Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Not every game is or everbody. Shenmue is too boring for some people. They want typical video game stories were the hero is unbeatable and the story progressing is really paced. Shenmue always has been different and that is a good thing.

There are some points in Shenmue that should be criticized but the story is not among this points.

The combat system although it is ok is really quite bothersome, especially in connection with the eating system. It also a pity that the affinity system is not more flashed out. It also a pity that Ryo is not hanging out with Shenhua that much during the day time.

Remember, we're in the age of outrage and negativity being cool. Facts and truth dont matter, no matter how much its repeated

I am quite confrontational when discussing it with people, but it just seems idiotic to me. If you don't like the story, then fine, but I don't understand why you'd demand an ending. It wouldn't feel like Shenmue if it was condensed, in ny opinion.

So, just really starting Chobu and is anyone else annoyed at how the subtitles/English translation for the Warehouse No.8 password is different to Shenmue 1/2? The Japanese voice track password seems identical to the previous two games but this seems like quite a big mistake. Well, at least it seems the Japanese voice track got it right at least (again making me vastly prefer it).

Anyway, other than that glaring error I'm really happy with how Chobu is. Wastes no time in introducing plenty of martial arts stuck to get stuck into while also having lots of side stuff to do. Finding the little Chobu toys has been a real challenge in certain shops (still missing the one in Guan Yu's Martial Arts shop). Definitely feels closer to Shenmue 2 while the first part felt closer to Shenmue 1. Quite love it how we get two very distinct locations to explore. Getting some of the lucky hit prizes for move scrolls though was a pain!

I don't know what it is about this game/series, but even though I am capable of noticing the flaws in Shenmue 3 and I am quite critical of the story and pacing, I still can't help but end up arguing with the "Yu Suzuki had the opportunity to provide closure and instead told a rambling aimless story with a crap ending" crowd. I'm talking about the people who gasped "WHAT, SHENMUE 3 WON'T END THE STORY! WTF IS YU SUZUKI DOING?" back in 2015, and then again in 2016, and 2017, and 2018, and again in 2019.

I just don't understand the logic. I wish Shenmue 3 had better pacing and an overall better written story, but not because I just want an ending and resolution at any cst. There's seriously people who think Yu Suzuki is either pretentious, deluded, trolling fans, dragging the series out for money (what?) and all sorts of ridiculous things.
It's aimless rambling and not at all like the kitten scenes, the Nozomi kidnapping, the Long Zha and Terry, the 4 Wude, the 500$ to meet Ren, the detours in the path to Bailu Village... cause all that stuff really moved the plot forward. Clearly Shenmue has always been about the plot. Komine-san being worried about Bob Pizzeria -> more plot moving forward.

End of Shenmue 1: "and thus the saga begins."
People: what!? It doesn't end in 3? Yu suzuku is rambling.

Last edited:
I think Shenmue 3's biggest issue is to be the sequel to Shenmue II. I'm not even sure if we'll ever top Shenmue II as a video game or as an adventure.

Shenmue II is pure genius. I just can't describe how incredible that game is. The first Shenmue had this incredible impact on me and I loved it from the first moment I played it, but Shenmue II was very different. In contrast to the first game, it didn't have a huge impact on me at first, but instead grew and grew on me as I ventured through the story. The world just kept opening up and getting grander and grander, and the story was excellent. I loved the characters too; Joy, Ren, Fangmei, Xiuying, Cool Z, Yuan etc. The climax in the Yellowhead building was amazing, it felt like it was the end of the game as you witness Lan Di get away, but of course they follow up with Guilin and you finally meet Shenhua. The final disc of Shenmue II is one of my favourite moments ever in any video game. And then came that cliffhanger!

Deep down I knew Shenmue III could never live up to the hype and the brilliance of Shenmue II. There's a lot to love in Shenmue III and I am so glad it exists, but yeah, it's never going to compete with Shenmue II.

I think Shenmue 3's biggest issue is to be the sequel to Shenmue II. I'm not even sure if we'll ever top Shenmue II as a video game or as an adventure.

I remember being so hyped for Shenmue and enjoying it when it came out, but Shenmue II was really the game I was waiting for. Walking around Wan Chai, airing out books, finally getting to see that Ren chase in Lucky Plaza that was in screenshots from 1999, every scene with Xiuying, facing the four fighters in Kowloon, ascent of Yellow Head Building, Counter Elbow Assault against Dou Niu, serenity of Guilin, learning what Shenmue actually means, ending in the cave...

