NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

Thanks for everyone's positive comments, glad you enjoyed it.

I was really happy that they had a professional MC who had a good understanding of what Yu was wanting to say. (Ben Judd has vast experience of localizing, translating and moderating in Japan), It can also be instructive to see exactly what Yu's words were on certain topics, so I translated some quotes from him directly.

Writing it up made me realize how much new information Yu shared with us on the game, at an event that pretty much flew in "under the radar" for Shenmue fans.

Not only Shenmue
Not Only Yakuza. Despite always being PS2+ exclusive, a very good, calssic Sega game deserving of Dreamcast :'(

Essentially, niche games with culture and personality and creativity. Much love again to Mark Cerny for not only Yakuza and Shenmue revivals, but guiding Sony back in 2011/2012 to design a great machine like his mentors at Sega.

One dream of mine is to see some people who are good with coding do a port of the PS2 versions of Yakuza 1 and 2 to the Dreamcast. It might take multiple discs but I think that's possible considering the fact that Shenmue is graphically on par with those games.

OK, there's definitely going to be some legit shit going down at E3. Was tempering my expectations before yesterday. PS4, as I called at launch, has become the closest relative to Dreamcast in my eyes, next to OG XB. Never understood the 360 older brother comparison. Seemed to me it was an obsolete holdover from 1st gen Xbox. Perhaps I'm revising my memory, but nothing from 7th gen hgave me Dreamcast vibes. The height of OTS shooter frat gaming.

Not only Shenmue
Not Only Yakuza. Despite always being PS2+ exclusive, a very good, calssic Sega game deserving of Dreamcast :'(
Last Guardian. Ditto
Syberia 3. Ditto.

Essentially, niche games with culture and personality and creativity. Much love again to Mark Cerny for not only Yakuza and Shenmue revivals, but guiding Sony back in 2011/2012 to design a great machine like his mentors at Sega.

Mark Cerny revived not only Yakuza bit Shenmue ?
I think that narrative that Sony is more or less responsible for Shenmue's revival needs to stop. Especially when they've been doing so little and contributing to next to nothing.

It's also a disservice for Shibuya Production and Cedric Biscay who has been working hard to make it happen.

D4D_F_iW4AEkdxq.jpg

D4D_HkgWkAA8CFY.jpg

D4D_JN-X4Aonosb.jpg

D4D_LxCWsAEYUfP.jpg

""It's Interesting to note that in December 2016, Yu Suzuki visited the "Musée Mécanique" in San Francisco. Evidently, the visit has been source of inspiration for Yu San!""" @ShenmueForever

More at Phatomriverstone.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/01/shenmue-3-reward-dinner-in-la-with-yu.html

I wasn't being funny about realtime raytracing for Shenmue III though.
UE 4.22 includes the modules, there are some bugs here and there, and some driver issues, but the workflow is pretty seamless.
Shenmue III will probably have a re-release for the next gen, so I don't see it very crazy.

Ray Tracing is not yet ready for the mass market though. So your comment is still funny in a manner speaking. It is not eve nclear if the so called next gen hardware will support Ray Tracing at all. Maybe in S4 this might be a possibility but not in 3. I also do think they will re release it on the next gen. For a Next Gen Game Shenmue does not look good enough. But let's wait and see.

Yes people love to buy old stuff again, so they port it. I am too old fashioned for that. I keep my old consoles for old games and buy only real current gen stuff on current gen consoles. And you are right Orion we have not even seen the final Ps4 version yet.

I am not worried about the graphics at all btw. I like the current state of the game. And i think the final version will even a better than the current build of the game.

I dont know why some people expect a visual overhaul for Shenmue III in an hypothetical rerelease.
Shenmue III as of today on PS4 (and PC especially) isnt limited by the graphical horsepower but simply by the budget.

