Shenmue III and PS5 Boost Mode

So... what about the draw distance, people popping in and more crowded streets when running it on PS5?

I guess Ysnet can't be bothered providing a 4k update, making it on par with the pc version?
Im testing Shenmue 3 on both console at this moment PS4 Pro and PS5. Im not good with tech but on PS5 is running smoothly at 60fps. The draw distance is hard to say i think is about the same. It loads faster and the npc show up faster i first played Shenmue III on my base PS4 and it was bad playing it with the slow down.

Not DF but seems another channel confirms it is locked at 60FPS. Would like to get footage of Niaowu though.

I hopefully should be getting my PS5 tomorrow and will report back once I have played it myself.

I suggest you try it here and see if there is any difference in shadow draw distance like in this mod.

The pop in are slightly improved with a SATA SSD in my PS4 Pro. Imagine with PCI SSD and next gen CPU/GPU/RAM, PS5 will improve even more, although doubt will ever be entirely removed. Might be hard baked into code...? In layperson terms.

The pop in on PS5 are noticeable less but is still there im so happy with my PS5 purchased.

Update: After spending sometime in Niaowu on PS5 the pop in are still in the game but playing the game 60fps on console is a blessing.

Last edited:
Shenmue III finally finished downloading over night. I ended up starting fresh with a new 1tb External SSD for PS4 games on PS5 just because I decided ”new console, fresh start”

That and I wanted to move away from platter based drives and go full SSD with this console.

I had to redownload a lot. Shenmue III and it’s 48gb or so finally finished over night. I’m wandering around Bailu now as I type. It’s a locked 60fps. That frame rate has not dropped once for me.

Fighting feels a bit more fluid now as well given it’s locked. Will wander around a bit more. But yeah, locked 60 is nice.

also, the initial load time is so much quicker now thanks to the SSD. Same could be said of Yakuza 7.

The load times for Yakuza 7 were up to a minute long on my old extended platter based HDD I was using on PS4 Pro. But the load times on the new Samsung external SSD are so drastically improved all around. I guess the PS5 isn’t bottle necked like the PS4 was. I seem to remember reports of the PS4 being bottle necked with internal and external SSD drives and not delivering full speed capacity.

But yeah, Shenmue III runs at a locked 60 and feels a lot better without the fluctuating frame rate.

So I got my PS5 setup, here are some quick and dirty impressions.

I tried loading saves multiples time but told I needed to install DLC before loading previous saves, so I went into PS store and redownloaded all 3 DLC. Yet it still wouldn’t work. You have to go back to title card, click options to download all the Kickstarter perks and then my save finally worked.

Not before soft locking forcing to restart the game! I booted up save in Niaowu and while it definitely feels much smoother, I am not 100% certain it’s locked 60 FPS. One of the quirks of Unreal Engine is there are brief hitches so it never feels completely smooth. At harbour at a Niaowu I spun camera around, as I sprinted around and while it feels much better I would love confirmation from others especially DF with their frame graph. Entered a few fights and the improved fluidity definitely helps make game feel better.

Load times are faster and that will make experience smoother. Will report more once I get chance to play further.

It is totally possible that there are still some hiccups etc
simply because the engine / code was never adjusted to the PS5 hardware.
So even if the PS5 hardware should have the power of the Pro x2 or 3 or whatever
its still possible that there are bottlenecks in the game engine itself
or the code doesnt know how to handle 100% of the hardware.
Its not a official PS5 version, its just a game that can be played on PS5.

Its the same on PC. You can buy a brand new 4000 USD PC now and then play some
game from 2007 or whatever in forced high resolution mode etc and it is possible that the performance
will be really really disappointing, way worse than a modern demanding game,
because the older game was never adjusted to this hardware
and it cant magically recognize the newest technology like GPU clock or number of CPU cores.

This brute force mode has its limits, it cant skip or ignore fixed parameters of the code / engine,
its just trying to push the limits of the original game, as much as the game allows it, without any new adjustments.

