of all, Kickstarter should review their rules because there are too many projects that finally end up with a publisher and backers are pushed to the background getting from "thanks for all your support dear backers" to "thanks but we don't need you or your opinion anymore". KS was initially made for bringing players and developers closer together without the involvement of a publisher. The communication of the campaign was already weird before but it got more difficult when Deepsilver appeared and decided what was supposed to be showed or not and from that moment KS was not KS anymore. And now they decided (because it's obviously a decision of Deepsilver) to switch the PC version to another launcher with disgusting practices. Some people say the EGS is new and have time to be improved but it's online since a long time actually. Shadow Complex was given away in 2015! And in 4 years, instead of trying to improve their website and their launcher by adding features, they preferred to buy exclusivities and then force people to join without giving them the choice. Steam and GOG were able to co-exist during years without doing that (GOG also made the GOG Connect to link some steams games to the GOG library) and nobody complained about it.

I'm disappointed and also afraid of the future of the license now. Because it's definitely not a good move for YSnet that will lose a big fanbase. Deepsilver knew the bad reputation of EGS before announcing this stupid decision (They also blamed Koch Media for Metro Exodus!) and I don't think they did it for the sake of the license, it's a business decision and that's all. And by accepting that practice, Kickstarter also opens the Pandora box for the next projects. I spent time to support them, even against their weird communication, the bad vibes on the web and the bashing against the animations because I think the game looks perfectly "Shenmue" and I loved what I've seen… But right now I can't really support this decision because they clearly didn't think about the backers.

So this has been a timed exclusive this entire time? Who the fuck is running this games marketing?

What in the fuck!
As far as I'm aware, all Epic exclusivity deals are only for a year. The main issue is that by the time it arrives on Steam, many potential casual buyers will have lost interest or forgot about S3. That and there are many that refuse to buy a game that ever had a deal with Epic.

It hurts to say, but at this point I just plan to wring all the enjoyment out of S3 that I can and love it for all it's worth, because I'm not expecting an S4 anymore.

So I took some time to think these thing over & I've come to the conclusion that SIV if it survives from this ordeal must never be put into DS's hands ever again to make any platform publishing/PR call. Either self-publish, Sega, or another publisher with a decade or more good publishing track-record standing with a PR team that has a finger on the pulse of the market. DS must have known/seen the metro debacle. I have a very strong gut feeling controversial marketing must have been part of the PR plan after they hoodwink Yu into believing this was a smart move. Idk how many copies this will sell to platform warriors, but I will never ever trust DS anymore after this PR disaster. And Awesome Japan as well. Those guys are the absolute worst marketing team to ever hire for a dream project. I want the series to end on a high note. Get the ball rolling for a AAA-blowout finale. Clear the stain on Suzuki's magnum opus. The fans of this series do a better job at market research than both of these hacks combined. Now that community goodwill has been burned by this shitestorm, there is only two path forward. Reset the clock & undo the deals with the devil or Epic moneyhat the costs so S3 does not need to meet 1m+ hard-sales & SIV goes back under traditional industry publishing/dev norm. I Strongly urge tho that SEGA needs to rescue Shenmue. This is their GTA/WITCHER/RDR/ETC IP. Treat it & Yu Suzuki's legacy with more respect & contract him to work alongside Am2 to finish this one of a kind series. I'm heart-broken as heck for this community, and this ordeal has taken the wind out of my sails.

I would not write of Shenmue 4 yet. There is still Chance that attracts enough People that they do not fight in the Epic/Valve war or just do not care. There is still the asian market that does not participate in that war too. If S3 is a Quality game the People will get there.

And although I have to admit it does not look good, nothing is set in Stone. The Angry People in the net today are not the definite factor if the game will fail.

Althought the net is quite influental it as not as influental as many People think. There are Always other people left the game could attract in Theory if is really good.

This isn't meant to spark an argument or a debate, or a defense of the EGS, I'm just thinking aloud really. But I do think people might be a little bit too fatalistic over what EGS means for sales and Shenmue IV. Games are still successful on that platform, some even seeing unprecedented sales numbers. Shenmue III can absolutely still sell high volumes there. Potential sales was never the issue here.

But even if people did boycott or decide not to buy the game, Epic guarantees revenue up to a certain amount of sales, whether or not sales actually hit that number. So the revenue it would have made on Steam is essentially guaranteed at this point. That's always been one of Epic's stingy moves to convince publishers to sign exclusivity contracts.

Also consider that a vast majority of people will be playing on console and won't be affected in any way by the Epic decision. That's where the largest chunk of revenue lies and thankfully the Epic deal can never take that away.

That's why I don't think that this whole thing puts Shenmue IV in jeopardy as much as people think. It's not the financial element that we need to worry about. It's more so the sketchy reputation that clings to titles entering into these deals.

This isn't meant to spark an argument or a debate, or a defense of the EGS, I'm just thinking aloud really. But I do think people might be a little bit too fatalistic over what EGS means for sales and Shenmue IV. Games are still successful on that platform, some even seeing unprecedented sales numbers. Shenmue III can absolutely still sell high volumes there. Potential sales was never the issue here.

