Shenmue III Complete collectors edition

Looks like YS wants to self finance S4. If they sell 3,000 copies of the mega bundle, they’ll be looking at $1.35m. Together with the S3 royalties they should have a decent chunk of change!

It's crazy that these things only happen because one dude at the top loves Shenmue. That's basically the entire story of Shenmue III's existence (plus the fans, of course).

I have to say, the launch CE with the lightbox did nothing for me personally. This is much more like it (more expensive, of course). It's tough because I'm very happy with my $300 KS rewards: soundtrack, t-shirt, capsule toy, art book etc...

...but that Sword of Seven Stars...that Chobu-chan...my wife ain't gunna be happy :whistle:

It seems they aren't purposefully holding this complete physical copy to a $150 ransom. A regular run of the game was shot down due to "complications" with the different SKUs out in the wild. Not sure what that could be exactly, but if this is the only way it can happen then I'll take it. At least it exists.

Bit unfortunate to see how damn angry the comments are on Twitter about this, but that's usually the case with LRG stuff.

Several editions at launch, preorder incentives, DLC season passes, luxurious vinyl sets, Steam, and now another super-duper collector's edition.

Looks as though they're indeed milking it which surely should help with Shenmue 4’s funding.

Several editions at launch, preorder incentives, DLC season passes, luxurious vinyl sets, Steam, and now another super-duper collector's edition.

Looks as though they're indeed milking it which surely should help with Shenmue 4’s funding.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’d much rather YS asked us for the money directly. A good chunk of the money generated from these will likely go to the manufacturer / LR while Deep Silver and Sega are no doubt taking a cut as well. Of the $1.3m the mega bundles will generated, I’d be surprised if YSNet ended up with more than a few hundred thousand.

I don’t think another Kickstarter is the way forward, but something like Fig would probably work quite well. There’ll come a point where the fan base has had enough of being milked, so just being upfront about it and asking for the money seems a much more viable strategy.

For real...?
I saw that too! What the hell is the point of holding a pre-order for something that is highly limited and not out for 4 - 5 months. The whole point of pre-ordering is allowing consumers the opportunity to make sure they secure a copy and also so they can monitor demand. There's no point in doing a pre-order for something that will only have 3,000 copies and is a special limited release. Just do that a couple of weeks before it's due to ship.

This is all about LRG trying to get money in the bank off consumers for something that's probably not going to be ready to ship for half a year. Knowing LRG, production will slip back and the release will be delayed.

I don't exactly blame LRG. They found their business model, it works for them and that's capitalism. They're just Frankenstein's monster and consumer's are Frankenstein. But I used them in the very early days before they became the much bigger company they are today and it was so different then. They would pick up great indie titles that just wouldn't otherwise come out in physical form, they would put them on sale AFTER they were manufactured and were ready to ship and people weren't so obsessed with collecting every limited physical release and scalpers weren't so bad, so it was much easier to guarantee a copy.

I'm glad they started doing open pre-orders, in some regards, since it means everyone who wants a copy can get one and it also means people can wait to pay day. But then allowing the same timeframe to items like this Shenmue Complete Collection that they are artificially limiting to 3,000 copies just sucks.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’d much rather YS asked us for the money directly. A good chunk of the money generated from these will likely go to the manufacturer / LR while Deep Silver and Sega are no doubt taking a cut as well. Of the $1.3m the mega bundles will generated, I’d be surprised if YSNet ended up with more than a few hundred thousand.

I don’t think another Kickstarter is the way forward, but something like Fig would probably work quite well. There’ll come a point where the fan base has had enough of being milked, so just being upfront about it and asking for the money seems a much more viable strategy.
To be fair, are we sure whoever masterminded all these different collections is even someone concerned with helping increase sales for YS in order to help Shenmue 4?

it wouldn't surprise me if it's Deep Silver trying to milk as much out of Shenmue 3 as possible, because it wasn't quite the investment they had anticipated, and YS will see little of that money.

To be fair, are we sure whoever masterminded all these different collections is even someone concerned with helping increase sales for YS in order to help Shenmue 4?

it wouldn't surprise me if it's Deep Silver trying to milk as much out of Shenmue 3 as possible, because it wasn't quite the investment they had anticipated, and YS will see little of that money.
The guy at LRG, is a big Shenmue fan so I do think this has come as a passion project to a degree. Obviously it has to be financially worth their while and I do think theres a fair few Shenmue fans, myself included who will buy it because it is Shenmue.

How long that will last over the entire fanbase I don't know but there will come a stage where the voices away from items and asking where's Shenmue 4, especially as we pouring a tonne of our own cash into buying these products.

Last edited:
Has anyone contacted Deep Sliver to see if there is any plans to release just the Complete Edition game on disc separately? I just don't want this to be a case of Streets of Rage 4 & I'm to order from LRG then find out there is a Europe distributor.

Last edited:
Has anyone contacted Deep Sliver to see if there is any plansto release just the Complete Edition game on disc separately? I jsut don't want this to be a case of Streets of Rage 4 & I'm to order from LRG then find out there is a Europe distributor.
It doesn't look like there are, but who's to say that won't change? It was said on Twitter the complete edition is exclusive, worldwide to LRG and as Spud said, it does seem like LRG approached Deep Silver/YsNet etc and not the other way around.

But in terms of what contracts are actually in place and how long the deal is in place (or if there's even anything stopping Deep Silver releasing a "complete" edition of their own for $40 or $50 if they wanted), who knows. Streets of Rage 4 isn't the only example of a LRG game getting a wider release (although it's the worse example since both versions came out roughly the same time).

Whilst the "tat" they have used to bulk up the price is pretty sweet, I probably woule be happier to settle for a $50 or even $60 version that was just a stand alone release of the game and all the DLC.

Weirdly this is listed in the "In Stock - Coming Soon" page.
Does that mean it actually releases for dispatch today? On the page details it says still in manufacturing.
Confused lol.

Weirdly this is listed in the "In Stock - Coming Soon" page.
Does that mean it actually releases for dispatch today? On the page details it says still in manufacturing.
Confused lol.
Im just gonna assume its being made and ill get it a few months from now.

So umm, has anyone had a change of heart or are we all buying this thing when it goes live?

Last edited:
Im just gonna assume its being made and ill get it a few months from now.

So umm, has anyone had a change of heart or are we all buying this thing when it goes live?
The monies have already been transferred to the accounts. Due to my Shenmue addiction I'm now homeless. At least I'll have my Shenmue collection to keep me warm at night. SO COLD 🥶🥶🥶

Me yesterday: I am not going to buy this, I have the LRG edition, PAL, Steelbook, Japanese copy, the Pixel Book one, Steam and spent 350$ on the KS. I have to stop at some point
Me today: Ok, I will keep an eye open and think through the day
Future me: TRY TO BUY

Back