Random Shenmue III Thoughts

So what do you guys think a Side Quest will look like in Shenmue III? I was thinking about it while cleaning up some of Yakuza 3's side quests the other day.

We know that the game has side quests to some degree (based on the back end Steam achievements, I hope I'm not spoiling that for anyone)

But what do you think they'll be? Fetch quests? Or traditional Shenmue fashioned hidden fights and random scenes that you may not have seen unless you went out of your way for them?

I do hope the game has some secrets buried within that they haven't even mentioned yet...the Duck Racing was a nice surprise in Shenmue II as was, so I hope there is something akin to that waiting to be found in Shenmue III for those who dig deep into it.

Think the game will telegraph any of it or will it be "find it for yourself" like it was in the original game?

Also QTE events. Think the QTE Events from Shenmue II will make a return? (the ones that stop the action and ask you to repeat them quickly) or will it be standard Shenmue 1 style QTE's only?

Actually we know there are 20+ side quests. This could be huge, "if" they are like Shenmue 2 type side quests, which is my hope, and the biggest fear I have, that it wont be.

I hope most of these quests aren't generic, and are both complex, and organic.

I am more worried that they just straight up didnt send review copies so we wont even see reviews until a few days after release. I think bloodstained did that.

I don't think its a case that they didn't send review copies. But there is an embargo.

I am more worried that they just straight up didnt send review copies so we wont even see reviews until a few days after release. I think bloodstained did that.

I don't think Bloodstained did that. The embargo was release day though, if I remember correctly.

Deep Silver have gone with a release day embargo because they're worried about negative reviews. Sorry, I mean "it's to respect the backers who might not have received their games". I don't think it's a blanket Deep Silver policy like it is with Bethesda, so they do it on a case by case basis where they figure negative reactions could influence pre-order cancellations. Just like Sega do it on a case-by-case basis. Sonic Mania? "Sure, review it a week before release." Sonic Forces? "Oh no, you can't review that before the release date, because we have a day one patch planned..." *wink* *wink*

Sorry, I hope people don't think I'm being negative. There's no doubt in my mind Shenmue 3 will be amazing, but it wouldn't surprise me if Deep Silver want to supress potentially negative reviews until after the game's release.

Last edited:
They will probably get them this week. Id say a 7 day period would be the norm for Deep Silver.

I understand the worry, but it's something that's out of my control so what's the point. I have enough to worry about lol
no worries here haha, whos betting there will be some sort of leaks this week? I'll be more and more careful about what pages I open online this week! Theres bound to be some wise-guy that posts an early review or some sort of spoiler

Really wish they could have sent review copies earlier... I mean, like Suzuki recently said; "if you rush through the game, you'll only experience 20% of what it has to offer" (paraphrased).

(I'll just add 80% to every review)
^this is a joke

I don't think Bloodstained did that. The embargo was release day though, if I remember correctly.

Deep Silver have gone with a release day embargo because they're worried about negative reviews. Sorry, I mean "it's to respect the backers who might not have received their games". I don't think it's a blanket Deep Silver policy like it is with Bethesda, so they do it on a case by case basis where they figure negative reactions could influence pre-order cancellations. Just like Sega do it on a case-by-case basis. Sonic Mania? "Sure, review it a week before release." Sonic Forces? "Oh no, you can't review that before the release date, because we have a day one patch planned..." *wink* *wink*

Sorry, I hope people don't think I'm being negative. There's no doubt in my mind Shenmue 3 will be amazing, but it wouldn't surprise me if Deep Silver want to supress potentially negative reviews until after the game's release.
We all know Shenmue III will attract negative reviews because of what it is, so its smart business. Secondly they're trying to get influencers to play the game. They tweeted out asking for people who stream.

Anyway as you said we know Shenmue III will smash it out the park. So I say fuck it, an 18 year dream will be realised and no embargo, reviews or any other shit will spoil it!

I hope I can beat Death Stranding in time for shenmue, I'm adoring it far more than I expected like its shockingly fun, but school is destroying my free time so I don't think I can beat this massive game in a week, hell I don't know how much free time I even have for 3 itself.

College is a nightmare I cannot awake from, ignoring the existential dread at the prospect of needing to find a career and livelihood I cant wait till this semester is over and I can graduate in a few weeks.

They're fixing broken pipes in my apartment, they tore down part of the living room wall to get to it... If they decide it's time to fix said wall on the 19th I'm going to be so mad.

Nah, you're talking pish sorry. There's been an enormous amount of goodwill towards the game.
At the start, legitimate questions were asked about funding; that was definitely the correct approach to take. That wasn't about dissing shenmue, it was about making sure people knew where their money was going.

As far as negative previews of the game go, every one I've read, even the most negative of takeaways, has also been open about the game appealing to folk like us who are already into the series. Again, this is fair enough.

If anyone has been unduly critical to a point of genuine ridiculousness, it's usually kids on youtube looking for cheap hits.

Sorry, I was with you to a point, but there was a load of disingenuous, misleading shite published by supposed "journalists"... Like, the whole "Sony is secretly funding it" angle or what about the "Slacker Backers won't get their rewards" angle?

Last edited:
Also QTE events. Think the QTE Events from Shenmue II will make a return? (the ones that stop the action and ask you to repeat them quickly) or will it be standard Shenmue 1 style QTE's only?

I LOVE CQTEs! Please, please still be there. One of my favorite changes from the first game. It was an ingenius physical act to use the lessons from Master Tao, whcich were alluded to in the Hazuki Dojo/House wall-scrolls. Not keeping calm and mind clear, etc. made them much more difficult than necessary. If you did, if you were serene and in-tune--meditative almost--they were simple as cake. Same applies to regular QTEs, but not to as big an extent.

Sorry, I was with you to a point, but there was a load of disingenuous, misleading shite published by supposed "journalists"... Like, the whole "Sony is secretly funding it" angle or whatabout the "Slacker Backers won't get their rewards" angle?

Forgot my favourite one of all. The obligatory "Shenmue 3 isn't going to conclude the series" article that has been posted as if it's news every other month for the past four years.

Back