Random Shenmue III Thoughts

EGvus9HWoAERgRl.jpg

Better look at the back of the pre-order box from Twitter.

For those that it's important to; note the SEGA logo.

SEGA yet no Deep Silver? I'm sure the final box will probably look like that but I'd be surprised if there is no Deep Silver logo in place of that Sega logo...I mean Pre Order boxes aren't always entirely final.

SEGA yet no Deep Silver? I'm sure the final box will probably look like that but I'd be surprised if there is no Deep Silver logo in place of that Sega logo...I mean Pre Order boxes aren't always entirely final.
Probably DS and YS Net are in the front

Probably DS and YS Net are in the front
Correct. Deep Silver and Ys Net's logo are on the front as the developer and publisher.

That SEGA logo isn't going anywhere. It's likely contractual, as they're the IP holder.

Deep Silver and Koch are mentioned in the bottom left corner, for whatever it's worth. The time to run from the Dojo may be coming...

Hell yeah, a Shenmue game needs that Sega logo. Oddly enough, I can't see the YS Net logo on the back of the box. :p

Edit :Yeah, it's probably on the front side.

Correct. Deep Silver and Ys Net's logo are on the front as the developer and publisher.

That SEGA logo isn't going anywhere. It's likely contractual, as they're the IP holder.

And yet, they weren't anywhere to be seen on the splash logos at the beginning of the trial demo? I figured the lack of SEGA logo at the beginning of the trial was kind of telling...<shrugs> will wait and see I guess...usually those pre order boxes aren't always final.

It's strange...there is still SEGA branding here and there throughout the game (obviously based on screenshots and the capsule toy machines having the brand name on them) but no splash logo at beginning of trial....yet logo on the box art? Weirdly inconsistent.

No big deal really, just think it's a little bizarre.

I'm sure the general layout will probably be the same and all but considering it's lacking all the other pre-requisite details (HDD Requirements, Rating, Remote Play Compatible etc) I can't imagine it's final...I'd be shocked if SEGA's logo is on the final cover...I really would be. (to some degree)

Last edited:
The back of that box in particular is a pre-order box for use in stores, hence no barcode. They would have been printed weeks if not months ago.

Sega are being a bit odd about this. I've not looked into the datamined thread but I watched the game informer Shenmue III round table, and it's strange they gave him permission for the IP, to use posters from other Sega IP, but not any Sega capsule toys. Even though Sega's branding is on the capsule toy machine itself, and QTE title is a genuine Sega unit.

I'd agree that as you say, it's weirdly inconsistent.

The back of that box in particular is a pre-order box for use in stores, hence no barcode. They would have been printed weeks if not months ago.

Sega are being a bit odd about this. I've not looked into the datamined thread but I watched the game informer Shenmue III round table, and it's strange they gave him permission for the IP, to use posters from other Sega IP, but not any Sega capsule toys. Even though Sega's branding is on the capsule toy machine itself, and QTE title is a genuine Sega unit.

I'd agree that as you say, it's weirdly inconsistent.

Yeah, it is a little weird...They clearly don't have much involvement at all outside of giving him the IP (I'm sure they're getting a cut somewhere...I can't imagine they just gave it to him for free)

It's like they weren't willing to go balls deep in it. Which is a bit of a shame...I can't see why they couldn't just let him use the SEGA branded capsule toys in good faith...although maybe there are reasons for that as well? (Could be corporate reasons)

Maybe they tried but permission wasn't granted somewhere down the line? Or maybe some within the company were hesitant...I don't know...I'm sure there are reasons....but it is weirdly inconsistent as to what they could and couldn't use. Like I said, probably many reasons for it that we don't know and may never know...unless one of the two parties talks about it.

It seems to me that Sega's involvement is bigger than we thought at first.

As we already know, they helped with marketing at TGS, and in the Game Informer Shenmue lll preview, one of the Bens said that Sega definitely has a role in this. (he also said Sony is helping out)
We just don't know precisely how these companies are involved and the details.

Shenmue lll business side of things is just plain crazy.

Ive had the feeling for a couple years now about Sega's oddly inconsistent involvement. What licensing there is in the game is either very low cost or free; whereas legit full versions of VF, Outrun, Power Drift, etc would've eaten way too much of the budget.

And yet, they weren't anywhere to be seen on the splash logos at the beginning of the trial demo? I figured the lack of SEGA logo at the beginning of the trial was kind of telling...<shrugs> will wait and see I guess...usually those pre order boxes aren't always final.
Again - the logo is likely on the box as contractual obligation, as they own the IP.

It was the same for Bayonetta 2, despite being financed and published by Nintendo. No idea if the splash screen featured SEGA's logo or not for that game, but it was in the credits and we can probably expect the same for Shenmue III.

Again - the logo is likely on the box as contractual obligation, as they own the IP.

It was the same for Bayonetta 2, despite being financed and published by Nintendo. No idea if the splash screen featured SEGA's logo or not for that game, but it was in the credits and we can probably expect the same for Shenmue III.
I dunno if Sega's logo is in the actual game but its on both the back boxart for the Switch and Wii U version of Bayonetta 2, as well as in some of the Bayonetta 2 trailers, IIRC.

I don't think they particularly care or obsess over it like we do. Koch has a folder of media assets and marketing staff likely don't know the distinction between what's old or not. Just the other day one of their Twitter accounts posted a batch of shots released at Gamescom and said they were fresh out of TGS instead. Nobody really made a fuss, and a few sites reported on it along with Joel's "going Gold" email.

It's annoying seeing 2017 renders floating around still in some cases, but the examples of the back of the box aren't particularly egregious at least.

Back