Next Big Shenmue update... March '19, with details Feb '19

Will be interesting to see the S3 marketing strategy moving forward, since it’s been reported Sony won’t be at E3 this year. Do they just go ahead with a big reveal at MAGIC or try to work out something big with Sony or the PC industry later? Lots up in the air at this point.

Sony's plans are irrelevant to be honest, even as a marketing partner. Deep Silver is the publisher and so the responsibility of promoting Shenmue III rests heaviest on them. Where they go, I expect the game will follow. We already know it's set to appear at multiple events on the run up to launch, and E3 may be one of them regardless of what Sony does or doesn't do in its place.

Actually on the subject of Deep Silver, the implication that the MAGIC showing has been coordinated with them gives me great hope for the content to be revealed. Hopefully saying this won't come back to haunt me, but I feel gameplay of some kind is a lock.

They won't blow their whole wad on an event of MAGIC's size though, so don't set expectations too high for a comprehensive reveal. Some things will be saved for later, or even release.

Sony's plans are irrelevant to be honest, even as a marketing partner. Deep Silver is the publisher and so the responsibility of promoting Shenmue III rests heaviest on them. Where they go, I expect the game will follow. We already know it's set to appear at multiple events on the run up to launch, and E3 may be one of them regardless of what Sony does or doesn't do in its place.

Actually on the subject of Deep Silver, the implication that the MAGIC showing has been coordinated with them gives me great hope for the content to be revealed. Hopefully saying this won't come back to haunt me, but I feel gameplay of some kind is a lock.

They won't blow their whole wad on an event of MAGIC's size though, so don't set expectations too high for a comprehensive reveal. Some things will be saved for later, or even release.
Even tho I agree with what you said about Sony, I hope they also help with the promotion.
It would be a great help!

To bring you back down to Earth, I think he's been criticized for such antics on Twitter in the past. Not that liking a tweet is an antic by any means, but people over-analyze his every move. Just trying to provide some hope in this time of need...

To bring you back down to Earth, I think he's been criticized for such antics on Twitter in the past. Not that liking a tweet is an antic by any means, but people over-analyze his every move. Just trying to provide some hope in this time of need...
You're quite right given last year at Monaco.

I have to say I'm much more confident that this year they will show something significant.

No point reading into likes when we're set to get specifics in just over two weeks, but I think Cedric is absolutely on the level by implying something meaningful will be coming to MAGIC this time.

There is a lot unsaid about the actual hows and whys of Shenmue III's showing at MAGIC last year, and even at the time it was implied by info passed to Gameblog that something was pulled.

If there's a united front between Ys Net, Shibuya, and crucially Deep Silver; I don't expect a repeat of 2018.

The simple fact is that Shenmue 3 is due for release in a matter of months, and without E3 to showcase it at, opportunities to do that at a live event are scarce. They can't fumble this one, and I'd say all involved behind the scenes know they have to pull together to start the hype train rolling. March is a perfect time for that, so I will say they will be ready. The press conference in a couple of weeks should give us an idea of what's going on, so until then, I'd say remain positive. You never know what surprises could be in store.

The simple fact is that Shenmue 3 is due for release in a matter of months, and without E3 to showcase it at

Wait, what? Why wouldn't Shenmue 3 be at E3? Just because Sony won't be there, doesn't mean Deep Silver or THQ Nordic can't be there to showcase the game. Unless they've said otherwise?

I think it's the difference between having it on the show floor, competing with other games for journalists' time and attention, and being broadcast live from a stage conference that's a public focal point

Shenmue III could absolutely show up at E3. By the time E3 is here, the game will be about 2 months from release. I'd go as far as to say instead of a demo, a near complete version of the full game will likely be playable at E3.

Shenmue III could absolutely show up at E3. By the time E3 is here, the game will be about 2 months from release. I'd go as far as to say instead of a demo, a near complete version of the full game will likely be playable at E3.
E3 is a good event for previews, as you're effectively getting a huge amount of the games press in one location over the course of a few days.

Regardless of Sony's plans, I don't think Deep Silver will leave the game behind for E3.

Possible Plans
February: Magic Plan Reveal
March: Gameplay Reveal
April: Beta Demo Reveal
May: Beta Demo Release
June: Official Trailer Reveal
July: Final Demo Release
August: Final Game Release

Many are forgetting to take into consideration Sony's possible hand in this scenario.

No, they won't be at E3. However, they could easily do a PlayStation Direct(or whatever moniker they come up with) before or around E3. It has been successful for Nintendo for quite some time.

Shenmue would definitely be present in that presentation, I would think. If they used that stage to announce the demo, rather than MAGIC, it may go an even longer way to help promote.

Many are forgetting to take into consideration Sony's possible hand in this scenario.

No, they won't be at E3. However, they could easily do a PlayStation Direct(or whatever moniker they come up with) before or around E3. It has been successful for Nintendo for quite some time.

Shenmue would definitely be present in that presentation, I would think. If they used that stage to announce the demo, rather than MAGIC, it may go an even longer way to help promote.

Could happen. Imagine if PlayStation and Nintendo hit the masses with back to back Direct announcements. Shenmue I & II Switch + Ryo Hazuki in Smash Bros and Shenmue III Trailer + Demo on PS4 OUT NOW.

Could be a big marketing win for all. One can dream.

I do not think that Sony will Play a big part with Shenmue 3 anymore. Yes they helped with the announcement back in 2015 but that's it then. They never mentioned S3 again in their Events. It is not a part of their Portfolio. They do not threat it like their other exclusives. I am not saying this because I am anti Sony guy. I am a Play Station User since the Ps1 and have used all Playstation consoles. I am a mulitplattform guy though and also enjoy playing on my Xbox One and on the 360, but all in all, Playstation will be my console of choice. I have nothing against Sony, and having a big Company like Sony behind S3 would be great. But you have to be realistic, Shemue 3 is not that important for Sony.

Everything depends on Deep Silver now.

Back