Random Shenmue III Thoughts

...even if they were identical and Yakuza WAS INDEED better...
Not trying to tear RGG studio down, but Yakuza already lost objectively by taking a step back in game design and not forward even tho its taken inspiration was from the revolutionary Shenmue. Still hasn't matched Shenmue one even with the latest entry. Only Rock* and RDR2 has seem to caught up at the expense of a 200m$ budget & Suzuki still manage to pull off the spirit at a fraction of their cost which speaks volume about his status as a legendary dev/visionary genius. I can guaranteed YS can blow off the socks of both titles easily if he was given a proper budget and worked with a team full of Am2 quality tier staff members.

But I do look forward to Nagoshi breaking traditions for Y7 and hope it pushes new ground since Turn base RPGs does need a shake up since Square-Enix refuses to experiment anymore nowadays.

Regarding phone calls
Since when does Ryo and Nozomi call each other by their last names? And her mom needs to stop interrupting our calls
Seems to be the result of some kind of fuckery in the translation since they call each other Hazuki-kun and Harasaki in Japanese. I don't know who was in charge of these phone calls, but they screwed them up in a major way. First of all, most of the voices in the English dub sound nothing like the original actors. You would think they would get someone to at least attempt to sound similar to Nozomi from Shenmue I, but instead it's just Random Teenage Girl Voice #7,483.

Secondly, it feels like they just took the Japanese scripts for the calls, ran them through Google Translate, and called it a day. Besides Ryo and Nozomi calling each other by their last names, there's also the Warehouse #8 password. How the hell did it change from "Father's Heaven - Nine Dragons, Mother's Earth - Comrade" to "Father Sky - Nine Dragons, Mother Earth - My Friend?!" It's like whoever was in charge of translating these phone calls never even played Shenmue.

I'm still in Niaowu and I've been enjoying the hell out of the game but the phone calls have been a major disappointment, especially as a fan of the English dubs.

I look at it as a way of creating distance from each other...I don’t know why so many people are surprised, when I think the first game leaned into this notion already that it was something not meant to last and now this is many months and a lot of changes later for the both of them.
I don't know how you can honestly believe that this is in any way realistic or believable. People that are best friends and potential love interests for years don't just start calling each other by their last names because they haven't seen each other in a few months.

Althought, this bring up a point I've been making: English dub was a bad idea. Not only it costed money to make the game a laughing stock, it seems to have introduced translation issues.
How did the English dub introduce translation issues? Surely, the same issues would have been present in the subtitles even if the voices were only in Japanese?

Sure, hearing these mistranslations in Corey Marshall's voice is probably more distracting and perhaps they could be overlooked more if they were just being read in the subtitles, but I don't see how the dub was the cause of them.

What i find really fascinating is hearing people repeat on autopilot the same talking points and narratives that have been cleverly implanted in the media, social media and from "influencers" when it comes to shenmue 3.

They are literally repeating the same thing over and over again like sheep.

It really does show you how people can be manipulated and influenced. Its getting to the point where you can predict all their responses before they actually respond.

Fascinating stuff.

The sterling video. Meh is my response.
He needs the negative perspective to get clicks and get paid. Hes always hated the series and likes to dump on it.

Another interesting observation is how the people who hate and despise shenmue are constantly obsessed with it and need to express their hate for the series at every opportunity. Be it outright attack the series, lie about it and twist facts, create false narratives of pretending they are a fan, when they are actually sneakily trying to sabotage it without being direct, etc etc.

Wtf Madeness lol. Shenmue would make one hell of a case study talking about gamers and the psychology behind their behavior. Especially the stuff i outlined above.

Mindblown lol

Last edited:
What i find really fascinating is hearing people repeat on autopilot the same talking points and narratives that have been cleverly implanted in the media and from "influencers" when it comes to shenmue 3.

It really does show you how people can be manipulated and influenced. Its getting to the point where you can predict all their responses before they actually respond.

[...]

Another interesting observation is how the people who hate and despise shenmue are constantly obsessed with it and need to express their hate for the series at every opportunity. Be it outright attack the series, lie about it and twist facts, create false narratives of pretending they are a fan, when they are actually sneakily trying to sabotage it without being direct etc etc.

Truly astounding how much energy some will expend on something they apparently don't like. Quite childish, isn't it? Like a school yard crush, pretending not to like someone you've a corny, lame ass infatuation with.

This Yakuza comparison has me fed up so much that i sometimes wish that series never fucking existed.
It'd be nice to see some love from Sega & RGG Studios for Shenmue 3. I do get the impression Nagoshi kind of resents Shenmue as well. I've heard mentioning it in an interview really pisses him off, though that could be because he considers it ancient history and a small slice of his career.

But I think they deserve credit for making quirky Japanese games that seem to appeal to Western sensibilities and sell well. I think the gravy train will run out sooner or later if they don't keep innovating, though.

What i find really fascinating is hearing people repeat on autopilot the same talking points and narratives that have been cleverly implanted in the media, social media and from "influencers" when it comes to shenmue 3.

Fascinating stuff.

He needs the negative perspective to get clicks and get paid. Hes always hated the series and likes to dump on it.

Another interesting observation is how the people who hate and despise shenmue are constantly obsessed with it and need to express their hate for the series at every opportunity. Be it outright attack the series, lie about it and twist facts, create false narratives of pretending they are a fan, when they are actually sneakily trying to sabotage it without being direct, etc etc.