It wouldn't surprise me if the hitches you experienced @code l name were caused by data streaming. Even on PC the game has small hitches when transitioning between areas.

Honestly I can't see PS5 breaking a sweat hitting 60fps in Shenmue III, considering the PS4 version doesn't even use the PC's max settings.

I'm most curious about NPC count and pop-up in Niaowu. My gut tells me the count will be unchanged because that's usually a hard limit. However, there's a chance the NPCs could fade in quicker/earlier.

Thank you for yours feedbacks :)
From what you see, there is no glitch to run Shenmue 3 on a ps5 (sound bug or shadow bug ect ...) ?

It wouldn't surprise me if the hitches you experienced @code l name were caused by data streaming. Even on PC the game has small hitches when transitioning between areas.

Played for about 30-40 minutes this evening and man Shenmue 3 feels really good at an almost locked 60 FPS. I actually feels pleasant to run around Niaowu and I while it may have no connection, I actually was a lot more successful with QTE duck mini game now.

I did encounter a little stutter around entrance to New Paradise. This area is really taxing and would badly stutter even on PS4 Pro.

Honestly I can't see PS5 breaking a sweat hitting 60fps in Shenmue III, considering the PS4 version doesn't even use the PC's max settings.

Well keep in mind this isn’t optimized for PS5, it’s just raw horsepower of machine which sees boost to uncapped framerate.

While it would never happen, I would love a PS5 update like Ghost of Tsushima with extra perks the PC version got. Still updated framerate makes game feel much better.

Thank you for yours feedbacks :)
From what you see, there is no glitch to run Shenmue 3 on a ps5 (sound bug or shadow bug ect ...) ?

Sorry for double post but none that I’ve seen but I’ve only played about an hour at Niaowu.

Weird things like music cutting off in evening running around New Paradise still occur but those issues were in the original release.

Sorry for double post but none that I’ve seen but I’ve only played about an hour at Niaowu.

Weird things like music cutting off in evening running around New Paradise still occur but those issues were in the original release.
Does the npc and environment pop in happen in Niaowu?

Does the npc and environment pop in happen in Niaowu?

Played 30 minute spell in Bailu this evening. I saw pop-in as foliage loaded as I looked over Verdant Bridge from fighting arena at Martiall Hall. I haven’t played PS4 version in a while so don’t quote me on this but I would be surprised if pop-in is significantly improved. Although further testing will need to be done as the load times are much quicker!

One thing I was curious about was I read PS5 displays SDR content in HDR container. Now Shenmue 3 launched without HDR lighting but maybe this setting gives more saturation than I recall. As sunset in Niaowu looked a lot more saturated.

Ps. Before I forget @danielmann861 am I the only one getting odd tune for Shenmue game card on home screen of PS5? I swear I never heard this song on any of the soundtracks. It’s this very minimalistic song. I’ve only got a few PS4 games transferred over to date but they appear to retain songs specific to the game. Maybe it’s generic default if a game doesn’t have one?

Last edited:
I have just seen Shenmue 3 got an upate (1.06) on ps4

And I found this

"Shenmue 4k 60 fps on ps5."

I don't think it is the case, I think it is just an update to fix some bugs.
Does anyone has some infos about it?

After update 1.06 the game is still 60fps on PS5?

Also anyone noticed any difference on base PS4 with 1.06?

I have just seen Shenmue 3 got an upate (1.06) on ps4

And I found this

"Shenmue 4k 60 fps on ps5."

I don't think it is the case, I think it is just an update to fix some bugs.
Does anyone has some infos about it?

Yeah I saw the update last night while finishing of Spider-Man MIles Morales. The game was never 4K on PS4 or PS4pro so unlike God of War/Last Guardian where if you ha e disk version people are finding ways to get 4K/60 FPS unpatched versions not sure if it’s applicable here.

I couldn’t find what this update did and when I looked for updates or information of Shenmue 3 title card it didn’t say anything. Maybe someone can tweet John from DF?

Back