Shenmue III and PS5 Boost Mode

I heard Sekiro runs at 60 fps on PS5. Was it uncapped on ps4?
Its uncapped on Pro and X. FromSoft is really bad with their engine and optimization most of the time. (on consoles)
Just look at the performance of the original Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1, the average framerate is like 20-27.
Dark Souls 3 on PS4 Pro is stuck at 40-50 fps, Bloodborne never received a Pro patch
so even when its stable 30 fps with the boost mode it still has the microstuttering problem because they never fixed it.
Sekiros Pro / X framerate is somewhere between 28 and 50, makes no sense if you ask me.
FromSoft follows the same plan as YS Net with Shenmue 3, just unlock the framerate
and let it do whatever it wants.
Or if they use a 30 fps lock (Bloodborne, Sekiro on standard PS4 and One),
its super unstable and has extreme frame pacing issues.

I watched the Digital Foundry video and it was great, although I wish they did show Shenmue III on it. Would've made for a nice reminder the game still exists!

Honestly the PS4 pro performance was choppy. High 40’s made the experience uneven (especially when running around Niaowu), this is going to feel so great at a locked 60FPS.
Never noticed, really. Admittedly, I've pretty low standards. 30 FPS good for me and the fact it is above, whether uneven or not, I don't mind.

Awesome to get confirmation. Still will wait until Slim model comes out in a few years.

Never noticed, really. Admittedly, I've pretty low standards. 30 FPS good for me and the fact it is above, whether uneven or not, I don't mind.

Awesome to get confirmation. Still will wait until Slim model comes out in a few years.
Kind of with you, I was okay with the frame rate on the PS4. It didn't bother me too badly at the 40s. But knowing it's a locked 60 on PS5 is pretty nice.

I've been meaning to go back to it as is to platinum it so PS5 will be a perfect chance to do with locked 60.

I'm not typically bothered by performance, especially in exploration games like Shenmue, but I must admit that the variable framerate, combined with the occasional stutter when transitioning between areas, plus the delayed NPC pop-in (mostly while running) did affect my enjoyment of Niaowu a bit. Bailu was totally fine, though.

Shame I won't be getting a PS5 anytime soon :hmm:

The initial loading on PS4 was pretty darn long, too. Will be a lot nicer to experience on PS5.

There you go.
DREAMCAST--Shenmue_Aug8%201_16_49.png

I'm not typically bothered by performance, especially in exploration games like Shenmue, but I must admit that the variable framerate, combined with the occasional stutter when transitioning between areas, plus the delayed NPC pop-in (mostly while running) did affect my enjoyment of Niaowu a bit. Bailu was totally fine, though.

Shame I won't be getting a PS5 anytime soon :hmm:

The initial loading on PS4 was pretty darn long, too. Will be a lot nicer to experience on PS5.
SATA SSDs are pretty affordable these days ;)

Will this fix the pop-in or is that an issue with the engine or code?

Will this fix the pop-in or is that an issue with the engine or code?
I dont think there will be more (big) advantages than the stable framerate.
Maybe it will overall take less time to load all the NPCs or items on screen around Ryo but not how far you can see them.
I dont think the PS5 itself will improve the level of detail pop in, shadow details etc in terms of distance.
In a best case scenario it will improve the invisible NPCs that you have on PS4
but i think they will still pop up when Ryo is like 10 meters away.
You can see tweaked PC Shenmue 3 videos online with improved draw distances and so on
but the thing is that the user had to change this stuff manually
and console players dont have access to these settings or files.
So if the developer really wants to make a difference, they have to update it.

Lets say there is a .ini file with a draw distance line and its set to 2 / 10 (low distance) on PS4 (a fixed setting)
and 10 / 10 would be amazing draw distance details,
then the studio has to manually update this for the PS5.
Otherwise the PS5 can have the greatest hardware of all time,
without a patch the draw distance line would still be stuck at 2 / 10.

Anyone on the forum lucky enough to get a PS5 to test this out? :p Obviously I'll have to wait until next week but I'm still curious :)
Waiting for my PS5 to arrive. Hopefully tomorrow. It got posted out yesterday so I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow. It's about half way to where I live the last I checked. (Got posted from Melbourne and I live about 4 hours out of Sydney...so half way being Sydney)

I'll check it out. I loaded up all my PS4 games from the internal hdd to the 4tb external drive in prep for simply moving them over to the PS5 tomorrow. I'll probably copy it on to the internal SSD as well and see how it fares load time wise.

God, can you imagine Shenmue 1 and 2 on that SSD? You'll barely get to read the iconic load screens :D

Last edited:
Waiting for my PS5 to arrive. Hopefully tomorrow. It got posted out yesterday so I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow. It's about half way to where I live the last I checked. (Got posted from Melbourne and I live about 4 hours out of Sydney...so half way being Sydney)

I'll check it out. I loaded up all my PS4 games from the internal hdd to the 4tb external drive in prep for simply moving them over to the PS5 tomorrow. I'll probably copy it on to the internal SSD as well and see how it fares load time wise.

God, can you imagine Shenmue 1 and 2 on that SSD? You'll barely get to read the iconic load screens :D
Exciting! I did the same before I sold my PS4 Loaded all my more important games and saves on a WD 4TB Ex' HDD, so hoping it's as simple as plugging in and transferring. I'll be curious to see how Shen 1&2 HD perform too (Not that I had any issues with the Framerate on PS4 anyways)

Im playing Shenmue III right now on my PS5 and my new Samsung Q90t 55' TV it runs better. This new TV every game i play looks breathtaking i bought because of PS5. Then I'm going to play Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on PS5. I only downloaded 4 games from my Library Shenmue 1 2 3, Nier Automata and RE4 HD. I have a ton of PS4 digital games but I dont want to fill my PS5 SSD.

So... what about the draw distance, people popping in and more crowded streets when running it on PS5?

I guess Ysnet can't be bothered providing a 4k update, making it on par with the pc version?

Back