Shenmue III will be "playable at E3" for press

Yeah--sure they're small team, but Yu's standards for his programmers has always been lofty. Weren't AM2 considered the king of the studios back in the 1980-2002 glory period? Doubt the veterans who followed him from Sega (or their post-Sega work), nor any new hires don't live up to the same high expectations now.

Last edited:
I think its wonderful the game is coming along well and previews are going out, however, I hope this is a demo of one of the staff playing it at most, a new video or such, but not a playable press demo.

If its playable for press before the demo is out for backers its a nice shit on the plate for all the people who actually FUNDED the game.

Like it says right here on the kick starter;

Pledge $100 or more
SHENMUE 3 TRIAL VERSION
Be the first anywhere to play Shenmue 3.

It'll be a big fuck you to the fans IMO if press get to play this before pledgers.

What have press done for Shenmue all these years compared to what the fans have relentlessly done for the same time

Its important to understand that those kickstarter rewards were created when it was just Ys net and Shibuya forking the bill for Shenmue 3. Now that Deep Silver is involved, Ysnet must go by what they say.

If there was no Deep Silver, we'd have a ton of content revealed for Shenmue 3 already and the backer demo would be ours first. Hell, Shenmue 3 might already be out.

However, Deep Silver are pumping a significant amount of money into Shenmue 3, which in the long run benefits us all. We get a better game, Suzuki gets more time to make the game and work on his dream, etc.

From the marketing side of things. While things haven't started yet, i trust an established company with a history of successful games more than say Awesome Japan. The press must get access to the game for previews and to build interest. its just the nature of the business. We'll get a demo sooner or later.

LSG and ShenSun are correct. You have to "play the game" (pun not intended) when it comes to traditional promotional cycles, and it would be unfair to hold Ys Net to a single sentence written before development began, let alone before the current publisher was in the frame.

Anybody genuinely seeing it as an affront to backers, considering the additional time and resources Deep Silver have allowed the game to have, is really missing the big picture; and at worst just looking for something to get mad at. The trial is still coming for backers, and I would not be surprised at all if it comes hot on the heels of this E3 demo for press.

Last edited:
I think its wonderful the game is coming along well and previews are going out, however, I hope this is a demo of one of the staff playing it at most, a new video or such, but not a playable press demo.

If its playable for press before the demo is out for backers its a nice shit on the plate for all the people who actually FUNDED the game.

Pledge $100 or more
SHENMUE 3 TRIAL VERSION

It'll be a big fuck you to the fans IMO if press get to play this before pledgers.

What have press done for Shenmue all these years compared to what the fans have relentlessly done for the same time

Melodramatic much?

Pledge $100 or more
SHENMUE 3 TRIAL VERSION

Excellent point, but the sneaky lawyer in me says they could technically worm their way out of this and even be correct by saying "this isn't Shenmue 3, this is Shenmue 3 beta 0.9647 :^)))". There's also the fact they've already had a team dedicated to playtesting it for a while now further muddling things.

That said, Let's Get Sweaty also makes a good point from a pragmatic point of view. Either way, my hunch based on absolutely nothing is we're getting the demo alongside an E3 showing. I realize I'm setting myself up for disappointment here, but the hypetrain is completely out of my control.

I feel like we don't have to worry about the stuff they show being bad because it is Deep Silver finally giving us something, instead of just Yu Suzuki sitting on a stage talking about screenshots. We know Yu had to twist their arms to but just a few seconds of fighting in the last trailer, so I'd assume some great stuff is gonna be shown by them.

I think Sega already said a thousand times that they are not responsible for Shenmue 3,
they are only responsible for Shenmue 1 and 2 and the re releases.
And we have to make this separation for Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and the Shenmue 3 retail game too.
Deep Silver is not responsible for things that someone on Kickstarter promised 4 years ago.
Deep silver is also not responsible for the Kickstarter merchandise or that your name is listed in the credits.
So if there is some conflict in the future with maybe delayed demos for backers
or your backer merchandise didnt arrive or the quality was bad or whatever,
that has nothing to do with Deep Silver.
They will just do their normal publishing routine, including E3 and Gamescom stuff, preview builds for IGN or whatever,
one or two final trailers for retail and maybe some free copies for influencers. I doubt that they will post anything about
shipping Kickstarter merchandise or a available backer demo.

Pledge $100 or more
SHENMUE 3 TRIAL VERSION

You are taking a single line far too literally. Staff themselves will have played it, Cedric will have had a go.... take it from me i know first hand that people have had a controller in their hands getting a taste of the game. Thats just the nature of the beast. It isnt a fuck you to fans at all. If you want to get technical, the Kickstarter was speaking to us, the gamers who in turn are also the backers. By saying backers of this tier will play the game first, it simply means that backers of that tier will get to play the trial version over non backers, who wont get to try the game, from a gamer point of view. When a journalist gets to have a hands on test at E3 or wherever, it isn't for the reasons we play it for, ie, enjoyment, gratification etc. They will be playing it to sample the work and, in turn, to critique it. Report on it. That's their job.