But even if people did boycott or decide not to buy the game, Epic guarantees revenue up to a certain amount of sales, whether or not sales actually hit that number. So the revenue it would have made on Steam is essentially guaranteed at this point. That's always been one of Epic's stingy moves to convince publishers to sign exclusivity contracts.

Also consider that a vast majority of people will be playing on console and won't be affected in any way by the Epic decision. That's where the largest chunk of revenue lies and thankfully the Epic deal can never take that away.

That's why I don't think that this whole thing puts Shenmue IV in jeopardy as much as people think. It's not the financial element that we need to worry about. It's more so the sketchy reputation that clings to titles entering into these deals.

As for the unprecedented sales, I wouldn't read too much into this. Epic is a master of spinning numbers. You know a game is successful when they reveal concrete numbers. It's not going to sell high numbers there, but that's fine, they already bought the copies. The problem is that they're hurting potential growth here.

Still can't blame AJ, neither Deep Silver, YSnet or Epic.

People are just too sensitive for nothing. Zero tolerance. You make ONE thing wrong and you get all the backlash. And the phenomenon is random. You can say "one-year delay", nobody will complain. But if you're saying "another launcher" then BOOM. Nowadays, you must have psychic powers to predict the audience reaction. And when you're not backed by a top console manufacturer or publisher, the task becomes even harder...

Even if I did ask for a Steam edition, I never thought about a refund because I knew Steam was not guaranteed when I decided to give all my saved money to YSnet. They changed their mind, end of story. Few people should feel scammed (late slacker backers, steam buyers) but that's all.

Can't believe that Yu Suzuki, a man from the old generation, is at the center of this kind of hailstorm, again. Imagine the man being presented the situation, all this fuss about a stupid launcher... World has became crazy he might think. Hopefully things calm down with time and Deep Silver find the solution to get out of this merry mess.

@
高野和泉

it seems like nobody was really interested in Shenmue 3. that was the point why it took Suzuki so long to start the project.
in the end he had no other choice than Kickstarter because it was the best way
to get at least a minimum budget from the fans.
Sega was not interested in funding this game.

so if you think this through -
without a real publisher, it would mean that Suzuki had nothing else than the 7 mil from KS
+ whatever the deal with Shibuya and Sony is.
you can read in older updates, that its only because of the help from Deep Silver, that they were able to
make the developer team and the game way bigger.

so without Deep Silver there would be no delays for polishing, the budget would be gone in 2017 / 2018,
the developer team would be smaller, the game world would be smaller.
now imagine the latest E3 trailer from the Pc Gaming Show but with one year less time for polishing,
no second studio for characters, a smaller game world, less NPCs and so on.

would that be a better product for us? would we all be cool with that?
now get rid of Deep Silver for Shenmue 4 ... after this whole mess, what if Shenmue 3 only gets
average scores because of the overall quality ... who is gonna fund Shenmue 4?

its not like we can freely choose a perfect publisher. it was already troublesome to find ONE.

Still can't blame AJ, neither Deep Silver, YSnet or Epic.

People are just too sensitive for nothing. Zero tolerance. You make ONE thing wrong and you get all the backlash. And the phenomenon is random. You can say "one-year delay", nobody will complain. But if you're saying "another launcher" then BOOM. Nowadays, you must have psychic powers to predict the audience reaction. And when you're not backed by a top console manufacturer or publisher, the task becomes even harder...

Even if I did ask for a Steam edition, I never thought about a refund because I knew Steam was not guaranteed when I decided to give all my saved money to YSnet. They changed their mind, end of story. Few people should feel scammed (late slacker backers, steam buyers) but that's all.

Can't believe that Yu Suzuki, a man from the old generation, is at the center of this kind of hailstorm, again. Imagine the man being presented the situation, all this fuss about a stupid launcher... World has became crazy he might think. Hopefully things calm down with time and Deep Silver find the solution to get out of this merry mess.
Why can't you blame AJ or Deep Silver? There was a nice 'example' letter of good PR a couple pages back or in another thread. They could've at least attempted to ease people into this news and come up with some kind of concession or contingency plan for backers who would have an issue. There was a thread on this very forum about Metro being an Epic Store exclusive and how Shenmue might also end up the same way. People were very, very upset about the possibility.

They could've predicted this outcome many months ago. Arrogance or ignorance prevented them from handling this better. Based on the useless correspondence from the Kickstarter team over the past four years, I'm not surprised they didn't handle this well either. That said, it's on Deep Silver IMHO.

I definitely find it amusing + disturbing people are still filling the Kickstarter with nonsense at this very minute. I can't imagine being THIS upset about any video game that I'd spend several days complaining and threatening to sue people.

Market research could have avoided landmines. If you know where they are it's easier to avoid stepping on one. Hell, even Sega is doing a much better market and PR research nowadays even tho their marketing team is miles not as creative/epic as they used to be back in their hay-day. Fans would have done it for free if Suzuki/Cedric/DS all but just ask us to get involved.

Back