Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Nah, you're talking pish sorry. There's been an enormous amount of goodwill towards the game.
At the start, legitimate questions were asked about funding; that was definitely the correct approach to take. That wasn't about dissing shenmue, it was about making sure people knew where their money was going.

As far as negative previews of the game go, every one I've read, even the most negative of takeaways, has also been open about the game appealing to folk like us who are already into the series. Again, this is fair enough.

If anyone has been unduly critical to a point of genuine ridiculousness, it's usually kids on youtube looking for cheap hits.
I agree with the YouTube bit.

The rest well it's been going on for 4 years. First media spreading inaccurate information about who was funding what.

Secondly how many of these negative articles even use current screens? Come on. Some are stuck on 2017 pictures.

Thirdly the breaking of the "Shenmue III wont conclude the series" no shit sherlock. Acting like it's a shock when it isn't. I appreciate that for new fans it's good to know but the tone of this articles is consistently derogatory.

The epic controversy, how many articles said Steam was promised during the kickstarter when it wasnt, people assumed steam at the time. The surveys etc fair enough.

The USGamer preview where she took a massive shit on the game, was then challenged and then admitted she hated the first games anyway & then deleted said comment.

Not all journalists are like of course not but we've seen our fair share of ones who have simply written things for a reaction and Shenmue has, for years, been a go to for that in the gaming media.

I'd love to be able to defend games journalism. I have no intention of hating anyone. I'd love it if they weren't shit. There are exceptions, but the vast majority manage to limbo under what low expectations I have for them. It's sad.

Just FYI @Spaghetti I wasn't laughing at your point or anything, I was laughing at the "there has a been spectacular amount of ass-showing from the profession" line. It's great. ๐Ÿ‘Œ
That's fine.

I couldn't really think of a better way to describe it tbh. Those early days of "OMG SONY FUNDING THE GAME" stuff really just soured me on the quality of reporting being done, because half the time journos were just citing each other from different sources, until it finally came down to a writer's conjecture based on vague comments from Sony.

Like this stuff was categorically disproven multiple times, especially once the fans got involved asking questions to Cedric; who often gave very blunt and definitive answers about what was correct and what was not.

Nah, you're talking pish sorry. There's been an enormous amount of goodwill towards the game.
At the start, legitimate questions were asked about funding; that was definitely the correct approach to take. That wasn't about dissing shenmue, it was about making sure people knew where their money was going.
Initial questions are why the budget statement was produced early in the Kickstarter. Didn't really stop the press just running with whatever they felt like before and after though. Patrick Klepek at Kotaku pretty flatly came to the conclusion that Sony were providing all the funding outside of Kickstarter thanks to some incredibly vague comments from Sony. This sort of reporting went on for a long time without anybody really bothering to probe into the specifics.

A lot of the press simply just regurgitated that article and the Polygon one floating around at the time, without them actually proving, well, anything. It's unfortunately why, despite multiple instances of it being disproven, the myth that Sony partly funded the game continues. The press said what they wanted to, didn't follow up, and just cited inaccurate articles from each other over and over.

Pretty sure a journo from a semi-major publication plucked a figure out of the air that Sony were providing and just ran with it like fact. No source, just conjecture. They later strutted around in 2017 with the "I WAS RIGHT" stuff once Deep Silver joined the project... despite this actually disproving that Sony's money was backing the project up all along, and completely ignoring that this additional investor was only found two years after the Kickstarter completed and not waiting in the shadows this whole time.

The "SLACKER BACKERS WON'T GET THEIR REWARDS" reporting that's already been mentioned was kind of the final nail in the coffin for expecting fairness from the games press. Some major publications ran with that story, which hinged entirely on misrepresenting the truth and not literally spending a minute reading a previous KS update to understand the context. It was beyond shameful work from publications you would expect better of.

