Shenmue III will be at Gamescom 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that post is someone trolling. I wouldn't be surprised if my speculation that a trial version of the game will simply be the full game released early is correct (in software terms, trial and demo terminology can be used interchangeably, but more often are not), but they're not dumb enough to make it just one day early.

Yeah it's hard to tell which Kintor that is. The good 1 or a bad 1?

I think that post is someone trolling. I wouldn't be surprised if my speculation that a trial version of the game will simply be the full game released early is correct (in software terms, trial and demo terminology can be used interchangeably, but more often are not), but they're not dumb enough to make it just one day early.

I’ve sent Y’s Net an email asking for clarification on the Trial version. Hopefully I’ll hear something back.

Theres no way in hell they would release this information in a random email to a backer.

It would be in an update, surely. I call bullshit here. It makes no sense to not make that information public via an update if it were the case. I'd ignore it

Theres no way in hell they would release this information in a random email to a backer.

It would be in an update, surely. I call bullshit here. It makes no sense to not make that information public via an update if it were the case. I'd ignore it

That type of thing is very, very easy to fake...the fact that someone would go as far as to fake that to stir up controversy...you'd have to be very sad and desperate for attention.

My apologies. It wasn’t my intention to spread misinformation.

I was even going to say; "WTF is Kintor doing? He's never stirred shit up before like this."

No idea there are 2.
There's more than 2. Apparently Kickstarter comment section has a glitch, that allows more than 1 user with the same name. Then they use same avatar. Only original Kintor is defending the game there. The rest are unhappy trolls.

I expect 10 YouTube videos by tomorrow on this false claim.

"Suzuki burns backers again. Trolls by releasing promised trial edition 1 day before release."

My apologies. It wasn’t my intention to spread misinformation.
@Tsukuyomimagi99

Hey dude. No I know. My post wasn't clear and that was my bad. I was going off on Kintor more than anything.

If they reply you fair play. I'd be shocked if it were anything other than a generic reply.

No need to apologise. It was my post that wasnt clear not your intentions.

Yeah, I think they will reserve that information for an update whilst they work out the finer details. For the moment, they will probably reply to people to ask for them to wait for an update on those details at a later date.

Anyway, knowing YS Net and their history during the last four years, or four and a half almost by the time Gamescom rolls around, we'd all best prepare for another major PR fuckup come Gamescom. Same goes for Deep Silver as well.

Knowing these two companies, I think we as Shenmue fans should best prepare for another PR Desaster regarding this whole trial/demo and Gamescom thing , to save ourselves from disappointment. That way, we can't be disappointed, on the contrary, we'll be pleasantly surprised at anything they'll get right. :D

Sorry if I came across as pessimistic. Didn't want to make it sound like that at all. It's more of a way to keep our expectations in check.

Also, I intend in no way whatsoever to feed the trolls or prepare for any kind of outrage.

Quite the opposite in fact. People can't get outraged about things they've been long expecting, can they?

If the last 4 years have taught me one thing, it is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to PR regarding S3.

This pretty much sums up my attitude. No potential for outrage there.

Although it is true that the PR of Shenmue 3 was not let's say very suitable in the past, I do not think that DS is to blame mainly. The whole S3 project was cursed from day one.

They were people that saw the whole KS starter campaign as conspiracy from Sony just to test the waters how much money they would get and in the end Sony would back the game anyway.

There are some people in the internet that want Shenmue 3 to fail. At this point it would be better just to ignore the negativity

In many cases they are not negative because they want Shenmue 3 to be a better game. They are just negative because outrage culture is modern now. If nobody cares about the negativity they will shout up rather fast. They are just attention seekers if they do not get enough attention they will disappear.

I am not going to defend the missing of good marketing in Shenmue 3. The gave deserves something better.

But we are at a point were not even the best marketing people could mend the problem.

If the small internet mob has chosen a game that they want to fail you can nothing do about it.