As for what have the press done, that's a valid point. But i prefer to focus on the future now, and what the press can do. They have already been doing it after Monaco, with almost, if not every press report coming from the secret hands on at MAGIC '19 being extremely positive. In turn, how many people read those articles, and are starting to be convinced to put their hands in their pockets to buy the game?

I mean the overreaction here is a bit much. You think they are having meetings, smoking cigars and asking, "how can we fuck over fans? Oh, i have an idea..". Come on now.

I was not a backer so it does not concern me to be honest but i also think it is too early too panic As Long as the backers get their demo (and I am quite certain they will) everything will be fine. Shenmue 3 is going now the way of a Standard game in the industry so it is just natural that journalists and other people with some influence or influential friends will get the demo first.

That is unfortunate, becase I lost faith in the gaming press and I do not think the gaming press will have to say nice things about the game. Especially after the Days Gone debacle where they roasted a complete fine game that did nothing wrong. I am afraid what the fools at gamespot and IGN USA will say about S3.

But that is how the promotion circle works unfortunately. And besides the unfortunate twist that the gaming press get's its hand on the game the tradtional promotion circle has some advantages too. More budget for marketing and i am quite sure that Deep Silver will do a good job at promoting the game in a nice way.

Last edited:
I was not a backer so it does not concern me to be honest but i also think it is too early too panic As Long as the backers get their demo (and I am quite certain they will) everything will be fine. Shenmue 3 is going now the way of a Standard game in the industry so it is just natural that journalists and other people with some influence or influential friends will get the demo first.

That is unfortunate, becase I lost faith in the gaming press and I do not think the gaming press will have to say nice things about the game. Especially after the Days Gone debacle where they roasted a complete fine game that did nothing wrong. I am afraid what the fools at gamespot and IGN USA will say about S3.

But that is how the promotion circle works unfortunately. And besides the unfortunate twist that teh gaming press get's its hand on the game the tradtional promotion circle has some advantages too. More budget for marketing and i am quite sure that Deep Silver will do a good job at promoting the game in a nice way.

I'm okay if we're not getting a demo. I'd be annoyed but they could sweaten the deal by showing us the 15 minutes video the press saw.

The demo is coming.

Parmi les objectifs du Kickstarter, il y avait une démo jouable de prévue, avant la sortie et réservée aux backers. Où en êtes-vous à ce sujet ?
Among the Kickstarter rewards, a playable demo was planned, due to come out before release and exclusive to backers. Where are you at on this subject?

C'est une promesse et elle sera tenue, évidemment. Mais je ne peux pas parler des détails pour le moment.
It's a promise and we will fulfill it, of course. I can't speak about details for now though."

Source (Gameblog interview with Yu Suzuki at MAGIC 2019):

There will probably be a grace period for games media to get their impressions and previews out there, but otherwise I don't see backers who qualify waiting much longer than a month for the trial. Absolute latest would be maybe a week or two before release.

I dunno if either the E3 demo for press or backer trial will be used much for feedback purposes, though. It's too late in the process for anything meaningful to change, and Ys Net have been using a pool of 20-ish external players for those reasons anyway. Smartly, I think; because it helps focus the feedback more than the cacophony you might get with a wider testing base.

Plus, I'm assuming most of these 20 are industry professionals and might be able to articulate their complaints in a more helpful way than your average gamer, or even gaming journalist.

The demo is going to hit around E3 is my guess--gives time to garner feedback and maybe work on adjustments and improvements for launch or a Day 1 patch or whatever.
That would be nice, just after E3 would be decent timing.

I don't know how much content would change because of the demo feedback but I certainly think it could help with minor adjustments/bug fixes if they've missed something.

Personally, I hope the press demo is just a 3D render of Ryo's face that you can push and pull around with the analog stick. Anything more would be a cowardly backer betrayal by YS Net. Also, I hope all the journalists who posted previews recently have their eyes melted from their skulls for casting them upon gameplay, before ME, a B A C K E R. Filthy dogs.

Fans alone won't be able to fund an AAA Shenmue IV. Heck, we couldn't even achieve that on S3 despite people throwing thousands @ the KS. Yu & team needs to convert new faces and if this is what it takes to finish the saga on a glorious note...I'm fine with it. The conclusive finale will be much sweeter for it.
I agree.

Shenmue IV won't be premiered at E3 during Sony's event or have 20 years of emotion/nostalgia supporting it.

They're gonna have to build Shenmue IV off the success of Shenmue III.

Maybe I'm in the minority. But as a Kickstarter backer, I'm not concerned at all if they do a demo or not. I know it was mentioned in the beginning, but personally just having Shenmue III come out at all is good enough for me. I don't need any credits, or anything like that. Just the full on Shenmue III experience as YS originally intended. At best, a What's Shenmue III type of demo will suffice to make me happy.

Back