Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

Excuse my stupidity but I missed that in the translation from Google.

Where does it say there are no throw moves? I must keep missing it.

"We've rebuilt all the battle animation from scratch. We didn't use any of the past works or assets of" Vacha Fighter ". It was quite difficult, so unfortunately we couldn't put in a throw at this time," Suzuki said.

Lack of throw attacks would be an antithetical concept for a character raised in jujitsu culture...

The VG247's description of the shop is pretty concerning as well. If stores are only a menu interface to buy items like Yakuza, we would move further away from the original Shenmue.

Ah ok seems I'm missing it. Urgh lol.

We shall see. I'd be disappointed if there's no throws in there but let's wait.

Excuse my stupidity but I missed that in the translation from Google.

Where does it say there are no throw moves? I must keep missing it.

"We've rebuilt all the battle animation from scratch. We didn't use any of the past works or assets of" Vacha Fighter ". It was quite difficult, so unfortunately we couldn't put in a throw at this time," Suzuki said.

the text is a little above the Prophecy Youtube video and under the picture of Ryos last pose from the new trailer

A french blog also released their thoughts on the backstage exclusive trailer!
Haven't read it yet.

Ah ok seems I'm missing it. Urgh lol.

We shall see. I'd be disappointed if there's no throws in there but let's wait.

That's okay...I took a look at the original Japanese

「バトルアニメーションはすべてスクラッチから作り直しています。過去作や『バーチャファイター』のアセットは使っていません。かなり大変だったので、今回は残念ながら投げ技を入れることができませんでした」と鈴木。

投げ技 = Throwing Technique

投げ技を入れることができません = We couldn't put in the throwing technique

That translation is pretty much correct...my basic Japanese knows enough to know that it's pretty spot on

Google translate does get some things right ;) It also screws up a hell of a lot on more complex sentences due to the general lack of easily defined context in Japanese...the lack of easily defined context really screws with translate machines

Lack of throw attacks would be an antithetical concept for a character raised in jujitsu culture...

The VG247's description of the shop is pretty concerning as well. If stores are only an interface to buy items like Yakuza, we would move further away from the original Shenmue.

I agree with you on the throw moves comment.

But regarding shop menus...

Just because you buy things from a menu doesn't mean you can't interact with items on shelves. I mean, I know people are getting tired of Yakuza comparisons but in those games you buy things from a menu while still being alllowed to interact with certain items on display like magazines, and posters.

Also picking up each item manually off the shelves and then going back to the cashier would become extremely tedious after a while, even if you didn't have to go back after every single item you picked up like in Shenmue 1 and 2.

On the other hand, if you could pick up items off the shelves and steal them and that interacted with the affinity system where the more you steal the worse consequences you have to accept, it would be worth having to pick up every single item individually. Like steal enough from one store and the store won't allow you in any more, steal enough from multiple stores and the owners will tell each other to not trust you.

Alas, I dont think its gonna work like that, nor would the budget allow it. We all knew Shenmue 3 would have to make sacrifices due to the realities and circumstances of its funding.

Just because you buy things from a menu doesn't mean you can't interact with items on Shelves. I mean, I know people are getting tired of Yakuza conparions but in those games you by things from a menu while still being alllowed to interact with certain items on display like magazines, and posters.

Also picking up each item manually off the shelves and then going back to the cashier would become tedious after a while, even if you didn't have to go back after every item you picked up like in Shenmue 1 and 2.

Red Dead Redemption 2 did something similar. You could inspect items and buy them off the shelf or just walk up to the counter and browse through a shopping booklet to buy bulk.

Regarding Ryo's 'strange walking animations', there's still plenty of time to fix that.

Frogwares corrected their issues almost overnight with The Sinking City

I don't wish to pile on you, but can you please stop comparing this game to 50,000 other titles?

EVERYTHING will be corrected to an extent; we all know this.

Regarding the French interview, it's great the Yu is using the unpublished music tracks from the first two games!

Does anyone know if any original scores will also be composed for S3?

Last edited:
I don't wish to pile on you, but can you please stop comparing this game to 50,000 other titles?

EVERYTHING will be corrected to an extent; we all know this.

Also it depends on if the budget will allow for it. They might just be stretched extremely thin and not have the funds to correct it. Maybe they will have to choose between better facial animations or better walking animations. We dont know. We do know it's not an AAA game, so there will have to be restraints and compromises.

Even so, knowing that doesnt exclude me from being disappointed in lack of throw moves and good walking animations. I still think it will be a good game though.

I will wait to get clarification, but is it possible to have 100 moves scrolls all dedicated to kicks and punches....

Alas, I dont think its gonna work like that, nor would rhe budget allow it. We all knew Shenmue 3 would have sacrifices due to the realities and circumstances of its funding.

We all knew it would have sacrifices. "How many" was the theoretical question. If you're doing too much sacrifices, it's not going to be "Shenmue 3". But I do believe we will still be able to select items on the shelves as Gameblog said it was very close to Shenmue 1 although that's still not 100% clear.

Whatever, I'm happy to read this part:
"La grande majorité des joueurs, même expérimentés, vont perdre ce combat. Ils doivent comprendre que l'entraînement est nécessaire si l'on veut progresser"
"Most of the players, including the most experimented, are going to lose this free battle. They have to learn that training is necessary to progress"

No cheated free battle against masters any more?

Not a fan of the interface informing of the NPC names when approaching them though. We didn't need that in Shenmue 2.

I will wait to get clarification, but is it possible to have 100 moves scrolls all dedicated to kicks and punches....
Well here's the thing - maybe viewing it as just kicks and punches is a bit narrow.

I think it'll probably take into account a broader range of moves from martial arts, like knee and palm strikes rather than just pigeonholing them into punches and kicks. To account for throws being omitted, I think we'll see other types of moves capable of generating the kinetic force to bowl enemies over and into each other, like we saw in this screen:

fight_with_thugsdajmr.jpg

A move that strikes with the palm but more or less has the same result as a throw - it takes the enemy right off their feet.

Some say Ryos's walking animation is the same from the old games, others say it new and different... I want to see it with my own eyes.
I think they're conflating how Ryo walks as a character with actual animation quality?

One of the animators who worked on Ryo's walk in the original games said he was directed to make him move like a martial artist, with a straight back, etc.

Well here's the thing - maybe viewing it as just kicks and punches is a bit narrow.

I think it'll probably take into account a broader range of moves from martial arts, like knee and palm strikes rather than just pigeonholing them into punches and kicks. To account for throws being omitted, I think we'll see other types of moves capable of generating the kinetic force to bowl enemies over and into each other, like we saw in this screen:

fight_with_thugsdajmr.jpg

A move that strikes with the palm but more or less has the same result as a throw - it takes the enemy right off their feet.
This is a good point, maybe it would be more accurate to say there are no grappling throws.

Back