Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

Some say Ryo's walking animation is the same from the old games, others say it new and different...

Gameblog implied in-between. It's better animated than Shenmue 1 & 2, no doubt about that, but it's far from the AAA games everybody is used to. So some people may find Ryo still very stiff.

This is a good point, maybe it would be more accurate to say there are no grappling throws.
Thanks.

Going by the Google translation it sounds they certainly tried to have the throws we were expecting, but for whatever reason they just couldn't get it working this time. It already looks like they've accounted for that by giving moves a similar result, so there's not a huge amount of functional change in a practical sense.

I don't think they'll be hugely missed now Ryo's capacity for crowd control has been improved anyway.

Gameblog implied in-between. It's better animated than Shenmue 1 & 2, no doubt about that, but it's far from the AAA games everybody is used to. So some people may find Ryo still very stiff.

There was a Kickstarter update from a few years ago that showed About 10
seconds of Ryo’s walking animation. I remember it looking just fine.

Does anyone recall which update that was?

This is a good point, maybe it would be more accurate to say there are no grappling throws.

Well according to Jisho (Japanese dictionary)

Anyways, I think it’s safe to assume there is no dedicated throw button. But maybe throws will be implemented in other combinations?

Well according to Jisho (Japanese dictionary)

Anyways, I think it’s safe to assume there is no dedicated throw button. But maybe throws will be implemented in other combinations?

View attachment 2326

Yeah, like from that screen shot we can actually see Ryo pushing an enemy back and him falling to the ground, which is kind of a quasi/psuedo throw, but there might not be any moves where Ryo actually wraps his hand or arms or legs around an enemies waist or other limb (a grapple) to incapacitate and throw him.

This is an interesting theory.

A move that starts with the hit that transitions into a canned throwing animation to end it might be a workaround they've employed.

I think they're conflating how Ryo walks as a character with actual animation quality?

One of the animators who worked on Ryo's walk in the original games said he was directed to make him move like a martial artist, with a straight back, etc.
Yeah, seems to be so! Actually I like the way Ryo moves In the first two games a lot. As you say, like a martial artist. Going up the stairs one by one and with precision.
Tho, I don't know until what point the same movement nowadays would be considerd clunky or outdated...

Guys, are you missing the "at this time?" That doesn't mean they're not putting in throws. It means they haven't been implemented. I will wait until they definitively say no throws.

I'm Sure one of the interviews said going in presented a menu you buy from rather than picking up items.

I'd have to look again

We all knew it would have sacrifices. "How many" was the theoretical question. If you're doing too much sacrifices, it's not going to be "Shenmue 3". But I do believe we will still be able to select items on the shelves as Gameblog said it was very close to Shenmue 1 although that's still not 100% clear.

Whatever, I'm happy to read this part:
"La grande majorité des joueurs, même expérimentés, vont perdre ce combat. Ils doivent comprendre que l'entraînement est nécessaire si l'on veut progresser"
"Most of the players, including the most experimented, are going to lose this free battle. They have to learn that training is necessary to progress"

No cheated free battle against masters any more?

Not a fan of the interface informing of the NPC names when approaching them though. We didn't need that in Shenmue 2.
In RDR2, you can pick things off the shelf or order from a book. I saw something about being able to interact with items in first person view in one of the articles, so I wouldn't assume anything yet. Upon revisiting Shenmue 1, I found shopping extremely cumbersome and irritating.

Guys, are you missing the "at this time?" That doesn't mean they're not putting in throws. It means they haven't been implemented. I will wait until they definitively say no throws.
At this stage... I don't think they're making the cut. I take Yu's comment to mean "we couldn't get them working how we wanted in this game", which I guess leaves the door open to take another run at it if Shenmue IV happens.

I mean who knows, last minute breakthroughs are possible.

Actually am neutral about the shop menu. In fact, is a very small gripe of mine in Shenmue when grinding for toys and Saturn games. Love the life-like animation of interacting, but wish there could've at least been the abiity to grab multiple, press Y for a menu list, then only go to counter once.

Last edited:
  • Shenmue III will have more shops
  • There is a greater emphasis on training
  • Food will play a bigger role in Shenmue III
  • The inventory system is more complex
  • Shenmue III has over 500 NPCs
  • Shenmue III makes use of the right analog stick to look around
  • "Children are reviewing synchronized kata. Passersby circulate here and there. Smoke escapes from the chimneys of these few small houses. In short, there is life and attention to detail that, once again, remind us of the long hours spent in Shenmue 1 & 2 to discover the charm of their surroundings. "
  • You go to the village dojo to participate in mini games to increase Ryo's training level

Interesting details. Why are they not showed this to the public? :-/

Back