Epic moment after epic moment. Nothing has ever topped that.

Shenmue II is pure genius. I just can't describe how incredible that game is. The first Shenmue had this incredible impact on me and I loved it from the first moment I played it, but Shenmue II was very different. In contrast to the first game, it didn't have a huge impact on me at first, but instead grew and grew on me as I ventured through the story. The world just kept opening up and getting grander and grander, and the story was excellent. I loved the characters too; Joy, Ren, Fangmei, Xiuying, Cool Z, Yuan etc. The climax in the Yellowhead building was amazing, it felt like it was the end of the game as you witness Lan Di get away, but of course they follow up with Guilin and you finally meet Shenhua. The final disc of Shenmue II is one of my favourite moments ever in any video game. And then came that cliffhanger!

Deep down I knew Shenmue III could never live up to the hype and the brilliance of Shenmue II. There's a lot to love in Shenmue III and I am so glad it exists, but yeah, it's never going to compete with Shenmue II.
I remember being so hyped for Shenmue and enjoying it when it came out, but Shenmue II was really the game I was waiting for. Walking around Wan Chai, airing out books, finally getting to see that Ren chase in Lucky Plaza that was in screenshots from 1999, every scene with Xiuying, facing the four fighters in Kowloon, ascent of Yellow Head Building, Counter Elbow Assault against Dou Niu, serenity of Guilin, learning what Shenmue actually means, ending in the cave...

Epic moment after epic moment. Nothing has ever topped that.

Shenmue II is a masterpiece, from A to Z. The pacing is well done, the game keeps on giving. You have that huge Wan Chai with it's amazing cast (Holy shit I miss Xiuying) and then you move to fucking Kowloon. Everything has so much charm and such a strong personnality. Then you have that assault on Yellow Head Building, which by itself would've been an amazing ending. But hell no, you have that masterpiece moment in Guilin.

Shenmue II is a well crafted game and I think that's my regret with Shenmue III : It didn't hit me where Shenmue II did: the characters and the cinematic direction.
But I cant be mad at Shenmue III for pulling such a charming world on such a tight budget... Just... If only... If only the cinematic direction was just right... And the characters more fledged out...

Am I the only person who thinks each night whenever Shenhua says "Ryo, I'm going to go back to the room" what she is actually saying is "Ryo, are you going to come join me upstairs or what? *wink* *wink* FFS Ryo, I'm not exactly being fucking subtle. Read between the lines. I'M GOING TO GO BACK TO THE ROOM, RYO. COME JOIN ME"

Yeah, probably just me.

Am I the only person who thinks each night whenever Shenhua says "Ryo, I'm going to go back to the room" what she is actually saying is "Ryo, are you going to come join me upstairs or what? *wink* *wink* FFS Ryo, I'm not exactly being fucking subtle. Read between the lines. I'M GOING TO GO BACK TO THE ROOM, RYO. COME JOIN ME"

Yeah, probably just me.
Agree. This saga could turned into a fucking harem and he just look at them with that dumb face :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, probably just me.
This would make for a hilarious comic. Too bad I can't draw for shit.

Agree. This saga could turned into a fucking harem and he just look at them with that dumb face :ROFLMAO:
i see.jpg

I can't decide!
U nuts. S2 forevah.

Alright I finished the game.

More impressions about Niaowu:
Loved Bailu (8.8). First I didn't felt in love of Niaowu but it's okay, and the forklift totally got me. I would love to see a job like S2 moving boxes but it's alright. For me Niaowu it's a 7.8

Ending:
I don't get why everybody hates the ending. When I was going to the castle and suddenly appeared Shiling and Hsu with Ren it was "oh boy this is so COOL. And when they show you the cinematic fighting was SO BADASS.

Not gonna lie I thought they were fucking dead. When I talked with Shenhua about saving her father I was like "DEATH FLAG, DEATH FLAGGGGGGG", so it's nice to see they are alive.

Seeing the ending, I can definetelly say it's going to be a Shenmue 4. I think if they have doubts of it, they wouldn't let it so fucking open. I'm absolutelly sure there will be a Shenmue 4. And I think the first part of Shenmue 4 it's already done (it would be SIII but they cut it). Absolutelly sure about it.

The ending it's a 8.5 (only because the quest of searching for the values stuff was a bit crappy tho)

So...
Bailu 8.8
Niaowu 7.8
Castle 8.5
Total score: 8.4.

Not bad at all, the worst of the three tho.

Back