Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

Corey Marshall being involved is a negative imo. He's not a particularly good VA, he certainly doesn't sound 18 anymore, and only hardcore fans will care that he's involved. I hope they got an anime voice over vet to do the show justice. I'm a weeb though so I'll just watch the Japanese version♬.

Just awesome :) The main reactions I've seen are:

A) Looks really good
B) Looks better than the games (...sure, whatever, as long as you watch it 😉)
C) Gimme Yakuza anime (sit down baby boy, now's not the time)
D) Looks action-heavy (yes, it's meant to get people excited)

My prediction is it will have lots of characters people are asking for. They're not going to blow it all in the first trailer when character reveals will boost future trailers and hype.

About VO:

1. Anime will have a different director than the games.

2. With Anime, voice acting is usually exaggerated to go along with the more expressive animations.

3. Suzuki isn't involved with the voice acting and that's a good thing.

4. You can already tell that 2. Is accurate as Shenhua speaks a bit more naturally in the Anime trailer than in Shenmue 3. It's a bit less... Stilted and stoic .

Actually, that brings up a question...do you think Tom will make the cut? I mean, I could see them wanting to avoid him for any fear of "racist" callouts.
I promise you Tom won't be cut from the show. You could say he's a stereotype yeah, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the character is racist and I think most people would agree.
Also, when has the Japanese anime industry ever cared for "callouts" online? :ROFLMAO:

Tom should be fine, just don't play him as a ridiculous caricature and it's all good. Struggling hotdog vendor ostracised in a foreign land because he doesn't speak the language too well was always a surprisingly compelling backstory for an NPC, so it would be nice if he gets to be part of the supporting cast for the Yokosuka episodes.

The trailer looks better than I thought I would. I always thought that the anime has potential but I was not sure about the art style when watching the screens of the Anime. In Motion it looks really great though and the characters looks on spot. Too bad we did not see Nozomi yet though. But the characters that were featured look great.

The fluid animation of the combat sequences is also rather impressive though. I hope that the anime is also going to have some more quit story moments as well. The trailer was only catered for action. But is understable. Action is the best way to promote a new project.

All in all I would give the trailer still 10/10. Cannot wait to see the anime when it is out next year.

Corey Marshall being involved is a negative imo. He's not a particularly good VA, he certainly doesn't sound 18 anymore, and only hardcore fans will care that he's involved. I hope they got an anime voice over vet to do the show justice. I'm a weeb though so I'll just watch the Japanese version♬.
I can appreciate this opinion, but I'd respectfully disagree. Corey is a talented VA and I think he did a great job in Shenmue III. I'll concede that the original performances aren't amazing, though.

I tend to see this in a similar way I see Hayden Christensen in Star Wars (hot takes incoming, plz no prequel arguments). A divisive performance, but he played Anakin EXACTLY as George Lucas wanted him too, whether or not it was widely regarded as 'good' or not. Corey played Ryo as Yu Suzuki wants Ryo to be played: nothing more, nothing less. And similar to fans wanting Hayden in modern Star Wars, I feel like under different direction, Corey could deliver an amazing performance that is more passionate and dynamic, authentically Ryo, and without some of the awkwardness that comes with fitting squarely into the soul creators vision. Saying that, I won't be devastated if he's not cast - I trust the team immensely and will be open to whoever they have chosen if not Corey.

Also, I do prefer playing with the Japanese audio overall and will be watching the anime in both languages regardless 😊

The teaser trailer was amazing..! I should probably quell my expectations though so I don't get disappointed, but I can't help being super hyped for this.
My biggest hope is that they let Corey and the others act their asses off and not be held back to capture that 'nostalgia' factor of the awkward/stilted English dub and judging from how serious the Shenhua VA sounded in the trailer, I can't wait.

The Shenmue Anime trailer is receiving great feedback from anime fans in Brazil; and considering that most of them are fans of anime's like Naruto; Dragon Ball Z and Saint Seya Knights of the Zodiac; I'm almost certain that they will also enjoy the Shenmue Anime as well.

I think with regards to Corey, it’s really about finding the right balance. He‘s at least got to feel like Ryo, but at the same time, it just has to be directed a little more into something that is less…stilted. And I think they can do that just fine given the nature of anime. The way the games present dialog is totally different to what you would ever see in the anime and I think so long as you have a good director who can find that balance between KY Ryo and a Ryo that is at least dramatically fitting for anime then it should be fine…I think a good VO director could get a good voice reading out of Corey…no disrespect meant to Corey.

that said, I’m watching this in Japanese first run. I just prefer Japanese Ryo all the way and find it hard to go back to the English dub.

Identiy politics is not even a western phenomenon it is more an American thing. In not every western country people are that easily offended and in Japan people do not care about that stuff. And that is good.And what is racist about Tom anyway. People that call out Racism do not even know what the word means in the first place. The tradional meaning of Racism at least in my mother tongue is to put another person or culture down because of their herritage, religion or looks. Tom is presented well in the game. He is good friend of Ryo that helps him with his quest and even teaches him a technique.

But I am just a dumb old European. I will never understand who Americans that are into western idendity politics think. the whole concept is way too foreign to me.

I sort of agree, but at the same time I’ve seen it work it’s way into my country…so…

Anyways, I really don‘t want to derail this any further…this is too much of a happy day to let it be bogged down with Identity politics talk in general

Yes have to agree. This topic does not belong here. We should be glad that trailer of the Anime turned out that good and there is no need to worry about that stuff Anyway. The product is japanese.

My bad. back to something else.

I am going to watch the Anime in Japanese anyway if I have the option but I would not mind if Cory is back as Ryo in the Anime. He is not that bad. He played Ryo as he should and that contributed to the Charm of the games in the first place.

He also really tried hard and also managed it to sound similar in S3 then he did in the first 2 games. A rather impressive task considering the time that had passed since the last game. So he also might a good Ryo in the Anime.

Didn't Corey have to sound bad on purpose with III? I think he will do just fine if they let him act naturally and not force him to sound like he's bored 24/7

I thought it was interesting they showed Ryo in full GI presumably at the tournament that Yu has previously talked about but in the scene where he gets the cut he has the brown jacket and it looks like the Dojo. With Nozomi in her school uniform on the back of Ryo's bike I wonder how far in the actual Lan Di / Iwao showdown is.

So many questions

Back