As for the visuals of the game, I think that if they dont close the UE4 settings too much, it'll still be possible to push draw distances to crazy levels on PC. And at 4k I'm sure the game will look much better thanks to a better IQ.

i'm pretty sure that Deep Silver is not s big supporter of re releases / remasters on a new console generation.
since 2003 the only games that got a re release / remaster whatever were Metro 2033 / Redux and Saints Row 4
but Metro doesnt count because until 2012 Metro 2033 belonged to THQ USA,
Deep Silver got the rights for Metro Redux in 2013. so Saints Row 4 is the only game i think.

Last edited:
Ray Tracing is not yet ready for the mass market though. So your comment is still funny in a manner speaking. It is not eve nclear if the so called next gen hardware will support Ray Tracing at all. Maybe in S4 this might be a possibility but not in 3. I also do think they will re release it on the next gen. For a Next Gen Game Shenmue does not look good enough. But let's wait and see.
It depends on what the console manufacturers want to include for their GPU, and I think they'll have raytracing capable GPUs.
You don't need to use raytracing for all the illumination, you can use it for certain lights, or reflections.
EDIT: I also hope they don't lock ryo's walking/idle animation to have always close fists (and most of the pics we have seen of him idle/walking have this).

Thanks for everyone's positive comments, glad you enjoyed it.

I was really happy that they had a professional MC who had a good understanding of what Yu was wanting to say. (Ben Judd has vast experience of localizing, translating and moderating in Japan), It can also be instructive to see exactly what Yu's words were on certain topics, so I translated some quotes from him directly.

Writing it up made me realize how much new information Yu shared with us on the game, at an event that pretty much flew in "under the radar" for Shenmue fans.
Great Analysis my friend as always Keep Up The Good Work!!

d5a872ab51d67ba7151e28rkq8.jpg

Honestly, when I see a screenshot like this, the last thing I care about are super advanced pixel pushing bells and whistles.

There's a real artistry here that creates a mood and aesthetic that's worth more than that, IMO.

Trust me. Once I'll post a shitload of downsampled 4k screenshots, you'll change your tune on how the art shines even more when you can see all the details they pour into it :D

Specially since PC is the best bet to future proof the game and not rely on cash-ins (that's usually reserved for first party games).
I'd love for Shenmue to do the FFXV approach, having 4K textures (or whatever source they work on) as a DLC.
I don't see how having more accurate lighting would kill the aesthetic.

D4D_F_iW4AEkdxq.jpg

D4D_HkgWkAA8CFY.jpg

D4D_JN-X4Aonosb.jpg

D4D_LxCWsAEYUfP.jpg

""It's Interesting to note that in December 2016, Yu Suzuki visited the "Musée Mécanique" in San Francisco. Evidently, the visit has been source of inspiration for Yu San!""" @ShenmueForever

More at Phatomriverstone.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/01/shenmue-3-reward-dinner-in-la-with-yu.html

@Switch
Great job on the amazing analysis! And all the work you do in general.

That said:

I dont think its road racer, but I think it works very similarly.

For example, QTE Title IS big title. Same art, same cabinet design. Same Font, same mascot, same everything except the title, and I bet the game in real life even uses the same insults and voice lines.

The car game is clearly inspired by road racer but it could not be actually road racer in the same way qte title is big title. It has similar art but it could actually pretty different, also the cabinet design is completely different as well.

So for all intents and purproses I think it's a road racer clone but not going to work 100% like that game. Might be more or less advanced. Considering the play area and thr reation area look more modern in the Shenmue 3 version, I will say it plays more advanced.

Another alternate take and maybe more likely if you think about it, is it IS Road Racer, but it's a sequel. Road Racer 2.
Many other games in the Hi-Tech Land Panda are sequels, it make s sense that road racer would be as well.

Last edited:
Trust me. Once I'll post a shitload of downsampled 4k screenshots, you'll change your tune on how the art shines even more when you can see all the details they pour into it :D
Oh there's no doubt about the detail in the art, I was referring more to the offhand discussion about ray tracing.

Back