NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

Something to keep in mind as well is that it seems they've still not implemented eye shading on NPCs which despite being a tiny detail, makes a world of difference in how natural the models look.

Before:
9f5bb41724.png

After:
d15b1d2aef.png

I'm sure it'll be present in the final version of the game. It's just worth remembering what difference such a small detail can make. Truly nothing is final until the game ships.
Bang on. Remember Lan Di's eyes in last year's Gamescom trailer? Same issue, now fixed.

@Zoyous Btw, Isn't Sega Hi Tech Land a real estate property you can be rewarded with in Yakuza 0 for doing the Real Estate quests?

Also almost every real life picture of a high tech land Ive seen only had mechanical machines instead of video games.

Last edited:
@Zoyous Btw, Isn't Sega Hi Tech Land a real estate property you can be rewarded with in Yakuza 0 for doing the Real Estate quests?

Also almost every real life picture of a high tech land Ive seen only had mechanical machines instead of video games.

I haven't played Yakuza 0 yet, but that's very cool if so. Another nod to Hi-Tech Land in Sega's history is the game Alex Kidd in High Tech World, where the goal is to solve a series of puzzles in Alex's castle so he can go to the arcade.

People seem to forget that Yu has stated that he worries about visuals last, according to his development method. I believe that is what was determined.

That being said, I believe the NPCs and even Ryo himself will have a fair bit of improvement and polish over these coming months. 3-4 months is ample time to do a lot of tweaks, improvements, etc.

I haven't played Yakuza 0 yet, but that's very cool if so. Another nod to Hi-Tech Land in Sega's history is the game Alex Kidd in High Tech World, where the goal is to solve a series of puzzles in Alex's castle so he can go to the arcade.

View attachment 2684

That's friggin Awesome!

Also, I was right.

Yakuza 0 spoiler:

"After you unlock the Real Estate Royal, return to SEGA HIGH-TECH LAND while you're taking down the Electronics King and Luka will gift you the SEGA HIGH-TECH Land property."

Screen_Shot_2017-02-03_at_10.52.44_AM.png

Yes, and it's the name of all the arcades you can visit in every Yakuza game. I am wondering if this is a reference to the Yakuza series.

No, both are references to an actual chain of Sega arcades from the 90s and early 2000s. But I think in previous Yakuza games they've had Club Sega, which is what some Hi-Tech Land locations were converted into.

Yeah in modern Yakuza games, it's Club Sega. Which are still around today in Japan...in fact, I'll probably be at a Club Sega in Akiba in an hour or so :)

Awesome news and exciting screens. It looks better than I thought it was going to look a few years ago, that's for sure. It's been said dozens of times already but the art style of Shenmue III really feels like a natural continuation of the Dreamcast games, executed with modern technology. It seems like they've really captured the vibrant look of Shenmue II in particular, but taken it to new heights -- same with the characters. It feels like the manga/anime dial has been increased slightly with each game: Shenmue I 85% realistic 15% anime, Shenmue II 80% realistic 20% anime, Shenmue III 75% realistic 25% anime (maybe even 70%/30%). But it works and still looks distinctly Shenmue.

Interesting that forklift driving will be part of the main quest in some capacity. As long as it isn't a mandatory 5 days working 9 to 5, with not much to do in between, then it should be fine :p

I don't want to kickstart another argument, but it's not just the eyes for me. It's the flat textureless skin, the plastic looking hair, the facial design, the lack of detail. It's lots of things. Like I said, I'm not shitting on the game, I am incredibly excited for it and think environments look gorgeous, that doesn't mean I can't think some models don't look great.

Awesome news and exciting screens. It looks better than I thought it was going to look a few years ago, that's for sure. It's been said dozens of times already but the art style of Shenmue III really feels like a natural continuation of the Dreamcast games, executed with modern technology. It seems like they've really captured the vibrant look of Shenmue II in particular, but taken it to new heights -- same with the characters. It feels like the manga/anime dial has been increased slightly with each game: Shenmue I 85% realistic 15% anime, Shenmue II 80% realistic 20% anime, Shenmue III 75% realistic 25% anime (maybe even 70%/30%). But it works and still looks distinctly Shenmue.

Interesting that forklift driving will be part of the main quest in some capacity. As long as it isn't a mandatory 5 days working 9 to 5, with not much to do in between, then it should be fine :p
For me it looks like the dreamcast games but on steroids. Everything turned up and Yu can reach his vision.

The art style is perfect and everyone I've seen says the games looks like and feels like Shenmue. That in itself is confirmation enough for me.

Wonder what comes next though. I get the feeling the push is coming.

I don't want to kickstart another argument, but it's not just the eyes for me. It's the flat textureless skin, the plastic looking hair, the facial design, the lack of detail. It's lots of things. Like I said, I'm not shitting on the game, I am incredibly excited for it and think environments look gorgeous, that doesn't mean I can't think some models don't look great.

I can understand where you're coming from, though personally it doesn't fuss me. It's likely because sacrifices had to be made and I'll take the downgrade on NPC's if the game as a whole is better. Shenmue 2 especially had some very similar NPC looks.

Also the budget likely came into it.

@spud1897 Yeah, like I said, I'm honestly not too bothered by it, I'm just explaining why I personally don't think that particular model looks great. Some models look better than others and overall the game really does maintain the style of the first two games beautifully, which is exactly what I want from Shenmue 3. Shenmue just wouldn't look right if it looked like The Last of Us or something. Of course, it could still look better and not lose the Shenmue feeling, but like you said, it's a Kickstarter game on a budget and for what it is, it looks amazing.

@spud1897 Yeah, like I said, I'm honestly not too bothered by it, I'm just explaining why I personally don't think that particular model looks great. Some models look better than others and overall the game really does maintain the style of the first two games beautifully, which is exactly what I want from Shenmue 3. Shenmue just wouldn't look right if it looked like The Last of Us or something. Of course, it could still look better and not lose the Shenmue feeling, but like you said, it's a Kickstarter game on a budget and for what it is, it looks amazing.
Exactly that. For the budget I think they have squeezed out some insanely good value. Not many studios could do that.

I'm desperate to see it in motion now

I think some of this is a little unfair.

The skin isn't textureless, as we've long established that close up you can see pigmentation detail and minor blemishes. Obviously some of that level of detail doesn't particularly carry well at a distance, depending on your lighting conditions, and in this case the image compression quality.

Similarly the hair... plastic probably isn't the right word, but it's not fully utilising more contemporary hair shaders and design techniques, I guess. There are definitely games with worse hair that didn't attract any undue criticism for it, and realistically, we have to consider the workload when there are 500 NPCs in the game.

I mean it was the same in the originals, really. When working on a scale like that, not all NPCs can have as much love and attention paid to them as main characters or even side characters.

User recieved a 1 week suspension for this post: Baiting
Shame the usual suspects are getting defensive over the subpar visuals again.
Fail to see what's so drastically amazing about them, especially given fan expectations...

For me it looks like the dreamcast games but on steroids. Everything turned up and Yu can reach his vision.

The art style is perfect and everyone I've seen says the games looks like and feels like Shenmue. That in itself is confirmation enough for me.
Exactly. I think it's the perfect way to handle such a far off sequel IMO. It looks amazing, both extremely familiar and extremely improved...

Back