NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

Shame the usual suspects are getting defensive over the subpar visuals again.
Fail to see what's so drastically amazing about them, especially given fan expectations...
Your petty attempts to reignite arguments after they've been settled aren't going to be tolerated. Take a week.

Is it always the same suspects that handwave any critic of the game ?
YS actually adressed it in the talk, he basically said that some guys on the team were good doing fantasy (shrek stuff) and some other better at doing realistic stuff and he tried to make the best out of the situation.

Taste is different of course. But the discussion about the visuals is getting boring. Many people love to nitpick about the visuals but before doing so, they should think what they want. A game with the Shenmue type visuals just improved ( that's what we get, at least it seems that way) or the plain boring AAA game style were they scan real life people that play the characters.

This would cost way too much for kickstarter game, and it would not be like Shenmue. do you guys really want a game that looks good by todays standard but does not look like Shenemue at all?

If you want that it is ok, as I said taste is different. But still we should really think about the things we want.

Which game with fantasy visuals, without the use of modern day actors and facial capture technology looks better than Shenmue in your opinion?

Last edited:
Guys, we already have a dedicated thread to discuss visuals and character models. I created it for the sole purpose of not diverted other topics into this area.

http://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/siii-character-model-discussion.402/

Post comparisons, changes, suggestions in there, but please be respectful to one another. The OP of the thread should hopefully provide some reassurance to those who are worried about the visuals etc.

We have a ton of new info regarding Shenmue 3 from the Reboot conference. Lets focus and speculate on that. I'm sure there's a ton of secrets in those new screenshots and power point slides that we're missing.

Anymore bickering about character models and im sending my mate after you.

D3-U2feW0AAbvA4.jpg:large

Back on topic.

People seem to forget that Yu has stated that he worries about visuals last, according to his development method. I believe that is what was determined.

That being said, I believe the NPCs and even Ryo himself will have a fair bit of improvement and polish over these coming months. 3-4 months is ample time to do a lot of tweaks, improvements, etc.

Indeed, Yu Suzuki-samas outer to inner development method may very well bring even more drastic improvements towards release. Also, some of the models in snapshots and other media feature older models, as referenced by previewers who cited their demos featured much improved in-game characters.

Also, Shenmue III may probably get a nice remaster for PS5 like GTA and other Open Worlds have done to maximize ROI. Patience is a Wude...

Finally, some solid information about the gameplay. Now we really have a very good idea what this game is gonna play like in a lot of aspects.

Sounds to be gravitating a lot more toward RPG mechanics, Yakuza-style, minus the random battle encounters of course. August can't come fast enough.

Recalling from memory (will check the VOD if available later), but Yu said there are 20 people outside the studio playing the game and he's very pleased that each of them are finding their own solutions to the same problems. That's his vision of open world games.

So where exactly did you read that?
Wasn't he talking about the size of the development team?!

I don't know why banning someone for pointing out that the characters have disparity of looks/quality/aesthetics when even YS when out of the way to explain why (and seemed like he also talked about it offstage with the translator).

I don't know why banning someone for pointing out that the characters have disparity of looks/quality/aesthetics when even YS when out of the way to explain why (and seemed like he also talked about it offstage with the translator).
Hey, it wasn't that. Kodama was trying to passive aggressively reignite an argument that was shut down a few pages ago. That's why he was suspended.

As not to continue derailing the thread, I'm happy to clarify over PM if you like.

OK, there's definitely going to be some legit shit going down at E3. Was tempering my expectations before yesterday. PS4, as I called at launch, has become the closest relative to Dreamcast in my eyes, next to OG XB. Never understood the 360 older brother comparison. Seemed to me it was an obsolete holdover from 1st gen Xbox. Perhaps I'm revising my memory, but nothing from 7th gen hgave me Dreamcast vibes. The height of OTS shooter frat gaming.

Not only Shenmue
Not Only Yakuza. Despite always being PS2+ exclusive, a very good, calssic Sega game deserving of Dreamcast :'(
Last Guardian. Ditto
Syberia 3. Ditto.

Essentially, niche games with culture and personality and creativity. Much love again to Mark Cerny for not only Yakuza and Shenmue revivals, but guiding Sony back in 2011/2012 to design a great machine like his mentors at Sega.

Switch's write-up actually brought something else to my attention:

Shenmue-Datetime.png

March 21st, 1987. That's a very short time after the Shenmue II start date. In fact, (assuming no glitches) it's only a few days after the earliest possible end to Shenmue II (assuming a February 23rd start).

Back