Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

This an older build? Look at the mouths? Compare them with the TGS B Roll that were a little more expressive. Looks like its an older build to me...but can't be sure.

Ryo's run animation is a little weird...I really hope its tightened up in the final retail code. Other than that, it looks undeniably Shenmue. Fighting....still looks like the weakest element (sorry to say)...but I will reserve full judgement for when i get my hands on it this afternoon. The stream I'm watching didn't really give a great breakdown how fighting works.

English voice acting seems a lot better this time around too.

Last edited:
Very, very happy.

I can't say how satisfying it felt to simply open Ryos notebook once again.

Visually, the environments look fantastic and the characters aren't bad either(this is obviously an earlier build).

I had no problem with the combat. It felt good, if a little different. Hits felt satisfying.

Based on the stream that I'm watching, it really seems to be the animations that let down the fighting the most. The fighting looks interesting none the less..I just wish it had more money behind it (Hell, I'd say that about the whole game...I wish the game had more money behind it.) But oh well, beggars can't be choosers. Looking forward to trying it out for myself later.

Watching two streams I have a couple of observations-

- Doesn’t need to be said but this feels like a fully fledged Shenmue experience
- The environments look really beautiful
- English voice acting has some anachronisms from original title but sounds much improved
- At first the fighting honestly looked clunky and slow. Watching the Shenmue fans stream, once player learnt moves, spared, did some additional training by time he fought bookie it looked faster, more responsive. Some of the hit animation looks rather plain but I think proficient players will have a lot to dig into.

Some criticisms-

- I’m not sold on Ryo’s running animation. It appears the camera pulls in closer but it doesn’t look fluid at all
- I really loathe the picture box when going into first person mode, I hope you can disable or remove this.

The most important discovery in the trial is

the music in the turtle race is an alternative arrangement of the duck race music.

Other observations:

- The English dub is actually pretty good for the most part!
- All the character models I thought were a bit iffy in previous videos have been improved and are far more detailed.
- Only a couple of NPCs struck me as not very good looking.
- Environments are of course gorgeous.
- Combat was a bit stiff at first, but as I leveled up moves it got easier.
- THE MUSIC IS AWESOME. I recognised a few tracks from Shenmue II, but the original music is every bit as good.

On the whole it was very reassuring, very Shenmue and very good. There are a few rough edges, but I imagine that's exactly the kind of thing that YsNet is working on now. I'm very impressed. It's Shenmue.

Last edited:
Back