MAGIC Monaco Press Conference - 9th March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats the one thing about the clothes. okay, maybe everyone in that small village
is wearing super new clothes every day or they have a super good washing machine
but what about the face? to me it looks like the new shenhua is wearing fake eye lashes, eye liner,
she styled her eyebrows and has super smooth facial skin.
she is pretty but shenhuas S2 style is natural beauty and shenhuas S3 style looks more
like a girl from a big city where putting make up on every morning is totally normal.

both of these things together, clothes and "makeup look", is a little bit too much for me
when i think about some random village girl who has no tv or anything like that in her house.
its not a huge problem, i just have that feeling when i see her that something is not right.

Right. She looks like an imposter. It's not Shenhua.

Normally I wouldn’t interject in a conversation about something as subjective as Shenhua’s clothes. However didn’t Yu Suzuki make a joke in an interview that it would seem weird for Shenhua to always be wearing the same clothes and was considering hiring a fashion designer for III? Like Spaghetti said, her appearance has always been inconsistent as long as she has the same sweet personality and looks close to her various media intereptations then I am fine with it.

Why haven't we seen Ryo change clothes then? Why is this standard done only for Shenhua?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryo has only the clothes on his back, and Shenhua has a wardrobe at home in Bailu, perhaps? It doesn't have to be held to a massive level of scrutiny. I was really only making the point that Shenhua's outfit doesn't feel wildly out of place. As long as textiles are available and you have someone skilled with a needle and thread, nice clothes can be found basically anywhere.

Stupid thought, but if the game starts in the cave we should at least briefly see her in the S2 outfit, right?
Jury is out on that one. We've seen parts of the cave scene already, and she's in the new outfit.

Given stuff tends to evolve from showing to showing with this game, she could end up in her original outfit anyway by the time the game releases.

Or it'll stay the same, and we'll have to adopt the headcanon she just got changed on the morning she and Ryo went to the stone pit.

what the H*CK is this??
That's the t-shirt they're selling at MAGIC.

The only thing I'll add is this: the changes to Shenhua are clearly intentional. If they wanted to make her look identical to the SII model they would have. It's not as if they forgot she used to wear a scarf and look much younger. She's been changed for a reason, and as soon as the game starts she will be become the real Shenhua. We're going to spend so much time with her in III, and learn her true personality, that it will totally eclipse the time we spent with her in SII.

Normally I wouldn’t interject in a conversation about something as subjective as Shenhua’s clothes. However didn’t Yu Suzuki make a joke in an interview that it would seem weird for Shenhua to always be wearing the same clothes and was considering hiring a fashion designer for III? Like Spaghetti said, her appearance has always been inconsistent as long as she has the same sweet personality and looks close to her various media intereptations then I am fine with it.

No, it wouldn't be weird, Yu. Ryo has literally worn the same outfit for months. So has every other character. Ryo didn't even bring a change of clothes to China. This is a video game, remember? Why would it be considered weird? Ryo slept, ate, worked in the same outfit every day. So did Xiuying. Shenhua changing clothes while everyone else hasn't? That's weird.

View attachment 2174

This is the greatest expression of Ryo in any Shenmue game to date. For the first time in Shenmue 3, Ryo has finally come into his own.

I’m nervous as hell for Monaco. 17 years of anticipation probably has something to do with it..

That would actually make for a better cover than the current placeholder.

The only thing I'll add is this: the changes to Shenhua are clearly intentional. If they wanted to make her look identical to the SII model they would have. It's not as if they forgot she used to wear a scarf and look much younger. She's been changed for a reason, and as soon as the game starts she will be become the real Shenhua. We're going to spend so much time with her in III, and learn her true personality, that it will totally eclipse the time we spent with her in SII.

I know it's deliberate. That doesn't mean we have to like it. I have been used to Shenhua looking the same way for 15 years. It's pretty clear that the team wants to make Shenhua into a cute girl archetype, and since she's my favorite character in the saga, I find that to be a betrayal of her character. I really don't like it. It's like seeing the reserved Guizhang suddenly showing up in a Hawaiian outfit to me.

And while it's certainly subjective, I find the new Shenhua design to be completely inferior in terms of looks.

At the end of the day, Yu Suzuki has to sign off on the character models. They are not simply some arbitrary personal decision of the character artist or modeler. The logo, the characters and Yu Suzuki’s vision for Shenmue certainly changed and evolved over the past two decades.

The Shenmue that we receive in August is certainly going to differ than the one we would have received back in the early 2000’s had the game undergone development on the DC, and I am not just speaking technically. But then again hasn’t each of our own stories and outlooks changed and evolved over the past 17 years.

If any of us were to develop our own games now and 17 years in the future, how different would they look and play?

At the end of the day, Yu Suzuki has to sign off on the character models. They are not simply some arbitrary personal decision of the character artist or modeler. The logo, the characters and Yu Suzuki’s vision for Shenmue certainly changed and evolved over the past two decades.

The Shenmue that we receive in August is certainly going to differ than the one we would have received back in the early 2000’s had the game undergone development on the DC, and I am not just speaking technically. But then again hasn’t each of our own stories and outlooks changed and evolved over the past 17 years.

If any of us were to develop our own games now and 17 years in the future, how different would they look and play?

This would be fine if it were applied consistently. If Shenhua's design is to be changed, why not Ryo? She's equally as important to the story as him if not more so. Yet Suzuki's team has done everything in their power to make Ryo, Ren, and Lan Di look like their past counter parts, therefore making Shenhua's redesign stick out like a sore thumb.

I know it's deliberate. That doesn't mean we have to like it. I have been used to Shenhua looking the same way for 15 years. It's pretty clear that the team wants to make Shenhua into a cute girl archetype, and since she's my favorite character in the saga, I find that to be a betrayal of her character. I really don't like it. It's like seeing the reserved Guizhang suddenly showing up in a Hawaiian outfit to me.
I'm not saying it's wrong to be disappointed in her new look. Personally I think her SII model is more of a "cute archetype" than this new model, but each to their own.

This would be fine if it were applied consistently. If Shenhua's design is to be changed, why not Ryo? She's equally as important to the story as him if not more so. Yet Suzuki's team has done everything in their power to make Ryo, Ren, and Lan Di look like their past counter parts, therefore making Shenhua's redesign stick out like a sore thumb.

I would also have preferred it if Shenhua looked more like she did in Shenmue 2. Like you say, they made everyone also look very similar to their old models, why not her too? However, I do think her new model looks very good so I can accept the changes they made. It isn't a huge deal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back