Update 88: Shenmue Documentary Film, Shenmue I & II, Other Info

There's always the possibility that it could be delayed until 2020 too.

But let's not descend into pessimistic speculation. With updates being more frequent, voice work happening and funding/surveys closing shortly, I'm sure it won't be long to wait to hear about a potential release date and see some gameplay.

I doubt they would announce his non-attendance for any reason other than to say 'hey, Shenmue 3 won't be at Gamescom.'...
Deep Silver are in control and why would Yu need to be there just to show off a trailer? I understand what you mean but there is a small possibility of S3 being shown in some capacity.

Shenmue 3 won't be at gamescom? I almost feel sick. We made the game happen and this is how they repay us? I know they didn't so much as say 'Shenmue 3 won't be at gamescom' but now I'm confused if it will be if Yu Suzuki isn't going? Man..

Last edited:
Deep Silver are in control and why would Yu need to be there just to show off a trailer? I understand what you mean but there is a small possibility of S3 being shown in some capacity.

Then they wouldn't have mentioned it at all, assuming they would want to keep it a surprise, or they would have said something like "However, Deep Silver will be there representing YS Net and the rest of the Shenmue 3 team".

We're arguing over semantics really, because to me that is saying in black and white that Shenmue 3 will not be at Gamescom.

I'm just confused by it 'when we have some new information about future appearances we will update you.' Were they talking about gamescom or events after gamescom?

Pretty lame they still don't have anything they can show us. You would think that the decision to extend the slacker backer campaign until the end of the month was made to accommodate last minute interest generated from a Gamescom reveal.

Pretty lame they still don't have anything they can show us. You would think that the decision to extend the slacker backer campaign until the end of the month was made to accommodate last minute interest generated from a Gamescom reveal.

The extension is for incoming new fans from the Shenmue I & II rerelease.

So we won't likely see anything more about Shenmue 3 during this year, right? :unsure:

Shenmue 3 won't be at gamescom? I almost feel sick. We made the game happen and this is how they repay us?

You're acting as if the game has been cancelled. Try and keep this in perspective.

An appearance that was never announced has been confirmed as not happening. Nothing tangible has changed since this time yesterday.

Ok well if that turns out to be true then I'm done relying on them to show us the game. Only thing I care about is seeing the game and the loyal fans that made the game happen. It's always been that way anway. Like at high school, some friends used to make fun of me for my love of Shenmue but I didn't care as Shenmue was more important to me.

TGS or PGW are the only real candidates for it to make any appearance at a major show this year, assuming Yu's lack of presence means no Gamescom information on the game.

PSX is usually announced by now, I think and last year was a pretty horrid show compared to previous years. Feedback was pretty negative for The View: PSX that I doubt they'll do one this year, at least not in the same format.

I'm not too disappointed as at least acknowledging a no-show is better than a no-show with radio silence.

But...2 years since the last footage and 3 years since the project announcement and we're still looking to the horizon for the current state of the game tells me that someone's comment of "late 2019" as a release is probably accurate.

I am perplexed they'd choose to not show when S1 and S2 are coming, as well as extending the SB. People's concerns are growing and eventually, for all of us our optimism will wear down.

But...2 years since the last footage and 3 years since the project announcement and we're still looking to the horizon for the current state of the game tells me that someone's comment of "late 2019" as a release is probably accurate.

I am perplexed they'd choose to not show when S1 and S2 are coming, as well as extending the SB. People's concerns are growing and eventually, for all of us our optimism will wear down.

Have you seen this recent video?...

What is your reasoning for expecting Shenmue III to be complete in 3 years when most AAA games take much longer?

Last edited:
Do not forget The Game Awards, they fill up with trailers all the time

Interesting update. I like to see the support that developers give to fan projects like this documentary.

About Gamescom, I think Deep Silver will represent the game, but without any big announcements. Maybe some screenshot or teaser with voice acting and facial expressions. When they don’t have any content of Shenmue 3, YSNet usually is very straightforward.

This year will not have much to announce, apparently, but it's good to see so many updates. Yu Suzuki is giving his all along with Deep Silver. 2019 will be an excellent year, and until then we have the rereleases.

I hope the "specialized gaming media" does not press the situation. Several sites detonated the game because the last year's teaser and for no appearance at E3 2018.

The extension is for incoming new fans from the Shenmue I & II rerelease.

Yes, that too, but the re-release combined with some Shenmue III news would've had maximum impact and I was hoping that was the intention.

But, they could always release some tidbits via Kickstarter update in lieu of an actual gamescom presence.

Have you seen this recent video?...

What is your reasoning for expecting Shenmue III to be complete in 3 years when most AAA games take much longer?

Yes, I have seen that footage. It is variation on the village scene. I like how it looks. I really do. But like many others, I'd love to see an updated look of Ryo from the front, as his design looks great in the battle screen.

Nowhere in my comments did I say I expected the game to be complete this year. I never said that.

I'm well aware of how long game development takes. That is partly why I said late 2019 is probably accurate and I'm *okay* with that.

I'm also aware of how a gaming community can react to a slow-burning Kickstarter, same with click-happy journalists.

Please don't think I'm being a knee-jerk Negative Nancy.

This is one of the most disappointing updates I've seen to date.
First: it says that they're still unconfident with what they currently have to show any gameplay footage.
Second: it says they won't engage in any future communications with Sega and/or d3t regarding save files compatibility with Shenmue I & II HD.
and Third: this could indicate that the release date could very possibly be pushed back again.
What does this all mean? to me, it means that the Shenmue III project has had a rough start, and development was not going well so they had to come up with some contingency plan: they outsourced part of it and brought DS on board. This "may" have put the project back on the right track, but as of today, they think it's still not good enough so they decided not to show anything publically till they're more confident.
I'd say this can be the right decision IF (and only if) they decide to become more transparent with backers, for we have the right to know what's really going on behind their closed doors through transparent and more meaningful updates.

Last edited:
Is it possible they're waiting for all the newcomers to the series to actually play 1&2? Then once some time has passed and people are itching to play the 3rd...BAM the new trailer shows up later this year.

Back