That's not even to mention Eurogamer's (who have had generally great coverage of S3 since) awful "I could do with a bit more money!" headline in a late 2015 interview with Yu Suzuki. The interview itself was great and revealed the personal lengths Yu was pushing himself to with an intense work schedule, but the headline was awful exploitation of the hubbub that came around months before that, and made the discourse around the content beyond toxic and just another stick to beat the project and its creator with.

And like... it's not as if these things have only been proved untrue with time. They were bullshit when they were written. Fans knew it, and we had sources to back it up, but any attempts to speak about it were basically met with ridicule from journos on Twitter doing "lol, fanboys, you don't know anything, *I* understand the industry much better than you" mockery instead of even considering for a second they might have been wrong.

I was there, I saw that shit happening in 2015, and I largely got involved in the community because of it. I'm glad you have a more positive experience knowing games media people personally, but for many of us our opinions were soured by the shockingly bad standard of reporting in the early days; some of which has continued to follow the game ever since.

Thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m just waiting for 3. Forcing myself to play through Shenmue in a crunch will just put me in a bad mood. Better to enjoy the recap and enjoy the new ride...

I have a game save that starts right at Master Baihu so I think I'm going to whoop his ass, whoop Dou Niu's ass and go straight to Guilin and then segway into 3. It was weird when I beat II again after all those years knowing when I get to the end I wouldn't have that empty feeling in my stomach because there was no sequel in sight.

Life is good :)

P.S: probably best we draw a line under the games journalist stuff for now anyway.

It's clear there are going to be different opinions of the press based on proximity and experience with them in the past. Many of us who have been here long enough know there's definitely a dark half to the story, but we shouldn't tar the lot with the same brush.

Take it to PMs if needed or desired, but there are better ways to spend the week before release than dragging up the frustrating history this community has with the games press.

I LOVE CQTEs! Please, please still be there. One of my favorite changes from the first game. It was an ingenius physical act to use the lessons from Master Tao, whcich were alluded to in the Hazuki Dojo/House wall-scrolls. Not keeping calm and mind clear, etc. made them much more difficult than necessary. If you did, if you were serene and in-tune--meditative almost--they were simple as cake. Same applies to regular QTEs, but not to as big an extent.

I hope we get the same type of QTE beeping noises as the first two. However if Disk 4 is anything to go by, the noise might change.

I agree with the YouTube bit.

The rest well it's been going on for 4 years. First media spreading inaccurate information about who was funding what.

Secondly how many of these negative articles even use current screens? Come on. Some are stuck on 2017 pictures.

Thirdly the breaking of the "Shenmue III wont conclude the series" no shit sherlock. Acting like it's a shock when it isn't. I appreciate that for new fans it's good to know but the tone of this articles is consistently derogatory.

The epic controversy, how many articles said Steam was promised during the kickstarter when it wasnt, people assumed steam at the time. The surveys etc fair enough.

The USGamer preview where she took a massive shit on the game, was then challenged and then admitted she hated the first games anyway & then deleted said comment.

Not all journalists are like of course not but we've seen our fair share of ones who have simply written things for a reaction and Shenmue has, for years, been a go to for that in the gaming media.

Yea, I can't fathum how a single person can dare say, Journalists have been mostly professional/fair.

To add to all that, you can tell that many have never played a Shenmue game(or they hated it back in the day, so they dropped), nor do they want to even cover it, by making stupid false claims like "Yakuza does it better". They're not even in the same genre for crying out loud(Like I said, I seriously think when haters see a Shenmue game, they ignore everything but martial arts based fights, and mini games).

There's no way anyone can claim those unicks are being fair to Shenmue. Journalists only care about clicks, so if It's not trying to appeal to literally everyone, they're going to down play it, if not downrigh bash, and smear it(sigh like they have been doing to Shenmue 3).

I just wanted to add that the gaming media's unfair treatment of Shenmue has been going on for far longer than the Shenmue III Kickstarter has even existed, such as Jeff Gerstmann calling Shenmue "a fucking bullshit forklift simulator for assholes" and the G4 television show Filter naming Shenmue the second worst game of all time. So, sorry if us Shenmue fans don't exactly have a high opinion of the gaming media and "journalism."