Look at Days Gone. The game had perfect marketing, but still some internet people wanted to game to fail and started to bash it even before the release.

After the release they continued with their flaming encouraged by the bad reviews.

In the end the game survived quite well because it turned it it was a good game. Some youtubers even made clarification videos that they judged the game wrong.

Shenmue 3 might face similar fate. The war on PR is lost but if Shenmue 3 turns out to be a good game, then it will still find many fans and the haters are not to able to kill it.

Oh, definitely. DS cannot be blamed for all of it. They came onto this project in 2017. And there have been many blunders before DS ever came into the picture. Starting from the overall super unprofessional way Awesome Japan ran the KS campaign, but also on YS Net's part. The "zoom in on Shenhua's behind" clip during the KS, the Gamescom 2017 "no facial animations" teaser and so on. Sure, DS decided to show that teaser but a publisher can only ever work with the material the developer provides them and YS Net should have at least avoided those awkward close shots to Ryo's face.

Anyway, not gonna go back into all of the PR blunders this project has seen but I just wanted to stick up for Deep Silver. Sure, they have committed their share of mistakes but they're in good company as far as this project is concerned. And no matter what way you look at it, they sure as heck have contributed a lot of positive things to S3.

Well PR blunders aside, if you took some time to look at the biggest picture of them all:

• We are getting Shenmue III
  • Deep Silver have been influential, and possibly the sole reason for every decision make to make this game the "Shenmue III you have wait for", thus turning what ultimately was a false promise, based on budget, into a reality.

Although it is true that the PR of Shenmue 3 was not let's say very suitable in the past, I do not think that DS is to blame mainly. The whole S3 project was cursed from day one.

They were people that saw the whole KS starter campaign as conspiracy from Sony just to test the waters how much money they would get and in the end Sony would back the game anyway.

There are some people in the internet that want Shenmue 3 to fail. At this point it would be better just to ignore the negativity

In many cases they are not negative because they want Shenmue 3 to be a better game. They are just negative because outrage culture is modern now. If nobody cares about the negativity they will shout up rather fast. They are just attention seekers if they do not get enough attention they will disappear.

I am not going to defend the missing of good marketing in Shenmue 3. The gave deserves something better.

But we are at a point were not even the best marketing people could mend the problem.

If the small internet mob has chosen a game that they want to fail you can nothing do about it.

Look at Days Gone. The game had perfect marketing, but still some internet people wanted to game to fail and started to bash it even before the release.

After the release they continued with their flaming encouraged by the bad reviews.

In the end the game survived quite well because it turned it it was a good game. Some youtubers even made clarification videos that they judged the game wrong.

Shenmue 3 might face similar fate. The war on PR is lost but if Shenmue 3 turns out to be a good game, then it will still find many fans and the haters are not to able to kill it.

Very astute comment. I am much more cautiously optimistic for the success of Shenmue 3 then I was before if the signs are any indication. Despite the shitstorm, Shenmue 3 collector editions are selling out and in the Europe and Japanese Amazon stores the preorders are doing really well. On top of that, Metro Exodus despite the controversy it got, managed managed to outsell it’s predecessor 2.5 times. Along with the sales of Coffee Stain, earned Deep Silver a total profit of 74 million Euro’s or 83 million dollars. In fact the only game of their’s that failed recently was Homefront, and that was due to it being a rushed product.

Seeing as how Shenmue 3 has been delayed multiple times, and given Suzuki’s track record of not releasing half-assed games, I am sure we’ll get a stellar product. Now all we can do is hope that it’ll sell enough. While Deep Silver and Awesome Japan have done a poor job of advertising this game, I can see now why Suzuki went with them as a publisher.

Last edited:
Regardless of what's being communicated, even I couldn't defend if they had Shenmue III playable at a public event before a release is rightfully given to backers. I can understand some of the past decisions that have been questionable, but that one does indeed cross a line. There is literally zero benefit to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back