Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Hey, I have a question for those with good memories. During the campaign Yu Suzuki said if he raised $5,000,000 that he would be able to implement a feature he really wants to include. Can anyone remember what it was? Was it just one of the stretch goals?

Was it the affinity system? And about that... what ever happened to it? It sounded way cooler in the Edge preview than it was in practice...

Or was it the character perspective system that had to be scrapped? :(

Hey, I have a question for those with good memories. During the campaign Yu Suzuki said if he raised $5,000,000 that he would be able to implement a feature he really wants to include. Can anyone remember what it was? Was it just one of the stretch goals?

Was it the affinity system? And about that... what ever happened to it? It sounded way cooler in the Edge preview than it was in practice...

Or was it the character perspective system that had to be scrapped? :(

I remember this as it was question I asked him on his Reddit AMA. The $5M was the character perspective system as listed on the stretch goals, which was scrapped in the end.

I believe the perspective system and Baisha were cut not only for budgetary reasons for better focus on Niaowu and small upgrades from the first two games. Feels more of a slight progression of Shenmue ala ch1 to Shen2. Ryan Payton said in an interview Yu wanted to make Shen3 much more major of a shift with 70/30 new/old ideas, but Payton convinced him down to 50/50.

Fully expecting the features scrapped from the 70/30 plan to be in Shen4, but it'll still feel 50/50 to us now--because the small improvements made to Shen3 from Shen2 will make those changes less drastic--consistent with small-yet-important alterations made in each sequel from the entire saga.

Bit rambling, but you understand me, yeah?

Last edited:
RetroGaijin is a big fan of the Shenmue 3 IGN review too

FarClutteredCoati-small.gif

It’s just a bummer the PS5 is around the corner and that it’s backwards compatible. It makes buying another PS4 at this point feel kind of silly.
It's still a year away, it's not due to launch until very late November to mid-December. There will be plenty of people who don't want to go into PS5 at full price or at launch. The PS4 Pro was down to $300 for some holiday sales earlier this week, which is less than the PS5 is expected to cost at launch.

6 months out might be silly, but a year might be reasonable for people who don't buy consoles at launch.

Come on, regardless of sales or whatever, just announce Shenmue 4 already. I assume they're currently hard at work on the Shenmue 3 DLC though.
The recent kickstarter update confirms a patch coming mid Jan so they're still working away.

Me when realizing the vending machines ain't Bell Woods: "This game sucks 0/10"
Me when I found a Bell Woods T-shirt: "Best game 10/10"

I got recommended this video with lots of views, anyone know the language (russian I think) to say if this game is mocking or painting the game in a good light? Assuming its negative from the comment saying press F to your 160 bucks

Back