That's fine.

I couldn't really think of a better way to describe it tbh. Those early days of "OMG SONY FUNDING THE GAME" stuff really just soured me on the quality of reporting being done, because half the time journos were just citing each other from different sources, until it finally came down to a writer's conjecture based on vague comments from Sony.

Like this stuff was categorically disproven multiple times, especially once the fans got involved asking questions to Cedric; who often gave very blunt and definitive answers about what was correct and what was not.

Initial questions are why the budget statement was produced early in the Kickstarter. Didn't really stop the press just running with whatever they felt like before and after though. Patrick Klepek at Kotaku pretty flatly came to the conclusion that Sony were providing all the funding outside of Kickstarter thanks to some incredibly vague comments from Sony. This sort of reporting went on for a long time without anybody really bothering to probe into the specifics.

A lot of the press simply just regurgitated that article and the Polygon one floating around at the time, without them actually proving, well, anything. It's unfortunately why, despite multiple instances of it being disproven, the myth that Sony partly funded the game continues. The press said what they wanted to, didn't follow up, and just cited inaccurate articles from each other over and over.

Pretty sure a journo from a semi-major publication plucked a figure out of the air that Sony were providing and just ran with it like fact. No source, just conjecture. They later strutted around in 2017 with the "I WAS RIGHT" stuff once Deep Silver joined the project... despite this actually disproving that Sony's money was backing the project up all along, and completely ignoring that this additional investor was only found two years after the Kickstarter completed and not waiting in the shadows this whole time.

The "SLACKER BACKERS WON'T GET THEIR REWARDS" reporting that's already been mentioned was kind of the final nail in the coffin for expecting fairness from the games press. Some major publications ran with that story, which hinged entirely on misrepresenting the truth and not literally spending a minute reading a previous KS update to understand the context. It was beyond shameful work from publications you would expect better of.

That's not even to mention Eurogamer's (who have had generally great coverage of S3 since) awful "I could do with a bit more money!" headline in a late 2015 interview with Yu Suzuki. The interview itself was great and revealed the personal lengths Yu was pushing himself to with an intense work schedule, but the headline was awful exploitation of the hubbub that came around months before that, and made the discourse around the content beyond toxic and just another stick to beat the project and its creator with.

And like... it's not as if these things have only been proved untrue with time. They were bullshit when they were written. Fans knew it, and we had sources to back it up, but any attempts to speak about it were basically met with ridicule from journos on Twitter doing "lol, fanboys, you don't know anything, *I* understand the industry much better than you" mockery instead of even considering for a second they might have been wrong.

I was there, I saw that shit happening in 2015, and I largely got involved in the community because of it. I'm glad you have a more positive experience knowing games media people personally, but for many of us our opinions were soured by the shockingly bad standard of reporting in the early days; some of which has continued to follow the game ever since.

I somehow didn't see the article about missing slacker backer rewards. Lmao.

To that I say, check my email from Spiral galaxy confirming shipment of my slackerbacker reward. I guess they're lying to me. bastards.

Will this place be a ghost town next week or will people be playing S3 and typing at the same time?
As much as I want to hunker down while doing my first playthrough, there are a lot of thoughts that only run through a person's head during their first time playing through a game. All of that disappears upon completion. The intensity of our initial emotions are forgotten, mysteries are largely resolved, thoughts fade. I dunno, all those emotional highs and lows are my favorite kinds of impressions to read from other people, so it seems kind of sad to just let it all escape into the ether.

And you know, it's not all just me being selfish here. Yu Suzuki himself said reading/hearing people's impressions AS they play is what he's most looking forward to post release.
PRS: What are you most looking forward to after Shenmue 3's release?

YS
: The thing I'm most looking forward to after the release is hearing everyone's impressions, and watching videos uploaded to the web where players comment as they play through.
So I guess what I'm saying is everyone should come here and blogpost their thoughts and feelings during their first run. Do it for Yu!

Back