Wtf Madeness lol. Shenmue would make one hell of a case study talking about gamers and the psychology behind their behavior. Especially the stuff i outlined above.

Mindblown lol
Fancy going halves on the study lol

Fascinating stuff.

The worse thing is they all think they're clever when they repeat these tired points...like they actually had something original to say when in fact they're just repeating what another said as if it's something of their own.

It is scary how people can be so easily manipulated....almost like the act of thinking for themselves is too scary.

As for Sterling, meh, I'd rather not waste the energy on watching a video seething with hatred purposely designed that way because it's the only way he can get clicks anymore. Like a parasite leeching off an easily inflamed mob.

I'd rather watch a video that has something insightful to say. Like that digitallydownloaded video that had something thoughtful to say about the game instead of just "LoOkS lIkE Ps2 GrApHiCz" or YaKuZa DoEs It bEtTeR (even though I only jumped on the bandwagon at Yakuza 0 and largely flat out ignored those games for many years beforehand and now I think I'm an expert on the series)"

As much as I love Yakuza 0 for giving the series a new spark of life with a new audience...I also kind of hate the fact that it kind of paved the way for this shit where everyone now thinks they're an expert on that series because they played one game from the franchise. I seem to remember a time where the media largely ignored Yakuza. Even gave it wildly mediocre reviews at times. Much to the annoyance of fans such as myself. :D Funny how things change.

The hyperbolic shit gets really tiring...

Last edited:
But I do look forward to Nagoshi breaking traditions for Y7 and hope it pushes new ground since Turn base RPGs does need a shake up since Square-Enix refuses to experiment anymore nowadays.

Uhhh...what? They experiment all the time, even if most of them haven't been good experiments.

So the Avalanche guy we were discussing earlier who said SH3 has better faces and animations.. So I pointed out a detailed face (Tao-Get store dude) but got as a response that his animations suck because his eyebrows don't move when he speaks and said "have you ever tried talking without moving your eyebrows?". So I tried that and talked without moving my eyebrows. So uhhh. Am I a wizard for doing that or is that really uncommon? lol

Seems to be the result of some kind of fuckery in the translation since they call each other Hazuki-kun and Harasaki in Japanese. I don't know who was in charge of these phone calls, but they screwed them up in a major way. First of all, most of the voices in the English dub sound nothing like the original actors. You would think they would get someone to at least attempt to sound similar to Nozomi from Shenmue I, but instead it's just Random Teenage Girl Voice #7,483.

Secondly, it feels like they just took the Japanese scripts for the calls, ran them through Google Translate, and called it a day. Besides Ryo and Nozomi calling each other by their last names, there's also the Warehouse #8 password. How the hell did it change from "Father's Heaven - Nine Dragons, Mother's Earth - Comrade" to "Father Sky - Nine Dragons, Mother Earth - My Friend?!" It's like whoever was in charge of translating these phone calls never even played Shenmue.

I'm still in Niaowu and I've been enjoying the hell out of the game but the phone calls have been a major disappointment, especially as a fan of the English dubs.

I don't know how you can honestly believe that this is in any way realistic or believable. People that are best friends and potential love interests for years don't just start calling each other by their last names because they haven't seen each other in a few months.

How did the English dub introduce translation issues? Surely, the same issues would have been present in the subtitles even if the voices were only in Japanese?

Sure, hearing these mistranslations in Corey Marshall's voice is probably more distracting and perhaps they could be overlooked more if they were just being read in the subtitles, but I don't see how the dub was the cause of them.

Guess I just don’t know what to say other than that did you finish Shenmue 1? By the end of the game it was already obvious that with everything that happened between them and the whole thing with the Mad Angels and her moving to Canada already left them departing on a sour note. It speaks volumes that even Tom going back to America has far more emotional weight, too. A ton of things can happen in just a few short months, as the events of both 2 and 3 show, especially with meeting someone like Shenhua in turn of being rid of what was a minor case of young puppy love.

So the Avalanche guy we were discussing earlier who said SH3 has better faces and animations.. So I pointed out a detailed face (Tao-Get store dude) but got as a response that his animations suck because his eyebrows don't move when he speaks and said "have you ever tried talking without moving your eyebrows?". So I tried that and talked without moving my eyebrows. So uhhh. Am I a wizard for doing that or is that really uncommon? lol

Funny, I just looked in the mirror and tried saying hello to myself...I saw no eyebrows moving. Or if I did it was subtle.

Funny, I just looked in the mirror and tried saying hello to myself...I saw no eyebrows moving. Or if I did it was subtle.

Man, we have superpowers! Very useful superpower at that.

Also, man, I have heard it it all now. Everything from PS2 graphics to the old man shouldn't be able to speak without moving his eyebrows. Why does Shenmue always get the most nitpicked out of any game I know?

Even though I started a NG + I stopped last week very early on. For many of us Shenmue 3 was a culmination of 18 years of fretting, worrying and growing as indviduals. Often during some of our most formative years I might add.

I’ve posted my detailed misgivings in spoiler thread but even though I had a lot to criticize, I still thoroughly enjoyed my time with game. As I let the ending ruminate I’m still impressed they got so many things right about the core of what makes Shenmue 3 special.

Is anyone else hoping for a patch before jumping back in? I’d really love some technical improvements i.e. framerate cap for Pro owners, otherwise I will have to sign back up again for phantom so I can play this on PC.

Back